Default HELP! what color to paint our house?

"Earth tones" leaves a lot of room for choice.
Since this is important to you, I suggest a sample panel.
We used a 48 inch square panel of plywood with siding and corner board
applied.
Small cans of paint are cheap and a panel this size gives a better
sense of the final effect than a chip.
The panel can be painted inside in any season and positioned to catch
the sun for different wall orientations.

TB

Red Neckerson

Paint it red........definitely red.........

David Martel

Jack,

Your link isn't working. As someone else suggested get a bunch of pint
cans in various colors. Paint the back of the house near the ground, near
the trim with these samples. Invite your friends over for a cook out and get
their opinions and votes. Then ignore all of that and paint it to please
yourself. This Winter go to the library and flip through the house
painting/home decor books.

Good luck,
Dave M.

Norminn

Your link doesn't work, so I have no idea what the house looks like.
You have primed, but not painted? That may spell trouble unless you
re-prepare it when you paint. Check with a good paint dealer.

As for color, it will never look the way you think it will. As others
have said, try samples. A good graphics program, like Paintshop Pro, is
fun for fiddling with color schemes. If you have real, natural stone on
the house, a muted beige or taupe may set it off; muted blue or green in
a deeper shade for accent. A lot can change the appearance of your
final choice, such as reflected strong sunlight (as from a sandy beach)
or color reflection from landscape. A lot of shade will dim the hue, and
strong sun will lighten and diminish it, as well. I'd buy a quart of
cheap latex paint and try colors on a sheet of plywood. You can
purchase inexpensive acrylic artist colors to mix to the color you want
to try. When the sample looks right, take it to a paint dealer (not a
box store) to match.

A big tube of burnt umber, along with primaries (blue, red, yellow),
black and a nice green will get you lots of interesting neutrals (yes,
they all have colors in them).

G. Morgan

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:38:49 GMT "Jack"
used 39 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

As the files are rather large, please wait a minute for the .jpg's to load.

[IMG] Our Rancher2.JPG 07-Dec-2004 10:18 1.3M
[IMG] Our Rancher4.JPG 07-Dec-2004 10:17 1.2M
[IMG] Our Rancher5.JPG 07-Dec-2004 10:17 1.2M
[IMG] Our Rancher_front pa.. 07-Dec-2004 10:18 2.5M
[IMG] Our_Rancher.JPG 07-Dec-2004 10:19 1.2M

Yeah right....

Nobody here cares what color you paint your friggin house. If you want to see
what different colors would look like, open the images in a graphics program and
change that god-awful yellow to something more palatable.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Jack wrote:
Season's Greetings!

We have lived in our [very linear] Pacific Northwest island

semi-rural 28
year old rancher for just 4 years and have finally completed most of

the
outside structural repairs and renos ..mostly around back. Whew!

This Spring it will finally come time to paint so we've decided to do

some
advance preparation.

During those 4 years we agonized over what colors to paint the house

and
trim but with little consensus. We prefer the earth tones to

harmonize with
the surrounding vegetation [as well as the natural rock entranceway]

and are
open to any suggestions on a color scheme to use. We aren't adverse

other interesting color combinations.

If you are interested in putting some time into some selection of

colors we
would certainly appreciate your input. Some actual paint sample web

links
would be an obvious help.

To assist in the selection of a palate, I had taken some pix of the

front of
the house of which can be found he

http://wfiles.jetirc.net/Our_Rancher_2004

As the files are rather large, please wait a minute for the .jpg's to

load.
Also, the siding is cedar channel style and is primed ..no, it's not

weave as the pix might indicate. lol
And, I've included a shot that was photo-stitched into a pan of the

house.
Not that professional but still hope the image will come across okay.

Need any more details? Please ask.

Thanks,
Jack

How about a nice beige/khaki color on the siding (blending with the
rock wall), keep the trim white and the door either a nice gloss black
or something in the red family? The addition to the right [facing the
house] could be kept white to tie in with the white trim.

I dunno...

willshak

On 12/6/2004 10:38 PM US(ET), Jack took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Season's Greetings!

We have lived in our [very linear] Pacific Northwest island semi-rural 28
year old rancher for just 4 years and have finally completed most of the
outside structural repairs and renos ..mostly around back. Whew!

This Spring it will finally come time to paint so we've decided to do some
advance preparation.

During those 4 years we agonized over what colors to paint the house and
trim but with little consensus. We prefer the earth tones to harmonize with
the surrounding vegetation [as well as the natural rock entranceway] and are
open to any suggestions on a color scheme to use. We aren't adverse to
other interesting color combinations.

If you are interested in putting some time into some selection of colors we
would certainly appreciate your input. Some actual paint sample web links
would be an obvious help.

To assist in the selection of a palate, I had taken some pix of the front of
the house of which can be found he

http://wfiles.jetirc.net/Our_Rancher_2004

As the files are rather large, please wait a minute for the .jpg's to load.
Also, the siding is cedar channel style and is primed ..no, it's not a
weave as the pix might indicate. lol
And, I've included a shot that was photo-stitched into a pan of the house.
Not that professional but still hope the image will come across okay.

Need any more details? Please ask.

Thanks,
Jack

If you have a paint program on your computer (PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro,
etc), open your photos in the program.
Using a selection tool, select only the painted walls. In the colors
adjustment, select the Hue, Saturation, Lightness filter.
Slide the Hue control from end to end, the selected wall will change
color as the slider goes through the various hues.
Here's just a sample using Paint Shop Pro 9 (pay no attention to the
colors I picked, it was just to show how it works)
http://www.willshak.com/temp/

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Ownership 21 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
vinyl paint on house lee Home Repair 6 July 11th 03 04:27 AM