Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need paint color recomendation

I am about to pain the interior of a rental property.

The property is in the San Francisco area and is a nice property, the rent
will be about $2100 a month which is on the low side as similar rentals are
$2600 per month. Just wanted to mention this to put it in perspective as
the bay area has insane home prices.

Picked Kelly Moore Navajo White for the walls for the living and dining
rooms and bedrooms.

Was thinking of using eggshell on the walls; is this a good or bad idea?
Future maintenance will be to fix holes in the walls (where thiings were
hung on the walls), as the tenants move out. So I am not necessarily
looking for eggshell in order to wash marks off the wall. Most of the
upkeep will be touch up paint. So for touchup which would be better flat or
eggshell?

I need a color for the trim and ceilings, I wanted to keep the ceiling and
trim color the same if possible. Swiss coffee? Antique white?

Looking for a popular stock Kelly Moore trim / ceiling color.

Of course flat on the ceiling and semi gloss on the trim, doors, and window
frames.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 8:51 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
[...]

Go to your local paint store. Not a big box store - a real paint
store. Take along a copy of your post with you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Tube Audio" wrote:

[...]

Nobody cares about that ****. What tube gear are you using these days,
and how do you like it? That's what we want to know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 8:52 pm, "John H" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"Tube Audio" wrote:

[...]

swiss coffee for the trim, eggshell is ok and it cleans better than flat- Hide quoted text -

Use a premixed color, not a custom color, next time you repaint the
paint will match, white ceiling, semi gloss trim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:29:45 -0700, ransley
wrote:

On Oct 11, 8:52 pm, "John H" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article ,
"Tube Audio" wrote:

[...]

The above is an excellent point.

However, as a landlord I always go to a big box store for interior
paint and buy their house brand medium grade in antique white, flat
for most walls and semi-gloss enamel for trim kitchen and bath.

I've had no better luck buying top grade paint at specialty paint
stores. Tenants scuff it, scrape it off, put holes in walls and have
food stains that require repainting even after using the very best
paint.

Due to buying and using the same grade and color for years, if I'm
lucky and a tenant hasn't truly devasted the place, I can often get by
with just a touch up job.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tube Audio wrote:
[...]

As for the touch up question: Flat would be better. BTW, a real paint
store like Kelly Moore can easily answer that type of question.

For rental, you are smart to go with the stock neutral colors. Swiss
Coffee is extremely popular for trim, but that's up to you. Stick to
just 2 colors for rental.
--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 6:51 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
[...]

Think art gallery, basic stock white. after a show or a tennant
sometimes you can blend in touchups and not have to repaint the entire
wall.
Always always always box your paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote
ransley wrote:

Use a premixed color, not a custom color, next time you repaint the
paint will match, white ceiling, semi gloss trim.

The above is an excellent point.

However, as a landlord I always go to a big box store for interior
paint and buy their house brand medium grade in antique white, flat
for most walls and semi-gloss enamel for trim kitchen and bath.

I've had no better luck buying top grade paint at specialty paint
stores. Tenants scuff it, scrape it off, put holes in walls and have
food stains that require repainting even after using the very best
paint.

==
Perhaps because you're using flat on the walls?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The name of the game is profit for rentals. Also ease of repairs. If all
rentals use same color, easier to touch up paint as needed.

Neutral colors are best (white) for rentals and selling houses.

Find where you can get the best deal on 5 gallon cans of white which will
cover well. And get a brand/color which you will be able to buy again for
years to come.

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:00:43 -0400, "Kirk R."
wrote:

Doug wrote:

The above is an excellent point.

However, as a landlord I always go to a big box store for interior
paint and buy their house brand medium grade in antique white, flat
for most walls and semi-gloss enamel for trim kitchen and bath.

I've had no better luck buying top grade paint at specialty paint
stores. Tenants scuff it, scrape it off, put holes in walls and have
food stains that require repainting even after using the very best
paint.

Due to buying and using the same grade and color for years, if I'm
lucky and a tenant hasn't truly devasted the place, I can often get by
with just a touch up job.

Don't blame the paint. You need to take a serious look at the place
you're renting, and why your place attracts pond scum. If you have that
big of a turnover rate, to keep you busy painting, you must be a slumlord.

A rather insulting and presumptuous posting.

1. Did I say that I had a big turnover rate?
I've had some leave after one year, others have stayed for 15 years.

2. I try to not refer to anyone as "pond Scum". Is that how you view
folks?

3. Did I say that I was "busy" painting???

Doug

Paint Color Discrepancy - how to ensure color accuracy? ciac Home Repair 1 January 21st 07 01:02 AM
Paint color of door? mo Home Repair 9 August 13th 06 04:08 PM
Which color to paint? D. Gerasimatos Home Ownership 2 June 14th 05 09:22 PM
LeBlond Paint Color Jeffrey M. Borning Metalworking 0 February 8th 05 04:35 AM
HELP! what color to paint our house? [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 8th 04 03:53 PM