Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Painting Of Siding Question

"Greg" wrote in message
news:GnKni.129941$xq1.12091@pd7urf1no...
Any painter who wants to tint primer will only do so, so he only has to
put one top coat on.
Unless you are painting the cedar white, I would just go with 2 coats of
latex over the primer that is there.

Not true. I ALWAYS tint my primer and then paint with two coats. I might not
bother with tinting if I were painting a light color, but my exteriors are
all painted reds and browns. I was lucky that California has a "barn red"
oil-based primer, so I've been using that on the new clapboards with two
coats of flat over that, and I don't have to tint. The primer is almost the
same color as the paint, so it works out great.