Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wok fumes

I recently posted this problem, I have had little success with the
local administrative codes, I have also been told that it will cost 25
thousand dollars to sue this person for nusiance. Can someone with
engineering or contruction experience tell me if installing my own roof

vent over the attached overhang/soffiting where his vent is located
help in drawing the fumes away from the building?

Here is the original post for your enjoyment:

I am having a problem with my neighbor. He recently installed a vent
over his cooktop for the porpuse of venting his wok fumes to the rear
of his house. We live in attached home row-style townhomes. I recently
notices these fumes eminating from my internal heat/ac duct work. We
have forced air. He did all of the work himself in the middle of the
night. We appoaced him on the issue but he simply said the fumes were
coming from my kitchen. I closed off some of the duct lines to try and
isolate the problem and now there are no fumes in the ducts but we are
still getting inundated with the odor. They ofen cook late like
9:00-10:00PM and its very disturbing. We get the fumes in our bedroom
also. Can anyone help me find some solution or some recourse. There was

a case a while back on this board about a lady who got a court order to

make his naighbor cook only certain hours and eventully got a win and
the courts made them move the ven to the roof. Do you think this is
possible in NYS?

Thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Do you have an HOA? If he boot legged the installation perhaps you
have recourse through the city / building dept?

Maybe through small claims (in California you can sue for up to $5k)
but here it has to be for actual damages......like the cost of some
equipment to handle the problem

How are the fumes getting into your house?

The water vapor / fat in his output stream carries the odor

In this type of situation it's best to deal with the problem at the
source........a filter on his output or re-route the duct & move the
discharge point to a better location

nvestigate the cost of an odor filter on your intake (if you have one)?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do I do this without the cost of a lenghthy, difficult to prove
civil suit?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:
[...]

That can be brutal. I had Chinese students in the next room during
college who generated vast quantities of hydrocarbon emissions from the
kitchen, after a year you could have scraped the surface of the walls
in the dorm and sold the scrapings to Mobil. Look at the apparatus on
the local Chinese restaurant to keep the exhaust air relatively clean.
Seriously, good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
make his naighbor cook only certain hours and eventully got a win and
the courts made them move the ven to the roof. Do you think this is
possible in NYS?

Thanks in advance

It's hard to imagine what someone could cook that would be so tough to
handle inside a neighboring residence. We have a Jennair range with
down-draft vent, which vents into building atrium (not enclosed).
Neighbors can tell whenever I burn dinner )

Does the neighbor's vent exhaust into a closed-in area, such as between
buildings or a courtyard? You can call your city code enforcement
people and find out whether there is a code that covers the situation;
getting it enforced is another matter.

Perhaps your doors and/or windows need some sealing done to keep air
drawn in by furnace and AC from leaking in around doors and windows near
his exhaust vent?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:22:37 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

clipped
[...]

Positive pressure fan-driven air system from the other side of the
building. That'll solve the problem, guaranteed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you think this is possible in NYS?

I would be cheaper to just move.

This is why people want to live in the suburbs.

Wok fumes [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 18th 06 07:56 PM
Neighbor's Lighter fluid fumes Charlie S. Home Repair 32 June 21st 06 02:38 PM
Wok Fumes [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 21st 06 02:46 PM
fireplace fumes Fred Home Repair 4 February 26th 06 06:24 PM
paslode fumes Don Woodworking 14 December 4th 04 03:58 PM