Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

D. Gerasimatos

Default Which color to paint?

I am curious if there is a 'standard' or 'traditional' way to paint
windows, doors, and screens. By this I mean that if the exterior color
is one color and the interior color is another then which color should the
"sides" of doors, windows, and screens be painted? Are they usually
painted the interior color or the exterior color? Tangentially, what about
interior doors that connect two rooms of different colors? Which color is
the side of such a door usually painted? Lighter color, darker color,
color of the room most likely to be entered from, or something else?

Dimitri

No

I make such decisions on visibility. Sit on that room with the door 1/2
open/close and look at it. Now, close or open the door to its position where
it will normally be. Look at it again. Now, close the door fully. If you
were to paint the edges of the door will you see a different color around
the edge when the door is closed?

What I'm saying is there is probably no right way. I do what will look best
under most situations.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:43:02 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

.....Tangentially, what about
interior doors that connect two rooms of different colors? Which color is
the side of such a door usually painted? Lighter color, darker color,
color of the room most likely to be entered from, or something else?

LOL!!! My house, all the walls are the same color, and all the doors
are natural wood as are the jambs, heads and casings. The edges of
the doors, and the trim, are not painted any color at all (though they
are the color of the wood). Your question doesn't occur in my
house!!!

(But "normally" a painted door is the color of the trim - and if the
trim was different colors on each side, I would say change over at the
stop or the point of change from nterior to exterior. If the door
opens "out" of the room, paint the edges the outside color, if it
opens "in" then the inside. That way when the door is open the edges
will match the room it is in.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Camp Painting help Needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 14 February 19th 05 10:17 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM