Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Of Siding Question

Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Had new Cedar siding, pre-primed (oil) from the siding mfg., put up.

The pre-prime that they applied looks very uniform, clean, and "good".

There have been suggestions by others, and also by one or two painting
contractors, that another coat of primer should be applied prior to the
regular Latex house paint. Some said though, that it is really not necessary
to prime again.

If I do go with another priming (to help prevent bleed thru, adhesion, etc.)
the Contractor said he could tint the primer somewhat. Color, to match the
rest of the house, would be a medium brown.

Cost is becoming a factor.

Question:

Would another, Tinted, primer plus a Single coat of Latex-

- last as long as two regular coats of latex right on the existing
pre-primed siding ? (my original thought regarding the job)

- would it tend to "look as good" and last as long ?

**Or, would it really be necessary to have the conventional two coats of
Latex paint, still, put on over the extra primer coat ?

Guess I'm asking about the desirability of the additional primer coat and
only one coat of regular paint ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I would first contract siding manufacturer or check their web site to see
what they say about priming. Priming and finished coats really do 2
different things and are not interchangable.

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any painter who wants to tint primer will only do so, so he only has to
put one top coat on.
Unless you are painting the cedar white, I would just go with 2 coats of
latex over the primer that is there.

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Greg" wrote in message
Any painter who wants to tint primer will only do so, so he only has to
put one top coat on.
Unless you are painting the cedar white, I would just go with 2 coats of
latex over the primer that is there.

Not true. I ALWAYS tint my primer and then paint with two coats. I might not
bother with tinting if I were painting a light color, but my exteriors are
all painted reds and browns. I was lucky that California has a "barn red"
oil-based primer, so I've been using that on the new clapboards with two
coats of flat over that, and I don't have to tint. The primer is almost the
same color as the paint, so it works out great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The only reasons to reprime (for the purpose of priming) are when the siding
has been sitting around for a long time without paint or when the primer
coat has been damaged to the degree that bare wood is showing, which would
warrant spot-priming.

Some colors, like red, can sometimes require up to seven coats if the primer
isn't tinted (dark gray primer works better than red primer). Coverage
depends on the paint formulation and the sheen. Sometimes it's wise to
reprime with tinted primer to get better coverage because primer is cheaper
than paint, but usually only with certain reds or greens. I used red
O'Leary exterior semi-gloss paint the other day and it covered over white in
two coats.

Extra primer is worthless with regard to the long-term protection of your
siding. You should definitely go with two coats of paint or solid-color
stain, even if it covers in one coat. If you were repainting, one coat
might be an option, but you're not. Protect your investment.

Painting old cedar plank siding? TheRegit Home Repair 2 May 23rd 07 09:58 AM
re-painting garage siding Howie Home Repair 0 July 3rd 06 04:00 PM
siding vs painting RB Home Repair 5 March 3rd 06 03:56 AM
Painting siding vs. New siding Blake Patterson Home Repair 2 July 15th 04 12:47 PM
painting siding Joseph Meehan Home Repair 0 April 12th 04 05:08 PM