Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wok fumes

On 5 Oct, 10:56, wrote:
On Oct 5, 9:30 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 5 Oct, 08:52, wrote:

The incompetent buildings dept here in New York City after 5
inspections finally saw the vent and determined that the pipe he
installed, the tearing into the walls and the range hood he installed
did not require a permit, they also say that the 4" vent he has in the
shared soffit is not illegal. The ******* is uncooperative in
redirecting the vent because it might cost him $5.00 to do so.

Do you think it would be a viable solution to open up the soffit and
block off the area between the houses. Another idea I had was to
install my own rooftop vent to direct the fumes out of the soffit,
then sue him to cure this condition he created.

Perhaps it's the tone of your posts that make me think we're not
getting the complete truth here. I could be wrong...

The ...buildings dept ...after 5 inspections finally saw the
vent"

What were they looking for during the first 4 inspections? Why were
they called there in the first place?

"uncooperative in redirecting the vent because it might cost him
$5.00 to do so"

$5.00? Nothing in NYC cost $5.00. I assume you are trying to get a
point across about how relatively inexpenses it might be to redirect
the vent, but using $5.00 just adds to "bad tone" of your posts.

"install my own rooftop vent ... then sue him to cure this
condition he created"

This might be tough. If, as you implied, nothing he did was illegal,
what can you sue him for? Besides, if it's only going to cost him
$5.00 to redirect his vent, what's it going to cost you to install
your own? $10.00, maybe $15.00? Do it and forget it.

-- I cannot access the vent it's on his property.

What does that have to with anything? Nothing in your post or mine
said anything about accessing his vent.

-- I would cost exactly
-- $5.00 for a piece of pipe to bend upward through the roof of the
-- soffit rather than downward into the soffit.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that sealants, clamps, caps and the other
parts required to install a roof vent were free in NYC. My bad.

BTW - what about an answer to the 5 inspection question? I'm just
curious as to what they were looking for the first 4 time they were
there. Inquiring minds want to know.