Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default running a cable under the threashold?

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:45:38 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"lee houston" wrote in message
.net...

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just enough 10/3 to run a circuit in my garage if I run the cable
under an aluminum threashold. It fits under there like it was designed
for the purpose, but that doesn't mean it is okay... The cable will go
through studs on a wall, down under the threashold, and continue through
the wall on
An electroction waiting to happen at worst, a failed future home
inspection at best. Why not splice your 10/3 in an outlet box near
the door. You can avoid the full roll by buying a short piece
'by the foot'. Outlets are always handy.

How do you figure it is an electrocution waiting to happen? It would have
to penetrate the jacket and the insulation on a hot without making contact
with the ground, neutral, or other hot. And then someone would have to
touch the threashold and be a better ground than the what the threashold
is
mounted on. I doubt you could do all that if you tried. A short maybe,
but
an electrocution is all but impossible.
Why would it fail a house inspection? I guess that is my question; is it
somehow improper. To me, it appears that the threashold is protecting the
cable as it crosses the doorway, but it might somehow be forbidden.

I don't know, but if you want more info from google, you may want to
spell it threshold.

(Someone tried the tactful technique of spelling it correctly and
hoping you'd notice, but that didn't work.)

Darn, you are almost a useful as a spell checker, but rather ruder.
The spelling doesn't much affect the question, now does it?