das

Default un-gloat, dumpster

A sad story:
I was an engineer at a conveyor manufacturer a few years ago. Amongst the
newer CNC machines was an old Excello CNC vertical mill with a Dynapath 10
control (very old) We had so many circuit board failures on the control
that it became obvious it was time to dispose of this machine. It was a nice
piece of iron, 54" table, ball screws, 7 hp motor etc. I asked my boss, the
plant manager, if I could buy it. No way, it's goin' in the scrap bin. "WTF"
I said! He mumbled some crap about liabilty and if I wanted it why couldn't
everyone else have a shot at it. Ok said I, lets have a drawing among
interested people. "Get out of my office" was the response. I watched as the
lead machinist picked the machine up with a forklift and drove it over to
the dumpster. He tilted it in and BLAMMO it hit bottom hard. It landed with
dignity in the dumpster and didn't look too damaged down there. Maybe the
guys at the scrapyard saved it.

dean s
afton mn

Garrett Fulton

"das" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

I know this is glaringly obvious to the most casual observer, but your boss
was a wailing, thoroughbred asshole.

Garrett Fulton

Harold & Susan Vordos

"das" wrote in message
[...]

Next time you see your (ex?) boss, tell him I said to kiss my ass. That
sucks. Talk about a dog in the manger.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

... picked the machine up with a forklift and drove it over to
the dumpster. He tilted it in and BLAMMO it hit bottom hard.

Next time you see your (ex?) boss, tell him I said to kiss my ass. That
sucks. Talk about a dog in the manger.

Harold, I'm suprised at you. I was expecting you to say, that he
should kiss his boss, for preventing him from getting a used
up piece of gear! I understand that there was a few spots of
rust on that machine...

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

das

Definitely ex-boss. The turkey also sold a rarely used 36" Timesaver sander
to a dealer for $1500 rather than auction it off to his employees.
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

Next time you see your (ex?) boss, tell him I said to kiss my ass. That
sucks. Talk about a dog in the manger.

Harold

michael

das wrote:

Definitely ex-boss. The turkey also sold a rarely used 36" Timesaver sander
to a dealer for $1500 rather than auction it off to his employees.
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

Next time you see your (ex?) boss, tell him I said to kiss my ass. That
sucks. Talk about a dog in the manger.

Harold

Sounds as you're really giving an unfair rap to turkeys. I'd say the guy is a
jackass, but.....

mj

Brian Lawson

Hey Dean,

I know it seems I always play the Devils Advocate, but:

I was working at the mini-van Chrysler Assembly Plant, and I saw a
pretty new looking 10 foot Featherlite ladder in the trash bin. On
closer inspection, I saw that one main leg had been "crunched" a bit
right at the floor end somehow. Now, I could see that it wasn't
suitable to be used in that industrial setting anymore, but HEY! I
could fix that up at home, no problemo! Just cut it down to a 9
footer!! So I loaded it into my service truck (we drove right into
the plant to service the elevators), but it was a bit long, and so the
rear door was 1/2 open. At the security gate, I explained what I had.
The guard said I had to go to another gate and see the guard Captain.
The Captain said (most emphatically) NO!! before I even got half the
story out. He said even he could not remove ANYTHING from the plant
with-out written authorization from the Plant Manager. He explained
that if all it took to get a ladder out would be for it to be damaged,
there wouldn't be an undamaged ??????? (ladder in my case, but fill in
anything you like here) in the whole plant! He said over the years,
Chrysler had allowed certain things to be removed, but ALWAYS somebody
would abuse the privilege. The latest and last ever was scrap wooden
pallets. They were placed at a back corner of the huge lot, and
employees not on shift were allowed to drive a vehicle in and take as
much as they wanted, ostensibly to burn in home fireplaces/stoves.
The Captain himself did this many times. , A few months before my
approach, he went in on his day off and as he picked up a pallet that
was off a bit by itself, a nice new CD/radio fell out. End of
privileges. Last day it was allowed.

I have also seen cases where companies will destroy a tooling line or
what-ever and turn it into just so much scrap metal, when they intend
to replace it, so that no-one can grab it and go into competition with
them.

So, sometimes companies have policies that don't have anything to do
with whether the "boss" is an a'hole. In your case, I'm surprised
they didn't just get a retro-fit to an new Dynapath. Maybe your boss
was afraid that might happen if you got it.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps.... non-functioning radios at Chrysler have to be whacked with a
hammer by a supervisor, then into the junk bin.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:03:30 -0500, "Garrett Fulton"
wrote:

"das" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Brian Lawson

Default Can't win, eh Harold un-gloat, dumpster

On 23 Jan 2004 05:14:43 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

... picked the machine up with a forklift and drove it over to
the dumpster. He tilted it in and BLAMMO it hit bottom hard.

Next time you see your (ex?) boss, tell him I said to kiss my ass. That
sucks. Talk about a dog in the manger.

Harold, I'm suprised at you. I was expecting you to say, that he
should kiss his boss, for preventing him from getting a used
up piece of gear! I understand that there was a few spots of
rust on that machine...

:^)

Jim

Hey Harold,

See!! You can't win, eh!? Yuh jes try t'be nice, and what duz it
getcha, eh? My'z well not.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

JTMcC

"das" wrote in message
[...]

Your boss may indeed be a total idiot, but you guys need a better
understanding of liability, because that is the driving force behind this
type of decision. The idiots and their lawyers ruin it for everybody. But
I'm not going to allow a scum lawyer and a jury that thinks everyone that
owns a business has unlimited millions to take away everything I have worked
for over the last 12 or so years, and put me and my family in the poorhouse.
Even if that means looking like a dope to an employee who doesn't understand
the reasons behind the (seemingly meaningless) policy. Too bad about the
machine tho.

JTMcC.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

... picked the machine up with a forklift and drove it over to
the dumpster. He tilted it in and BLAMMO it hit bottom hard.

Next time you see your (ex?) boss, tell him I said to kiss my ass. That
sucks. Talk about a dog in the manger.

Harold, I'm suprised at you. I was expecting you to say, that he
should kiss his boss, for preventing him from getting a used
up piece of gear! I understand that there was a few spots of
rust on that machine...

:^)

Jim

Hey, that's very different! I'd like to shake that boss's hand! Down
with rust! g

Sad that guys have to resort to rusted hulks in order to obtain a machine at
a price that fits the budget when you hear stories like this. I guess I'll
never understand people.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

wrote:

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

... picked the machine up with a forklift and drove it over to
the dumpster. He tilted it in and BLAMMO it hit bottom hard.

Next time you see your (ex?) boss, tell him I said to kiss my ass. That
sucks. Talk about a dog in the manger.

Harold, I'm suprised at you. I was expecting you to say, that he
should kiss his boss, for preventing him from getting a used
up piece of gear! I understand that there was a few spots of
rust on that machine...

:^)

Jim

Hey Harold,

See!! You can't win, eh!? Yuh jes try t'be nice, and what duz it
getcha, eh? My'z well not.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Hey Brian,

Ha! It's worse than that. Can't get no respec, neither. g

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

See!! You can't win, eh!? Yuh jes try t'be nice, and what duz it
getcha, eh? My'z well not.

Ha! It's worse than that. Can't get no respec, neither. g

Nice? Were we supposed to be playing nice?

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , JTMcC says...

Your boss may indeed be a total idiot, but you guys need a better
understanding of liability, because that is the driving force behind this
type of decision. The idiots and their lawyers ruin it for everybody. But
I'm not going to allow a scum lawyer and a jury that thinks everyone that
owns a business has unlimited millions to take away everything I have worked
for over the last 12 or so years, and put me and my family in the poorhouse.
Even if that means looking like a dope to an employee who doesn't understand
the reasons behind the (seemingly meaningless) policy. Too bad about the
machine tho.

As has been mentioned already, many companies have 'bright line'
policies about taking stuff home, for various reasons. A former
boss told me once that a major route for theft to occur in small
businesses is via the trash. Items are disguised and hidden
in the dumpster, and retrieved by a confederate at the hauling
company.

This having been said, a) I don't think he was trying to
clandestinely spirit a milling machine away, and b) it sounds
like the boss was being a bit of a royal prick. If I had
to let somebody down on this, I would take him aside and
explain exactly why company policy would not allow me to
give the machine away, no matter *how* much I wanted to give
it to him.

Also I would point out that the same boss who explained
the dumpster thing to me, saw to it that the foreman at
the time was able to personally purchase their used
bridgeport for 800 bucks - which I thought was a very
fair deal for all parties, on both sides. The boss there
was a very, very reasonable man.

Jim

please reply to:

Harold & Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

See!! You can't win, eh!? Yuh jes try t'be nice, and what duz it
getcha, eh? My'z well not.

Ha! It's worse than that. Can't get no respec, neither. g

Nice? Were we supposed to be playing nice?

Jim

Never seen it in my world!

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , JTMcC says...

[...]

Yep! Couldn't agree more, especially this part:

This having been said, a) I don't think he was trying to
clandestinely spirit a milling machine away, and b) it sounds
like the boss was being a bit of a royal prick. If I had
to let somebody down on this, I would take him aside and
explain exactly why company policy would not allow me to
give the machine away, no matter *how* much I wanted to give
it to him.

The boss handled it very poorly, so one more example of a lost US industry
likely is gone from the scene, never to return. (Rust and all!)

Harold

das

Yes I understand now and did back then, the liability issue. About half the
bigger companies I have worked for didn't sell any used stuff to employees
and half did. Honeywell did when I worked there and 3M still does. I aint no
lawyer but whats the difference, liability wise, between a co. selling a
used machine to an employee, even for $1, and me selling you an old punch
press that you subsequently use to amputate your hand? I suppose the answer
is Big Pockets tm. I miss the old legal column in American Machinist that
described mainly liablity cases against manufacturers. Extremely graphic
descriptions of industrial accidents and the legal carnage that followed.

dean s
afton mn

"JTMcC" wrote in message

Your boss may indeed be a total idiot, but you guys need a better
understanding of liability, because that is the driving force behind this
type of decision. The idiots and their lawyers ruin it for everybody. But
I'm not going to allow a scum lawyer and a jury that thinks everyone that
owns a business has unlimited millions to take away everything I have

worked
for over the last 12 or so years, and put me and my family in the

poorhouse.
Even if that means looking like a dope to an employee who doesn't

understand
the reasons behind the (seemingly meaningless) policy. Too bad about the
machine tho.

JTMcC.

das

Brian
At one place I worked we held drawings among employees who could then buy
the scrap, surplus, or damaged item for the scrap value. Myself and another
manager had to evaluate each item to make sure nobody was "crunching"
ladders or otherwise sabotaging stuff to get it out the door. Didn't take
much time and we never found any fraud (although we may have been completely
flim-flammed). Now, theft via the trash is a whole 'nother deal. I see a lot
of cos. that keep their dumpsters behind lock and key. So now the bad guys
have to follow the garbage truck to the landfill instead.

The legendary ripoff story at that conveyor plant was about two guys who
came in on a weekend and made a car hauling trailer out of the 4" x 4"
stainless tubing we kept in stock! Never got busted, could be urban legend.

dean s
afton mn

[...]

JTMcC

"das" wrote in message
link.net...
Yes I understand now and did back then, the liability issue. About half

the
bigger companies I have worked for didn't sell any used stuff to employees
and half did. Honeywell did when I worked there and 3M still does. I aint

no
lawyer but whats the difference, liability wise, between a co. selling a
used machine to an employee, even for $1, and me selling you an old punch
press that you subsequently use to amputate your hand? I suppose the

answer
is Big Pockets tm.

It's not so much big pockets as the perception of big pockets. I know of
several companies, both big and little, that have removed all signs from the
trucks just because the little fender bender at the gas station turns into a
big mess when they see a company truck involved, I've got personal
experience with that one as do a lot of other folks.
I don't like the policies that would cause something usefull to be scraped
rather than go to a good home, but I understand why they exist.
I have personnaly "salvaged" many treasures myselfg.

JTMcC.

"JTMcC" wrote in message

Your boss may indeed be a total idiot, but you guys need a better
understanding of liability, because that is the driving force behind

this
type of decision. The idiots and their lawyers ruin it for everybody.

But
I'm not going to allow a scum lawyer and a jury that thinks everyone

that
owns a business has unlimited millions to take away everything I have

worked
for over the last 12 or so years, and put me and my family in the

poorhouse.
Even if that means looking like a dope to an employee who doesn't

understand
the reasons behind the (seemingly meaningless) policy. Too bad about the
machine tho.

JTMcC.

Gunner

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:49:06 GMT, "JTMcC"
wrote:

"das" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

I was advised by a rather high power attorney (for a major ag company)
NOT to put magnetic signs on my truck when I went out servicing
machines on my own. For the above reasons.

Gunner

"JTMcC" wrote in message

Your boss may indeed be a total idiot, but you guys need a better
understanding of liability, because that is the driving force behind

this
type of decision. The idiots and their lawyers ruin it for everybody.

But
I'm not going to allow a scum lawyer and a jury that thinks everyone

that
owns a business has unlimited millions to take away everything I have

worked
for over the last 12 or so years, and put me and my family in the

poorhouse.
Even if that means looking like a dope to an employee who doesn't

understand
the reasons behind the (seemingly meaningless) policy. Too bad about the
machine tho.

JTMcC.

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age...
I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues
as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity,
bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity,
fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable
choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with
every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we
accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we
kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for
Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and
then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We
*assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his
fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation
to keep the State out of the church business, we've
destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*.
Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives

Brian Lawson

Default Always a way!! was un-gloat, dumpster

Hey Jim,

And now you reminded me of another one from my past. 1958, Edmonton,
Alberta gets a new Loblaws grocery store, and Brian gets a bag-boy
job. The store was the first that had a bakery sales shop as an
'associated' vendor within. Now remember it was 1958, so the store
was closed on Sundays, and on Saturday afternoon, the un-sold baked
goods went on special half-price to employees. So the regular sales
dropped while we all waited for the late special pricing. The bakery
company manager didn't like us doing that and said to the girls at the
bakery counter "No more at half-price. If it isn't sold by five
o'clock , it must be put into the garbage cans out back!!" So all us
Loblaws employees chipped in a buck and bought three nice new large
galvanized garbage cans for the bakery ladies to put stuff in. Worked
a treat (pun intended).

Ah... memories of the days when there was REAL whipped cream in the
1/2 dozen chocolate eclairs and my diet allowed me to eat them, and
my teeth let me chew the ginger-bread snaps. Whoops, drool on the
kybd. VBG

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 23 Jan 2004 14:12:03 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , JTMcC says...

[...]

================================================= =
please reply to:
================================================= =

wmbjk

Gunner wrote:

I was advised by a rather high power attorney (for a major ag company)
NOT to put magnetic signs on my truck when I went out servicing
machines on my own. For the above reasons.

What are we talking about here.... a ten year old pickup? I know that
whenever I see old pickups with magnetic door-signs, the first thing
that comes to mind is - I wonder if that's Trump or Gates in the
driver's seat? :-)

Wayne

Rossco in Oshawa

Seeing a magnetic sign on the side of any vehicle reminds me of "Fly By
Night" service.
Here today taking someones money - Gone tomorrow when the **** hits the
fan...

"wmbjk" wrote in message

What are we talking about here.... a ten year old pickup? I know that
whenever I see old pickups with magnetic door-signs, the first thing
that comes to mind is - I wonder if that's Trump or Gates in the
driver's seat? :-)

Wayne

Gunner

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:30:30 GMT, "wmbjk" wrote:

Gunner wrote:

I was advised by a rather high power attorney (for a major ag company)
NOT to put magnetic signs on my truck when I went out servicing
machines on my own. For the above reasons.

What are we talking about here.... a ten year old pickup? I know that
whenever I see old pickups with magnetic door-signs, the first thing
that comes to mind is - I wonder if that's Trump or Gates in the
driver's seat? :-)

Wayne

Correct..and a little one man show such as myself has no lawyers on
retainer, and has a hell of a lot more to loose in a suite than does a
megacorp.

A $10,000 judgment against Megacorp is a drop in the bucket. Against
me and its a total wipe out of every thing I own or have worked for.

Gunner

[...]
wmbjk

Gunner wrote:

Correct..and a little one man show such as myself has no lawyers on
retainer, and has a hell of a lot more to loose in a suite than does a
megacorp.

A $10,000 judgment against Megacorp is a drop in the bucket. Against
me and its a total wipe out of every thing I own or have worked for.

You're missing the point - if you want people to know that you're
unlikely to have assets worth scamming, then get yourself a cheesey
magnetic sign that says "Gunner International Corp" or some such. One of
those "ask me about Amway" might be good too.

Wayne

Gunner

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:15:44 GMT, "wmbjk" wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Correct..and a little one man show such as myself has no lawyers on
retainer, and has a hell of a lot more to loose in a suite than does a
megacorp.

A $10,000 judgment against Megacorp is a drop in the bucket. Against
me and its a total wipe out of every thing I own or have worked for.

You're missing the point - if you want people to know that you're
unlikely to have assets worth scamming, then get yourself a cheesey
magnetic sign that says "Gunner International Corp" or some such. One of
those "ask me about Amway" might be good too.

Wayne

Ill mention that to the guys locally who work for the big crane and
construction companies, or the downhole tool guys, or all the
semi-truck mechanics who use magnetic signs on their company cars and
trucks.

Lots of those folks use those company cars (with permission of course)
as family vehicles during the weekends.

Maybe its just something typical about your or my area.

Gunner

[...]
Harold & Susan Vordos

"wmbjk" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

I was advised by a rather high power attorney (for a major ag company)
NOT to put magnetic signs on my truck when I went out servicing
machines on my own. For the above reasons.

What are we talking about here.... a ten year old pickup? I know that
whenever I see old pickups with magnetic door-signs, the first thing
that comes to mind is - I wonder if that's Trump or Gates in the
driver's seat? :-)

Wayne

Couldn't help but chuckle! When I refined precious metals, delivering them
was always a concern. While unusual, there were times when I might have as
much as $100,000 in value being delivered to the customer. To aid in
limiting the appearance of being worth mugging, I wore my (stained and acid
burned) work clothing and drove an old beat out (read that rust bucket)
pickup, leaving our new shiny one in the garage. You can trust me when I
tell you that I was never confused with either of those guys! g

Harold

Bob

This is good! Once the property owner, in this case the machine owner,
places it in the dumpster he has formally abandon the property and is no
longer the owner (refer to U.S. Federal Government v. Richard M. Nixon, et.
al.). You should then contact the owner of the dumpster since the property
is theirs and negotiate a nominal price. This has been held up in court
time-after-time. Refer to several of the dumpster diving groups and web
pages for additional information.

R.

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"das" wrote in message
[...]

Gerald Miller

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:29:07 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

[...]

Early fifties, and the Bread Company used to deliver to the grocery
stores four miles each way from us,three times a week. Company policy
permitted en-route sales more than three miles from an outlet, so they
could stop at our house and drop off a group order for all three
neighbours. Since we had pigs and chickens they could safely dispose
of stale baked goods. This worked well until one neighbour thought he
should get a cut of the freebies and demanded that the truck stop at
his house which was within the three mile limit. From then on, we had
to stipulate that none of the group purchase would go to this
individual.
This is where I developed my taste for somewhat well aged baked goods!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Bob" wrote in message
link.net...
This is good! Once the property owner, in this case the machine owner,
places it in the dumpster he has formally abandon the property and is no
longer the owner (refer to U.S. Federal Government v. Richard M. Nixon,

et.
al.). You should then contact the owner of the dumpster since the

property
is theirs and negotiate a nominal price. This has been held up in court
time-after-time. Refer to several of the dumpster diving groups and web
pages for additional information.

R.

Perhaps legally it is good, but we're talking about a precision machine
tool, not an anvil. Once you've dumped a machine as described, it's most
likely reduced to junk, and that's the sad part here. It would be no
different from dropping a grand piano, the difference is the damage may not
be obvious to the casual observer. I'm of the opinion that under the
circumstances discussed in this particular case, the owners of the machine
could have shown minimal concern for their employees and sold the machine
for a modest fee with the usual disclaimers as a part of the deal, keeping
them out of harms way and using the modest fee to cover the cost of doing
what most of us would have agreed was the "right thing to do". I'm also
of the opinion that the lack of concern for others is all to much a sign of
how we, as a society, are headed down the wrong path these days, concerned
with only ourselves and caring nothing about the well being of our fellow
man. I guess it's just a part of the "me" society. I still maintain the
boss-man was an asshole.

Harold

Udie

"wmbjk" wrote in message

Couldn't help but chuckle! When I refined precious metals, delivering

them
was always a concern. While unusual, there were times when I might have as
much as $100,000 in value being delivered to the customer. To aid in
limiting the appearance of being worth mugging, I wore my (stained and

acid
burned) work clothing and drove an old beat out (read that rust bucket)
pickup, leaving our new shiny one in the garage. You can trust me when

tell you that I was never confused with either of those guys! g

Harold

Reminds me of a tale my maternal grandmother used to
tell................................

My Great Grandfather had a small watch factory in London England, in the mid
to late 1800s. A lot of custom, hand finished watches were produced. The
decoration on the Gold cases was put on by an engine turner, some distance
away. Several of the staff were mugged while transporting the cases. The
solution was to dress my the 10 year old grandmother in raggety clothing,
like a homeless street urchin. The watch cases were tied to strings hung
around her neck, and under her clothing. She was given fare for the horse
tram, to be used on the return trip. She would then skip through the streets
unmolested to the Engine turners, and return home on the tram. The firm, and
their residence was at 20 Rutland Street. I often wonder if the building is
still there.

Steve R.

Sunworshiper

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Magnetic signs are a vicious circle from my perspective. At one
company we use to take 4 off together in a safe place. Working by
myself at another , I would take them off within a block or two and
turn off the radio. They have "people" here that will pull you over
to check to see if your ducks are in a row for having signs on your
vehicle. I had a guy show up on a job and asked what Co. I worked for
cause there was no sign in the front yard. I hadn't a clue , then he
was like where are the signs on my truck. The guy was from the
contractors board and told me I have to leave , LOL, I told him to get
out of town. He said you get out or the cops are on the way. I was
there the next day to finish the job like I told him. Now, ya'll are
saying sue happies are looking to run into ya cause you do have signs?
GGGGGeee

Gunner, if we have a right to bear arms federally , why won't a CCW
carry over to other states when driving is a privilege provided by
states and you can drive all over the country?
Paul K. Dickman

Gerald Miller wrote in message
Since we had pigs and chickens they could safely dispose
of stale baked goods.

The safe disposal of stale baked goods is a serious environmental concern,
that plagues us even today! BG

Paul K. Dickman

JTMcC

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Well GGGGGeee, you're going to have to show me where someone said that.
I can point out some really large companies, a couple of them Enron
properties, that have quietly removed all the signs from all the vehicles
that aren't required by law to have them. This started over 6 or 7 years
ago. The main reason being, you have a little fender bender at the store,
the other cat reads the sign saying IBM on the door, and immediatly thinks
he has hit the bigtime.
Personally I like my signs, but I was hit by a drunk woman in a parking lot
once, she saw the sign on the truck and say's to me "Hey! your company will
buy me a new car!" I just grinned, she ended up leaving and they issued a
warrant for leaving the scene of an injury accident (after hitting my truck,
she ran into another car). Now, that is what we are talking about.

JTMcC.

Gunner, if we have a right to bear arms federally , why won't a CCW
carry over to other states when driving is a privilege provided by
states and you can drive all over the country?

Sunworshiper

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:01:11 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Well said . I agree. I always wanted a license plate that said
ME ME ME , but they would think that I was the conceded one...
Now after watching Finding Nemo from my kids movies , it should be
Mine Mine Mine... But, that won't fit. Blast

Its a whole different story if someone could use the machine in
competition.

Sunworshiper

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:57:03 GMT, "JTMcC"
wrote:

.. .

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Show you who said what?

Gunner, if we have a right to bear arms federally , why won't a CCW
carry over to other states when driving is a privilege provided by
states and you can drive all over the country?

JTMcC

Gunner wrote:

[...]

That was your comment, I posted my reply DIRECTLY after that quote, hoping
you would realise what I was responding to g.

JTMcC.

Gunner, if we have a right to bear arms federally , why won't a CCW
carry over to other states when driving is a privilege provided by
states and you can drive all over the country?

JTMcC

"wmbjk" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

I was advised by a rather high power attorney (for a major ag company)
NOT to put magnetic signs on my truck when I went out servicing
machines on my own. For the above reasons.

What are we talking about here.... a ten year old pickup? I know that
whenever I see old pickups with magnetic door-signs, the first thing
that comes to mind is - I wonder if that's Trump or Gates in the
driver's seat? :-)

Wayne

I can almost guarantee that the not 10 year old, but 25 year old plumbers
truck (with magnetic signs) running around town is not being driven by Mr.
Trump nor Mr. Gates, but I can also almost guarantee that the plumbing
company carries several million dollars of insurance, probably a million
liability on the truck itself. Everyone seems to be requiring a million on
our trucks at least.

JTMcC.

jim rozen

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

Couldn't help but chuckle! When I refined precious metals, delivering them
was always a concern. While unusual, there were times when I might have as
much as $100,000 in value being delivered to the customer. To aid in
limiting the appearance of being worth mugging, I wore my (stained and acid
burned) work clothing and drove an old beat out (read that rust bucket)
pickup, leaving our new shiny one in the garage. You can trust me when I
tell you that I was never confused with either of those guys! g

Heh. They used to re-fill the ATM machine at work from an armored
car, with two uniformed guys carrying the money. Now they show
up in a plain Taurus, a man and a woman, both wearing suit
jackets, of course.

But they are carrying the four cassettes for the machine, each one
the size of a *large* briefcase, heavy too. I think there was
a concious thought to make it low profile.

Jim

please reply to:

Sunworshiper

Your the Hot Head welder in AZ right?

Gloat??? Bob Paulin Metalworking 9 September 20th 03 06:15 AM
Logan Lathe Tool Gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 September 18th 03 07:45 AM