Don

Default paslode fumes

Anyone know of dangers concerning the fumes from the paslode cordless
nailers? Anyone get sick using these things?

PME

No offence but I would stop using it if I were you and return it to the
manufacturer. Let them know what exactly is going on and that it is making
you sick. It may be a problem with the battery pack. I would return it if
I were you.

TWS

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:59:09 -0500, "PME"
wrote:

No offence but I would stop using it if I were you and return it to the
manufacturer. Let them know what exactly is going on and that it is making
you sick. It may be a problem with the battery pack. I would return it if
I were you.

I think the fumes he is talking about are the fumes from the fuel
explosion used to drive the nail.

I used one (rental) in an enclosed room for a day and survived. The
smell was obnoxious and they do recommend a well-ventilated area. I
have no clinical assessment beyond that however.

TWS
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:35:09 GMT, TWS wrote:

I used one (rental) in an enclosed room for a day and survived. The
smell was obnoxious and they do recommend a well-ventilated area. I
have no clinical assessment beyond that however.

Google for 'paslode' and 'msds'.

Tom Watson

wrote:

No offence but I would stop using it if I were you and return it to the
manufacturer. Let them know what exactly is going on and that it is making
you sick. It may be a problem with the battery pack. I would return it if
I were you.

I think the fumes he is talking about are the fumes from the fuel
explosion used to drive the nail.

I used one (rental) in an enclosed room for a day and survived. The
smell was obnoxious and they do recommend a well-ventilated area. I
have no clinical assessment beyond that however.

TWS

Dear TWS:

You seem smart and I hope you hang around.

I enjoy reading your posts.

I've looked at your website and I admire your work.

I've owned a couple of these devices over the last little while and
I've grown to like the smell.

It smells much better than the sweat involved in running an air line
to the point of need.

Amen.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

TWS

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:27:04 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

snipped and rearranged
I've owned a couple of these devices over the last little while and
I've grown to like the smell.

It smells much better than the sweat involved in running an air line
to the point of need.

Amen.

I'll agree with that!

Dear TWS:

You seem smart and I hope you hang around.

I enjoy reading your posts.

I've looked at your website and I admire your work.

Oh go on! You're just saying that because we share a common first
name.

Seriously I am honored by your comments. Thank you. At the risk of
sounding trite, I too enjoy your posts. I've only been hanging in the
wreck for a short while but I've recognized a few people who actually
contribute to this newsgroup and the readers are better for it. Yours
is one of those I look forward to.

Thanks for sharing your site. I hadn't checked it out before and now
that I have I'm even more honored by your comment. I love your boxes!
I am looking forward to spending time with your 'stories'.

"What is Woodworking" was an honest and inspired introspection. Your
reference to "Christina's World" struck me because it is one of my
favorites but also because of the openly honest analogy. I am a
hobbyist woodworker. My longing is to spend more time in the shop
making those mistakes that are so important to becoming a better
woodworker. Your story recognizes that process and confirms that the
metamorphosis is not unique. Thank you.

Tom
Leon

wrote:

No offence but I would stop using it if I were you and return it to the
manufacturer. Let them know what exactly is going on and that it is
making
you sick. It may be a problem with the battery pack. I would return it
if
I were you.

I think the fumes he is talking about are the fumes from the fuel
explosion used to drive the nail.

I used one (rental) in an enclosed room for a day and survived. The
smell was obnoxious and they do recommend a well-ventilated area. I
have no clinical assessment beyond that however.

TWS

The smell reminds me of a freshly fired shotgun shell.

Gerald Ross

wrote:

No offence but I would stop using it if I were you and return it to the
manufacturer. Let them know what exactly is going on and that it is
making
you sick. It may be a problem with the battery pack. I would return it
if
I were you.

I think the fumes he is talking about are the fumes from the fuel
explosion used to drive the nail.

I used one (rental) in an enclosed room for a day and survived. The
smell was obnoxious and they do recommend a well-ventilated area. I
have no clinical assessment beyond that however.

TWS

The smell reminds me of a freshly fired shotgun shell.

If it smells like that, I may buy one just for sniffing.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Prune: A plum that has seen better days.

Leon

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
If it smells like that, I may buy one just for sniffing.

It brings back fond memories. I have not been bird hunting since I was a
kid. I hunted a lot as a kid but got tired of all the work after pulling
the trigger.

TWS

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 05:36:33 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

Leon wrote:

The smell reminds me of a freshly fired shotgun shell.

Well it was a long time ago when I rented the unit so I don't remember
the smell and I've never fired a shotgun but it seems odd to me that a
petroleum based charge would produce a smell like burnt gunpowder.

TWS

Tom Watson

wrote:

Leon wrote:

The smell reminds me of a freshly fired shotgun shell.

Well it was a long time ago when I rented the unit so I don't remember
the smell and I've never fired a shotgun but it seems odd to me that a
petroleum based charge would produce a smell like burnt gunpowder.

TWS

Cordite = Nitroglycerin + Nitrocellulose + Petroleum Jelly, dissolved
in Acetone.

Yummm.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:19:51 GMT, TWS wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 05:36:33 -0500, Gerald Ross

Well it was a long time ago when I rented the unit so I don't remember
the smell and I've never fired a shotgun but it seems odd to me that a
petroleum based charge would produce a smell like burnt gunpowder.

Nope, nitrocellulose doesn't smell very much like petroleum when burnt.
Leon

wrote:

Leon wrote:

The smell reminds me of a freshly fired shotgun shell.

Well it was a long time ago when I rented the unit so I don't remember
the smell and I've never fired a shotgun but it seems odd to me that a
petroleum based charge would produce a smell like burnt gunpowder.

It is odd isn't it. I could also be the petroleum based product that you
lubricate and clean the barrel with that burns and contributes to the
similar smell, although I recall the spent shell having that distinct smell.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 07:22:30 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

Cordite = Nitroglycerin + Nitrocellulose + Petroleum Jelly, dissolved
in Acetone.

Yummm.

That's the chestnut flavouring

(Your starter for 10 - what does the state of Israel owe to British
schoolchildren and acetone ?)

Tom Watson

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:02:11 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

That's the chestnut flavouring

(Your starter for 10 - what does the state of Israel owe to British
schoolchildren and acetone ?)

What is, "The Balfour Declaration."

Next, I'll take "Famous Flatulents" for ten. please.