Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Greg is offline

Default Painting Of Siding Question

Any painter who wants to tint primer will only do so, so he only has to
put one top coat on.
Unless you are painting the cedar white, I would just go with 2 coats of
latex over the primer that is there.

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Had new Cedar siding, pre-primed (oil) from the siding mfg., put up.

The pre-prime that they applied looks very uniform, clean, and "good".

There have been suggestions by others, and also by one or two painting
contractors, that another coat of primer should be applied prior to the
regular Latex house paint. Some said though, that it is really not
necessary to prime again.

If I do go with another priming (to help prevent bleed thru, adhesion,
etc.) the Contractor said he could tint the primer somewhat. Color, to
match the rest of the house, would be a medium brown.

Cost is becoming a factor.

Question:

Would another, Tinted, primer plus a Single coat of Latex-

- last as long as two regular coats of latex right on the existing
pre-primed siding ? (my original thought regarding the job)

- would it tend to "look as good" and last as long ?

**Or, would it really be necessary to have the conventional two coats of
Latex paint, still, put on over the extra primer coat ?

Guess I'm asking about the desirability of the additional primer coat and
only one coat of regular paint ?

Thanks,
B.