Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint Color Discrepancy - how to ensure color accuracy?

Hi The

Please see the attached photo. The color to the left was Benjamin Moore
Gray Wisp 1570, the soft beige to the right is Benjamin Moore Alaskan
Skies 972.

The boards to the bottom are unprimed sheet rock, while the test
patches on the wall are painted on Benjamin Moore primed surfaces.

The color came out quite different on the primed surface than the
swatch card, while the bare sheet rock actually looked closer to the
original color on the swatches.

I thought with the primer applied, I was supposed to get a more
accurate color from the paints. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong,
and what can I do to ensure color accuracy?

Please note that lighting conditions, reflection angles, layering and
other factors have all been considered and tested. The problem
persists, and this kind of color discrepancy makes the color swatches
rather useless. It has just become impossible to select BM colors based
on swatches.

Please help. Thank you.

Dan

picture location:
http://lh4.google.com/image/ciaconne...JPG?imgmax=576

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Jan 2007 16:27:44 -0800, ciac wrote:

Hi The

Please see the attached photo. The color to the left was Benjamin Moore
Gray Wisp 1570, the soft beige to the right is Benjamin Moore Alaskan
Skies 972.

The boards to the bottom are unprimed sheet rock, while the test
patches on the wall are painted on Benjamin Moore primed surfaces.

The color came out quite different on the primed surface than the
swatch card, while the bare sheet rock actually looked closer to the
original color on the swatches.

I thought with the primer applied, I was supposed to get a more
accurate color from the paints. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong,
and what can I do to ensure color accuracy?

I have mixed and sold many brands of paint, including Benjamin Moore, since
1965. Most of the time the paint does not exactly match the chip. In fact,
chips of the same color but from different manufacturing batches usually
don't even match each other.

Even though computer color matchers usually just approximate the color
instead of matching it, sometimes you are better off trying to match the
chip with one and using the resulting formula instead of the one that the
paint company says you should use.