Joseph Meehan

Default painting siding

john wrote:
i dont know what is the proper way to paint this type of home siding
.. the previous owner touched up a few spots with what i think was
indoor latex paint lol and it peeled off ... when i bought the home
i wasnt crazy about the color but the siding is in good shape .. some
people tell me you have to wash it with something to get any dirt off
of it then paint it ... the home is 24 yrs old and the siding is its
original color has not been painted except where it was touched up in
a few places ... im attaching a picture of the siding .. any help
would be greatly appreciated

Maybe telling us what the siding is made of would help. Wood, plastic,
metal, composite, etc.

You can bet it will be a good idea to start by cleaning it. But without
knowing more I would not know were to begin suggesting additional prep
ideas.

Are you planning to paint it yourself or have someone paint it?
Personally I think any siding that lasted 24 years without being painted and
still looks as good as that appears, was a good choice.

If you are going to paint it just to change the color, that may be a
mistake, but check it out after you find out what you have. Often the
original baked on paints don't hold paint as well as the original did and
you could end up with a very ugly peeling situation, especially if you skimp
on the preparation even a little.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math