[email protected] Kill the 2 trees in e

Default Running Electrical Cable

Attached to by Concrete block house, I have a screened porch (aluminum
frame,standard screen, indoor/outdoor carpet) and a Florida Room
(Vinyl windows, alumnium room, lineoleum floor). I want to run an
electrical line accross the screeded porch through the aluminum wall,
so I can install an outlet on the Florida Room. I am thinking of using
12-2 UF cable and running it accross the floor along the aluminum
frame, underneath the indoor/outdoor carpet. It will be secured in
place with some kind of cable anchors. I plan on using a short piece
of conduit where it passes through the aluminum walls into the Florida
room, then it will go up say 1 foot in conduit to an gfci outlet/box
with an outdoor cover. My question is it okay to run the UF cable
without conduit accross the concrete floor, underneath the carpet, and
along the aluminum frame? Any other ideas/recomendations? I live in
Central Florida.
Jamie

I doubt that's OK. Without citing a specific code requirement, UF does not
offer any signficant protection from physical damage. Being under a carpet,
it could be walked on, or a piece of furniture pushed on top of it.

I'd suggest a couple alternatives. If possible fish it under the porch and
come up through the floor where the outlet is to be located. If that's not
practical, run it along the wall and use a piece of surface mount condiut,
it comes in different colors and you can get outlet boxes that mate with it.

wrote in message
om...
[...]

SQLit

wrote in message
om...
[...]

Absolutely NOT

The only place undercarpet wiring is allowed is in commercial buildings with
removable carpet squares. The ribbon wiring is very expensive and requires
special tools and parts.

Check out wire mold and run it along the base board. When painted you it
almost disappears.

---

[email protected] Kill the 2 trees in e

SQLit,
I actually was looking at this product at Home Depot. The only
problem, they didn't seem to have the correct angle piece to make the
transition from the the floor to going up the wall where I will put my
outlet box.

now, looking at the example at:
http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...eway/index.asp

that part appears to be the "inside elbow." It just doesn't look
quite correct from the picture.

"SQLit" wrote in message news:jRwbd.82261$a85.503@fed1read04...
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ron

If you have a baseboard you can run the cable behind it after cutting a dado
in it to accept the cable. Then you can drill a hole in the wall and run
the cable behind the wall at a point below the outlet box , then run the
cable to the outlet box. The baseboard will hide the cable.
Ron
om...