Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Stelter Keith Stelter is offline

Default Securing a dumpster

Our trash company offers dumpsters (for an extra $10.00 per month) that have
a locking device built in. We have to use a key to open it, but when the
truck latches onto it to dump it, it trips something that flips back the
security bar with the lock on it automatically. Our problem was neighborhood
people putting trash, tires, cans of paint, etc. in our dumpster.

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"johoman" wrote in message
Greetings!

I'm looking for some ideas, on how to secure a dumpster lid.

The problem I have about putting a lock on, the hauler comes in the wee
hours of the morning. So, it must be free to empty the garbage out.

We have a store, which we throw out boxes etc. The other day, one of the
employees heard a cry for help. It appears a very large lady had climbed
on top of some wooden crates, and attempted to fetch some corrugated
boxes from the dumpster. In her venture, she had slipped head first into
the dumpster. The employees could not rescue her from the dumpster. The
local firefighters had to retrieve her from the dumpster.

So, as you can see, we are in a pickle. We desire some advice. Any
thoughts are warmly greeted.

Call your trash company and ask them. Most trash companies run into this
problem routinely, and have service options to address it, like a
different style of dumpster, or possibly a lock THEY give you. They
usually don't like customer locks, because then they have to keep track of
a key. Comapny locks would likely all be keyed alike. They REALLY want to
avoid any solutions that require driver to get out of the truck- that
slows the route down.

aem sends...