Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting old cedar plank siding?

I am about to paint the exterior of my 40 year old house. The house
has cedar plank siding on it and it appears it hasn't been painted in
quite a long time. I am not sure I have only owned the house 4 years
and I know the people that owned it before me didn't paint it either.
I have a couple of questions?

What is the best way to prepare the house for the new paint? I have a
couple of planks that the paint is bubbling. Should I only scrape
these planks? or do I need to scrape the entire house?

Also what is the best way to apply the new paint, should I use a brush
or a sprayer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Derek

Posted to alt.home.repair

TheRegit wrote:

I am about to paint the exterior of my 40 year old house. The house
has cedar plank siding on it and it appears it hasn't been painted in
quite a long time. I am not sure I have only owned the house 4 years
and I know the people that owned it before me didn't paint it either.
I have a couple of questions?

What is the best way to prepare the house for the new paint? I have a
couple of planks that the paint is bubbling. Should I only scrape
these planks? or do I need to scrape the entire house?

Also what is the best way to apply the new paint, should I use a brush
or a sprayer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Derek

Hi,
I did that on my last house with cedar siding. I had to brush off all
loose panit flakes. Then I brushed on Olympic solid stain. When I sold
the house it was still in good shape after almost 10 years. Good paint
job is depends on good prep. and quality material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 9:14 pm, TheRegit wrote:
I am about to paint the exterior of my 40 year old house. The house
has cedar plank siding on it and it appears it hasn't been painted in
quite a long time. I am not sure I have only owned the house 4 years
and I know the people that owned it before me didn't paint it either.
I have a couple of questions?

What is the best way to prepare the house for the new paint? I have a
couple of planks that the paint is bubbling. Should I only scrape
these planks? or do I need to scrape the entire house?

Also what is the best way to apply the new paint, should I use a brush
or a sprayer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Derek

the final look will depend on your time and budget. damp climate will
happily peel off more paint.
in buffalo ny: we have found if you use a pressure washer to carefully
wash the partially peeled surfaces to be painted, the water gets
pushed into the wood, more paint blisters up, and more scraping can be
done. complete drying of the wood is mandatory before any primer.
painting a house with success cannot be scheduled just on weekends
without perfect drying weather and perfect application by the rules of
the paint can.
everybody wants to skip something on the instructions but the results
depend on specified temperature range, normal not damp humidity, and
don't paint in direct sun.
your roof and gutters may have blister causing leaks into the eaves
and walls. look at the wall outside a bathroom for peeling from indoor
dampness. spraying generally requires an unusual condition of no
wind, and the finished look will depend on experience, i have explored
it and avoided it.
painting of the entire house is much more satisfying if done one side
per year. start with the house view you see the most often for painter
satisfaction. perhaps porch side. or pool side. it's going to be a
brush job most likely. unless you have a large crew, only work
sections of the house to completion, never the entire house in phases,
for a good looking house more of the painting season and the seasons
to follow.