Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Securing a dumpster

Greetings!

I'm looking for some ideas, on how to secure a dumpster lid.

The problem I have about putting a lock on, the hauler comes in the wee
hours of the morning. So, it must be free to empty the garbage out.

We have a store, which we throw out boxes etc. The other day, one of the
employees heard a cry for help. It appears a very large lady had climbed on
top of some wooden crates, and attempted to fetch some corrugated boxes
from the dumpster. In her venture, she had slipped head first into the
dumpster. The employees could not rescue her from the dumpster. The local
firefighters had to retrieve her from the dumpster.

So, as you can see, we are in a pickle. We desire some advice. Any thoughts
are warmly greeted.

johoman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johoman" wrote in message
Greetings!

I'm looking for some ideas, on how to secure a dumpster lid.

The problem I have about putting a lock on, the hauler comes in the wee
hours of the morning. So, it must be free to empty the garbage out.

We have a store, which we throw out boxes etc. The other day, one of the
employees heard a cry for help. It appears a very large lady had climbed
on top of some wooden crates, and attempted to fetch some corrugated boxes
from the dumpster. In her venture, she had slipped head first into the
dumpster. The employees could not rescue her from the dumpster. The local
firefighters had to retrieve her from the dumpster.

So, as you can see, we are in a pickle. We desire some advice. Any
thoughts are warmly greeted.

Call your trash company and ask them. Most trash companies run into this
problem routinely, and have service options to address it, like a different
style of dumpster, or possibly a lock THEY give you. They usually don't like
customer locks, because then they have to keep track of a key. Comapny locks
would likely all be keyed alike. They REALLY want to avoid any solutions
that require driver to get out of the truck- that slows the route down.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call your trash hauler company. It's very possible they know what
to do in matters like this. They may have a bunch of padlocks on
the same key, so the truck operator can open all the dumpsters.
Or, they may have some kind of noise dampening, so that the fat
lady yelling doesn't bother your employees quite as much.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"johoman" wrote in message
: Greetings!
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid enough
to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
: what's the problem?
:
: s
:
:
:
: "johoman" wrote in message
: ...
It appears a very large lady had climbed
: on top of some wooden crates, and attempted to fetch some
corrugated boxes
: from the dumpster. In her venture, she had slipped head first
into the
: dumpster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid enough
to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the economy hadn't been destroyed by neocon
idiocy?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:36:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid enough
to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.

Yeah, Benjamin Franklin has a lot to answer for.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:35:00 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Call your trash hauler company. It's very possible they know what
to do in matters like this. They may have a bunch of padlocks on
the same key, so the truck operator can open all the dumpsters.
Or, they may have some kind of noise dampening, so that the fat
lady yelling doesn't bother your employees quite as much.

What he said. Until resolved, how about locking 6 nights a week and
rememmbering to leave it unlocked the night they come.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our trash company offers dumpsters (for an extra $10.00 per month) that have
a locking device built in. We have to use a key to open it, but when the
truck latches onto it to dump it, it trips something that flips back the
security bar with the lock on it automatically. Our problem was neighborhood
people putting trash, tires, cans of paint, etc. in our dumpster.

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"johoman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/14/2007 9:40 PM johoman said the following:
Greetings!

I'm looking for some ideas, on how to secure a dumpster lid.

The problem I have about putting a lock on, the hauler comes in the wee
hours of the morning. So, it must be free to empty the garbage out.

We have a store, which we throw out boxes etc. The other day, one of the
employees heard a cry for help. It appears a very large lady had climbed on
top of some wooden crates, and attempted to fetch some corrugated boxes
from the dumpster. In her venture, she had slipped head first into the
dumpster. The employees could not rescue her from the dumpster. The local
firefighters had to retrieve her from the dumpster.

So, as you can see, we are in a pickle. We desire some advice. Any thoughts
are warmly greeted.

johoman

Does this happen often, or is this the only time it happened? If the
latter, don't do anything.
If you suspect that this is the start of a new run of dumpster raiding,
keep the area around the dumpster free of climbing materials.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Noozer wrote:
"johoman" wrote in message
Greetings!

I'm looking for some ideas, on how to secure a dumpster lid.

The problem I have about putting a lock on, the hauler comes in the wee
hours of the morning. So, it must be free to empty the garbage out.

Give him a key.

If you know what night he comes to empty it, leave it unlocked for that one
night. The rest of the time you keep it locked. You will have reduced your
exposure by 85%.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

So, as you can see, we are in a pickle. We desire some advice. Any
thoughts are warmly greeted.

Call your trash company and ask them. Most trash companies run into
this problem routinely, and have service options to address it, like
a different style of dumpster, or possibly a lock THEY give you. They
usually don't like customer locks, because then they have to keep
track of a key. Comapny locks would likely all be keyed alike. They
REALLY want to avoid any solutions that require driver to get out of
the truck- that slows the route down.

Agreed. The trash company has a MUCH greater invested interest in this
problem than you.

Can you imagine the furor if they compacted some homeless granny lady?

On the other hand, perhaps this happens all the time and no one ever
notices...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid enough
to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the economy hadn't been destroyed
by neocon idiocy?

Giggle. What indicator shows a "destroyed" economy? Unemployment? Housing
starts? Producer Price Index? Consumer Price Index? Wages? GDP?

And a "Neocon" has little to do with the economy; Neocons are concerned with
foreign policy, not domestic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Does this happen often, or is this the only time it happened? If the
latter, don't do anything.

It could be happening every week and this is only the first time anybody
noticed there's someone in the dumpster.

If you suspect that this is the start of a new run of dumpster
raiding, keep the area around the dumpster free of climbing materials.

If, however, you're in California, I'm sure there's a regulation requiring
an wheelchair ramp so that the handicapped homeless can have equal access to
the dumpster's content.

Do you have a sign, in Braille, on the dumpster so that the vision impaired
homeless can determine the dumpster's contents? Is the sign also in Spanish?

I won't even go into the flagrant abuse of the environment involved in
"dumping" cardboard boxes instead of recycling (good) or facilitating re-use
(better).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, for me it was a lot worse during the Clinton years.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Bob F" wrote in message
:
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
: ...
: Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
: mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid
enough
: to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.
:
: Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the economy hadn't been
destroyed by neocon
: idiocy?
:
: Bob
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid enough
to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the economy hadn't been destroyed
by neocon idiocy?

Giggle. What indicator shows a "destroyed" economy? Unemployment? Housing
starts? Producer Price Index? Consumer Price Index? Wages? GDP?

And a "Neocon" has little to do with the economy; Neocons are concerned
with foreign policy, not domestic.

Possibly the incredible foreign debt the US owes, the overspending by the
government and the US dollar falling through the floor in value would
contribute to the poor economy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Giggle. What indicator shows a "destroyed" economy? Unemployment?
Housing starts? Producer Price Index? Consumer Price Index? Wages?
GDP? And a "Neocon" has little to do with the economy; Neocons are
concerned with foreign policy, not domestic.

Possibly the incredible foreign debt the US owes, the overspending by
the government and the US dollar falling through the floor in value
would contribute to the poor economy.

Ah, okay I understand.

1. Foreign debt is good.
2. I'll agree that government spending is beyond bad. But neocons are not
responsible for the overspending - the Democrats control the purse.
3. A falling dollar is double-good - it dramatically increases the demand
for U.S. products.

"Poor economy?" Hardly. The U.S. economy, by any objective standard or
measurement is beyond robust; it is approaching heavenly. There hasn't been
such a superb economy since the years immediately after WW2, if then.

Just consider one example: gasoline prices. While current prices seem high,
they're not. First they have yet to break the record for gas prices
(adjusted for inflation). Second, dollar/gallon is not the best measu
dollars/mile driven is much better. The average mileage for a passenger car
has doubled since the early '70s, essentially cutting in half the cost per
trip. And thirdly, the cost of gasoline as a percentage of disposable income
has also dropped considerably.

Bottom line: We notice the rise in gasoline prices, but the rises don't
really affect us as much as a much lower price used to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Poor economy?" Hardly. The U.S. economy, by any objective standard or
measurement is beyond robust; it is approaching heavenly. There hasn't been
such a superb economy since the years immediately after WW2, if then.

As long as you are filthy rich. If not, you income has gone down over the Bush
years.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Poor economy?" Hardly. The U.S. economy, by any objective standard or
measurement is beyond robust; it is approaching heavenly. There hasn't
been such a superb economy since the years immediately after WW2, if
then.

Is your government still running on a deficit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"johoman" wrote:

So, as you can see, we are in a pickle. We desire some advice. Any thoughts
are warmly greeted.

Flatten the boxes? Besides making them unusable, it saves dumpster
space.

Better yet would be to bundle and recycle it. In my days of retail
decades ago, I remember feeding and unloading box baler, it was worth
saving them up for a periodic pickup of a whole semi load worth.

The idea of leaving decent ones of the size preferred by the homeless
outside for them is a kindness that would be paid in heaven.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 12:23 pm, "EXT" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Bob F wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid enough
to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the economy hadn't been destroyed
by neocon idiocy?

Giggle. What indicator shows a "destroyed" economy? Unemployment? Housing
starts? Producer Price Index? Consumer Price Index? Wages? GDP?

And a "Neocon" has little to do with the economy; Neocons are concerned
with foreign policy, not domestic.

Possibly the incredible foreign debt the US owes, the overspending by the
government and the US dollar falling through the floor in value would
contribute to the poor economy.

Falling dollar: Good for those of us heavily invested in
international securities, especially those traded in local currencies.
I promise that when I harvest my profits, I'll put them back into the
US economy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Poor economy?" Hardly. The U.S. economy, by any objective standard
or measurement is beyond robust; it is approaching heavenly. There
hasn't been such a superb economy since the years immediately after
WW2, if then.

As long as you are filthy rich. If not, you income has gone down over
the Bush years.

For some individuals, true. Some areas were more affected than others (New
Orleans, Gulfport). Most folks, however, have benefited. All quintilles of
personal income have risen.

Per capita income, in the last eight years, has risen about $5,000.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104547.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

The money to rescue the fat woman comes out of my taxes. Taxes
are paid by business, and by consumers.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
: How does that drive up your cost of doing business?
:
: steve
:
:
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
: ...
: Sigh. Liberals driving up the cost of doing business. By
: mandating free rescue for homeless people who are stupid
enough
: to fall into dumpsters. Darwin frustrated, again.
:
: --
:
: Christopher A. Young
: You can't shout down a troll.
: You have to starve them.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

2. I'll agree that government spending is beyond bad. But neocons are not
responsible for the overspending - the Democrats control the purse.

This is the first year in quite a while (1994?) that the Democrats control the
purse. Our current hole was dug by Republicans.
-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The money to rescue the fat woman comes out of my taxes. Taxes
are paid by business, and by consumers.

"Business" only pays taxes w/ monies collected from -- you guessed it --
consumers, either directly or indirectly...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Douglas Johnson wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote:

2. I'll agree that government spending is beyond bad. But neocons are not
responsible for the overspending - the Democrats control the purse.

This is the first year in quite a while (1994?) that the Democrats control the
purse. Our current hole was dug by Republicans.
-- Doug

Our current hole goes back to around the LBJ. It has been an equal
opportunity cluster (well you know) for years made worse by the creative
accounting of Social Security (again bipartisan in nature) that
effectively hid the real costs of both SS and general spending.
Interestingly enough if you look at 5 year increases in spending, the
last five years under the GOP was pretty much the same %age increase as
the last five years under the Dems from '89 to 94. There was a brief
shining moment between about '94 and '99 where the %age increase was
about half that. But the GOP got over it. In spades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The money to rescue the fat woman comes out of my taxes. Taxes
are paid by business, and by consumers.

"Business" only pays taxes w/ monies collected from -- you guessed it --
consumers, either directly or indirectly...

--

Not technically. There are essentially three ways to pay taxes. One is
through pricing as you noted. When pricing is less elastic, then it
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Poor economy?" Hardly. The U.S. economy, by any objective standard or
measurement is beyond robust; it is approaching heavenly. There hasn't been
such a superb economy since the years immediately after WW2, if then.

Is your government still running on a deficit?

Like never before.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Poor economy?" Hardly. The U.S. economy, by any objective standard
or measurement is beyond robust; it is approaching heavenly. There
hasn't been such a superb economy since the years immediately after
WW2, if then.

As long as you are filthy rich. If not, you income has gone down over
the Bush years.

For some individuals, true. Some areas were more affected than others (New
Orleans, Gulfport). Most folks, however, have benefited. All quintilles of
personal income have risen.

Per capita income, in the last eight years, has risen about $5,000.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104547.html

On average Lower income families have seen a decrease.

Bob