Posted to alt.home.repair

Default running a cable under the threashold?

I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall on
the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I would
really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 5:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall on
the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I would
really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

I won't address the "under the threshold" question 'cuz even though it
doesn't sound like it would be OK, I really don't know. However...

Any decent electrical supply house, like a lighting store with a parts
counter, will sell you any length of 10/3 that you need, by the foot.
Your borg might also stock it on spindles and sell it by the foot. No
need to buy a whole roll.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The NEC doesn't exactly specify that as a location you can't run NM,
although it may come under the "workman like manner" section

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall
on the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I would
really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall on

An electroction waiting to happen at worst, a failed future home
inspection at best. Why not splice your 10/3 in an outlet box near
the door. You can avoid the full roll by buying a short piece
'by the foot'. Outlets are always handy.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed
for the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go
through studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through
the wall on

An electroction waiting to happen at worst, a failed future home
inspection at best. Why not splice your 10/3 in an outlet box near
the door. You can avoid the full roll by buying a short piece
'by the foot'. Outlets are always handy.

How do you figure it is an electrocution waiting to happen? It would have
to penetrate the jacket and the insulation on a hot without making contact
with the ground, neutral, or other hot. And then someone would have to
touch the threashold and be a better ground than the what the threashold is
mounted on. I doubt you could do all that if you tried. A short maybe, but
an electrocution is all but impossible.
Why would it fail a house inspection? I guess that is my question; is it
somehow improper. To me, it appears that the threashold is protecting the
cable as it crosses the doorway, but it might somehow be forbidden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 13, 5:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
[...]

I am looking to use up a 25' scrap rather than buying a 50' roll. I expect
a roll would be cheaper than the 30' I need by the foot.
And while a junction box is legal, it isn't very workmanlike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Just curious Lee, why is it so many folks believe home inspectors have X-ray
vision?

Many garages have unfinished interior walls, the
cable's routing could/would be obvious?

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall
on the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I would
really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

Under a threshold may be a wet location. I hose out my garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed
for the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go
through studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through
the wall on the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I
would really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

Under a threshold may be a wet location. I hose out my garage.

The borg also sells wire by the foot. Cost more per foot than full boxes or
rolls, but may be cheaper in this case, if you have no future requirements.

aems ends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:45:38 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"lee houston" wrote in message
. net...

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know, but if you want more info from google, you may want to
spell it threshold.

(Someone tried the tactful technique of spelling it correctly and
hoping you'd notice, but that didn't work.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall
on the other side.

I'd not do it. While it may last 100 years, it may be a problem in two
years. Thresholds often get wet and dirty. Doors get replaced. It is not
the common "workman like manner" to have a wire. If the next owner decides
to replace the door, he may chop or cut into the threshold and cut the wire
as it is not expected to be there. It may even be you once senility sets
in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:45:38 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"lee houston" wrote in message
.net...

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Darn, you are almost a useful as a spell checker, but rather ruder.
The spelling doesn't much affect the question, now does it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed
for the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go
through studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through
the wall on the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I
would really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

Under a threshold may be a wet location. I hose out my garage.

That's a good point, but it is about an inch off the floor; and sadly I
can't wash mine out. I'd like to, but there is no drain and the driveway
slopes in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 02:22:46 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

somehow improper. To me, it appears that the threashold is protecting the
cable as it crosses the doorway, but it might somehow be forbidden.

I don't know, but if you want more info from google, you may want to
spell it threshold.

(Someone tried the tactful technique of spelling it correctly and
hoping you'd notice, but that didn't work.)

Darn, you are almost a useful as a spell checker, but rather ruder.

Oh, please. I usually try the same technique, making a point to use
the word, and spelling it correctly. But someone else did that and it
didn't work here.

The spelling doesn't much affect the question, now does it?

It affects the answer. As I said, if you want more info than you got
here, like from the web or groups.google, you have to spell it right.
Well, maybe it would correct you, but I didn't think of that.

This was not a flame, meaant to irritate you. It was a correction,
meant to help you. You ought to be able to handle that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

I don't know, but if you want more info from google, you may want to
spell it threshold.

(Someone tried the tactful technique of spelling it correctly and
hoping you'd notice, but that didn't work.)

Doesn't matter. Google catches the mistake and asks "Did you mean:
'threshold'

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I'd not do it. While it may last 100 years, it may be a problem in
two years. Thresholds often get wet and dirty. Doors get replaced. It is
not the common "workman like manner" to have a wire. If the
next owner decides to replace the door, he may chop or cut into the
threshold and cut the wire as it is not expected to be there. It may
even be you once senility sets in.

Couldn't you put up one of those little signs that says: "Underground
utilities. Buried cable." on the door jamb?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
I'd not do it. While it may last 100 years, it may be a problem in
two years. Thresholds often get wet and dirty. Doors get replaced. It is
not the common "workman like manner" to have a wire. If the
next owner decides to replace the door, he may chop or cut into the
threshold and cut the wire as it is not expected to be there. It may
even be you once senility sets in.

Couldn't you put up one of those little signs that says: "Underground
utilities. Buried cable." on the door jamb?

Edwin has hit on my thinking...

If it isn't the only way to route the cable for other reasons than the
initial want to save a few pennies, I'd vote for "No" for those reasons.

_IF_ (the proverbial big if which I think has already been ruled out
here) it were the only rational way across the doorway, and I were
confronted w/ the problem I don't believe I would simply lay the cable
under an Al (I presume) threshold but would make a cable channel in the
sill plate or subflooring and protect that per Code for nailing into by
a metal plate over it (not that I'm recommending doing that or
anything... )...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 5:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall on
the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I would
really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

It's a very unusual place to run a wire, and that means that no one
would hesitate to take a Sawzall or crowbar to the door and threshold
to remove it. Someone might try to throw in a couple extra screws to
hold the threshold down if it loosens over the years.

As someone who performs selective house surgery during remodeling for
others, I have encountered far too many "it seemed like a good idea at
the time" solutions. Your threshold-as-conduit solution is one of
them. Could it work? Sure. Is it a good idea? No.

I realize you're trying to utilize the cable remnant, but saving money
doesn't factor into the safety issue. The difference in price doesn't
justify the lazy man's solution. BTW, you could always sell the 10/3
you have on Craiglist and buy what you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 4:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed for
the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go through
studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through the wall on
the other side.
Obviously I will have to be careful to avoid snagging the jacket on any
edges, but other than that is there any inherent reason not to do it?
The alternative is to go over the door, and I would have to buy a roll of
cable to do that. Since I don't anticipate ever using 10/3 again, I would
really like to use up what I have rather than buying even more.

Reasons not to do it...

Some tiler or carpenter in 5 years is going to come along and drive a
screw or nail through it because nobody expects a wire to be there.

When the threshold gets loose a future homeowner will drill a hole in
the aluminum and shoot a screw there to tighten it, (provided they get
to the screwing part after the shock of drilling into it).

If movement causes the hot to contact the aluminum you have an
immediate danger.

If movement causes the neutral to contact the aluminum you have a
hidden danger in that your whole circuit has lost its proper ground,
because potentially a portion of the ground path is now carrying the
load or portion thereof.

It doesnt pass the "snicker" test even if the code books dont address
it specifically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 10:25 am, RickH wrote:
On Aug 13, 4:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:

[...]

IOW- if someone had done that previously, and you were to discover
it during some demo, how would you respond? Need restraint?

One conclusion- if you do it as proposed, make sure you don't leave
a forwarding address. :')

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to RickH :
Reasons not to do it...

One mo Dropping something on the threshold, and crushing it.
People tend to carry large objects in and out of garages.
Aluminum threshold extrusions aren't _that_ strong - a cinder
block dropped from chest height would crush the extrusion and
probably cause a short. The results could be rather spectacular.

It'd probably fail inspection under the workmanship clause.

Don't protective plates for wiring have to be 18ga steel or better?
Not that this is the typical use for a protective plate (eg:
cable too close to drywall face going thru a stud), I think an inspector
would insist on at _least_ equivalent protection for something
that will be as exposed to damage as much as a door threshold. Eg:
steel conduit.

Note also that some codes consider a few inches above the floor
in a garage as a hazardous location (gasoline fumes etc), and strongly
discourage wiring that low.
--
Chris Lewis,

Running a 220volt cable Jimmy Home Repair 2 March 14th 07 11:30 AM
Running cable across doorway?? Steve Home Repair 24 December 5th 06 08:52 PM
running electric cable Neil UK diy 4 September 18th 05 12:46 PM
Running new cable through or under joists? toller Home Repair 5 December 19th 04 02:50 AM
Running Electrical Cable [email protected] Kill the 2 trees in e Home Repair 4 October 15th 04 07:02 AM