Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wok fumes

I am having a problem with my neighbor. He recently installed a vent
over his cooktop for the porpuse of venting his wok fumes to the rear
of his house. We live in attached home row-style townhomes. I
recently
notices these fumes eminating from my internal heat/ac duct work. We
have forced air. He did all of the work himself in the middle of
the
night. We appoaced him on the issue but he simply said the fumes were
coming from my kitchen. I closed off some of the duct lines to try
and
isolate the problem and now there are no fumes in the ducts but we
are
still getting inundated with the odor. They ofen cook late like
9:00-10:00PM and its very disturbing. We get the fumes in our bedroom
also. Can anyone help me find some solution or some recourse.

Thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 1:16 pm, wrote:
[...]

does it vent through his roof? or is it directed into the attic?

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Norminn wrote:
wrote:

I am having a problem with my neighbor. He recently installed a vent
over his cooktop for the porpuse of venting his wok fumes to the rear
of his house. We live in attached home row-style townhomes. I

Check this link:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...2c8e7b00d69827

The guy had your IDENTICAL problem, and probably has an identical
solution. Good wuk.

The guy not only had an identical problem, but posted the identical text,
and had an identical email address. He also posted the exact same
thing to misc.legal and alt.building.construction a year ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SPAMMING TIME WASTER...... Wok fumes

wrote:

Look bub, you asked the identical question on April 21, 2006.

Why waste folks' time here?

PLONK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...wse_frm/thread...

The guy had your IDENTICAL problem, and probably has an identical
solution. Good wuk.

- The guy not only had an identical problem, but posted the identical
text,
- and had an identical email address. He also posted the exact same
- thing to misc.legal and alt.building.construction a year ago.

Hey, give him a break. Maybe he moved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is vented across hi ceiling to the rear of the house where there is
a shared soffit. from there the vent points downward. The fumes are
traveling through the soffit and entering our house. Bedroom between
the walls everywhere we are being inundated with the stench every time
he cooks. often late at night. I though there would be some fresh
perspective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is vented across hi ceiling to the rear of the house where there is
a shared soffit. from there the vent points downward. The fumes are
traveling through the soffit and entering our house. Bedroom between
the walls everywhere we are being inundated with the stench every time
he cooks. often late at night. I though there would be some fresh
perspective.

Why have you done nothing about this since you posted it in 2006?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am looking for help. not criticism, this is a stubborn problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking for help. not criticism, this is a stubborn problem.

Well, don't you think it would be a waste of everyone's time to suggest
things you've already tried, rather than remove those ideas from the list?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Oct, 16:27, wrote:
I am looking for help. not criticism, this is a stubborn problem.

He recently installed a vent .....
I recently notices these fumes....

If the OP is too lazy to retype/update his original post, I doubt he's
done anything about it since 2006.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:00:54 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

Hey, give him a break. Maybe he moved.

Sure did. From AOL to Yahoo.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is vented across hi ceiling to the rear of the house where there is
a shared soffit. from there the vent points downward. The fumes are
traveling through the soffit and entering our house.

If it is a shared soffit, could you redirect it maybe up through
the roof etc? Does the vent at any time enter into your property or
any property that could be considered okay for you to modify? It seems
like it would be up to either one of you to redirect the vent
somehow.. if it is indeed coming through your soffit and into your
attic and possible through your ac ducts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:56:23 -0700, Abe wrote Re
Wok fumes:

It is vented across hi ceiling to the rear of the house where there is
a shared soffit. from there the vent points downward. The fumes are
traveling through the soffit and entering our house.

If it is a shared soffit, could you redirect it maybe up through
the roof etc? Does the vent at any time enter into your property or
any property that could be considered okay for you to modify? It seems
like it would be up to either one of you to redirect the vent
somehow.. if it is indeed coming through your soffit and into your
attic and possible through your ac ducts?

His venting cooking fumes into a shared soffit is illegal. Period.
Tell him he need to construct a proper chimney or you'll complain up
the ladder to building officials.

This is good advice and probably your only recourse other than taking
the guy to court.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The incompetent buildings dept here in New York City after 5
inspections finally saw the vent and determined that the pipe he
installed, the tearing into the walls and the range hood he installed
did not require a permit, they also say that the 4" vent he has in the
shared soffit is not illegal. The ******* is uncooperative in
redirecting the vent because it might cost him $5.00 to do so.

Do you think it would be a viable solution to open up the soffit and
block off the area between the houses. Another idea I had was to
install my own rooftop vent to direct the fumes out of the soffit,
then sue him to cure this condition he created.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 08:52, wrote:
The incompetent buildings dept here in New York City after 5
inspections finally saw the vent and determined that the pipe he
installed, the tearing into the walls and the range hood he installed
did not require a permit, they also say that the 4" vent he has in the
shared soffit is not illegal. The ******* is uncooperative in
redirecting the vent because it might cost him $5.00 to do so.

Do you think it would be a viable solution to open up the soffit and
block off the area between the houses. Another idea I had was to
install my own rooftop vent to direct the fumes out of the soffit,
then sue him to cure this condition he created.

Perhaps it's the tone of your posts that make me think we're not
getting the complete truth here. I could be wrong...

The ...buildings dept ...after 5 inspections finally saw the
vent"

What were they looking for during the first 4 inspections? Why were
they called there in the first place?

"uncooperative in redirecting the vent because it might cost him
$5.00 to do so"

$5.00? Nothing in NYC cost $5.00. I assume you are trying to get a
point across about how relatively inexpenses it might be to redirect
the vent, but using $5.00 just adds to "bad tone" of your posts.

"install my own rooftop vent ... then sue him to cure this
condition he created"

This might be tough. If, as you implied, nothing he did was illegal,
what can you sue him for? Besides, if it's only going to cost him
$5.00 to redirect his vent, what's it going to cost you to install
your own? $10.00, maybe $15.00? Do it and forget it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 9:30 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 5 Oct, 08:52, wrote:

[...]

I cannot access the vent it's on his property. I would cost exactly
$5.00 for a piece of pipe to bend upward through the roof of the
soffit rather than downward into the soffit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 08:52, wrote:

[...]

What does that have to with anything? Nothing in your post or mine
said anything about accessing his vent.

-- I would cost exactly
-- $5.00 for a piece of pipe to bend upward through the roof of the
-- soffit rather than downward into the soffit.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that sealants, clamps, caps and the other
parts required to install a roof vent were free in NYC. My bad.

BTW - what about an answer to the 5 inspection question? I'm just
curious as to what they were looking for the first 4 time they were
there. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ps.com...

On 5 Oct, 08:52, wrote:

[...]

NYC? The inspectors were probably looking for a bribe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...

BTW - what about an answer to the 5 inspection question? I'm just
curious as to what they were looking for the first 4 time they were
there. Inquiring minds want to know.

NYC? The inspectors were probably looking for a bribe.

DING DING DING!!! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! LOL

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...

BTW - what about an answer to the 5 inspection question? I'm just
curious as to what they were looking for the first 4 time they were
there. Inquiring minds want to know.

NYC? The inspectors were probably looking for a bribe.

DING DING DING!!! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! LOL

--
Regards,

"Aw hell....this is the 5th visit...I guess we actually have to inspect
something".

Posted to alt.home.repair

They didnt see anything, even though it was there all along. For some
reason the DOB has refused enforcement on this issue, even though the
mechanical code directly addresses this type of vent and as mentioned
previously in this thread that venting cooking exhaust into a shared
soffit is illegal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 14:16, wrote:
They didnt see anything, even though it was there all along. For some
reason the DOB has refused enforcement on this issue, even though the
mechanical code directly addresses this type of vent and as mentioned
previously in this thread that venting cooking exhaust into a shared
soffit is illegal.

-- They didnt see anything, even though it was there all along.

That's 'cuz justice is blind.

-- For some reason the DOB has refused enforcement on this issue

If I were you (and I'm glad I'm not) I'd find out what that reason is.
Take it all the way to City Hall.

Here's the address: 2 Lafayette St
The following trains will get you the J, M, Z at Chambers St; N, R
at City Hall; 4, 5, 6 at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall
They're open Mon-Fri 9am-4p

Tell 'em I sent you.

Don't you know the crime rate is going up, up, up, up, up,
To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!
You got rats on the west side
Bed bugs uptown
What a mess this town's in tatters I've been shattered
My brain's been battered - splattered - all over Manhattan

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you justify venting your cooking axhaust into someone elses
house. Maybe you would like to testify on his behalf at the trial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 16:54, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
How do you justify venting your cooking axhaust into someone elses
house. Maybe you would like to testify on his behalf at the trial.

I still don't understand how his vent goes to the soffit. Is it a fan
vent on an outside wall and the fumes get into attic space through the
soffit, or is vent connected but pipe or duct up to soffit? Is there a
firewall across the attic space between your place and his? I don't
understand your earlier statement about blocking ducts; that doesn't
sound like a solution to anything.

-- I still don't understand how his vent goes to the soffit.

Sir, there is so, so much about this thread that is tough to
understand. I've given up trying to understand anything the OP says
and decided to just have some fun.

Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York
These vagabond shoes
Are longing to stray
And make a brand new start of it
New York, New York

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 16:07, wrote:
-- How do you justify venting your cooking axhaust into someone elses
-- house. Maybe you would like to testify on his behalf at the trial.

I'd love to testify at the trial, but when I come to NY I'm not
staying at your place. It smells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:50:00 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On 5 Oct, 16:07, wrote:
-- How do you justify venting your cooking axhaust into someone elses
-- house. Maybe you would like to testify on his behalf at the trial.

I'd love to testify at the trial, but when I come to NY I'm not
staying at your place. It smells.

WOK-U- say?

Should be a very, very short stay in NYC.

--
Oren

"If your not getting it from the horses mouth, You're listening to the wrong end."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is vented across hi ceiling to the rear of the house where there is
a shared soffit. from there the vent points downward. The fumes are
traveling through the soffit and entering our house. Bedroom between
the walls everywhere we are being inundated with the stench every time
he cooks. often late at night. I though there would be some fresh
perspective.

If he's a big a dick as you say and the soffit is shared, ie. you have
access to his vent (albeit at a distance). Get a long drill bit and a can of
Great Stuff and fill his vent with polyurethane foam. The next time he fires
up his WOK he'll be able to appreciate your concerns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon (on backup computer)" wrote
in message ...
I suspect that you'll have a hard time getting the other guy to repair the
problem. He talks the talk, but won't wok the wok.

Christopher A. Young

{DRUM CRASH!}

"Is this an audience or an oil painting?"
-Henny Youngman

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote in

Norminn wrote:
wrote:

I am having a problem with my neighbor. He recently installed a vent
over his cooktop for the porpuse of venting his wok fumes to the
rear of his house. We live in attached home row-style townhomes. I

Check this link:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...se_frm/thread/
7155207c519b80ff/f52c8e7b00d69827?rnum=1&q=wok+fumes+neighbor+&_don e=%
2Fgroup%2Falt.home.repair%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F 7155207c519b80ff%2Fa
f25e3a379b468b5%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3Dwok%2Bfumes%2Bnei ghbor%2B%26rnum%3D20
%26#doc_f52c8e7b00d69827

The guy had your IDENTICAL problem, and probably has an identical
solution. Good wuk.

The guy not only had an identical problem, but posted the identical
text, and had an identical email address. He also posted the exact
same thing to misc.legal and alt.building.construction a year ago.

Identical twins maybe...