Blake Patterson

Default Painting siding vs. New siding

What is the approximate multiplier for cost of replacing siding on a
house vs. painting that siding?

I have vinyl and I beleive masonite siding on the majority of my house
and I realize the iffy nature of painting vinyl (and similar, lesser
issues of painting masonite) but just am wondering, that aside, what
the cost multiplier would be in general.

Thanks.

bp
Dan Hartung

Blake Patterson wrote:
What is the approximate multiplier for cost of replacing siding on a
house vs. painting that siding?

There's a multiplier between "purchase cost of new vinyl siding" and
"painting cost of new vinyl siding", but it's really a bit of an
exercise, since with clapboard you *must* paint or it begins to
deteriorate, while vinyl will happily last you a decade or two longer
without you even touching it. Part of your multiplier should be "sitting
on my ass and watching the vinyl color imperceptibly fade year after
year", because that costs you nothing at all.

I have vinyl and I beleive masonite siding on the majority of my house
and I realize the iffy nature of painting vinyl (and similar, lesser
issues of painting masonite) but just am wondering, that aside, what
the cost multiplier would be in general.

Vinyl can be anywhere from 50 cents to 2 dollars per sq. ft. for
materials. Paint is more on the order of 5 to 10 cents per sq. ft.
Labor, I'm guessing, is about the same, depending on house configuration.

m Ransley

To paint it right so it lasts go to a real paint store Like Ben Moore or
Sherwin Williams. PPG There are new products that will last if done
right. Sherwin Williams is so confident a lifetime warranty is given on
adhesion. All instructions must be followed of course so learn before
you hire someone. A multiplier you didnt say if you will paint the new,
3 to 6x is a guess