Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Teflon" Thread Sealing Tape ?

Hello,

Working on my snowblower, early for a change, for next season.

Regarding the thread-sealing tape one uses to seal plumbing, or other,
threads from leaking:
(tempted to call it Teflon tape, but doubt that it really is)

Have an oil drain tube on my snowblower. It's steel, while the engine block
is AL.

The tube, being screwed into the engine block, gets really, really, hot
during engine usage.

I had the tube out, and when I put it back I wrapped the threads with this
tape.
(No thread on originally when new)

It "seems" to be leaking very, very, slightly now.

Question: Not sure what temp the tube really gets up to during use, but it
is definitely too hot to touch by hand. Is this type of tape good for the
likely temp's that it is probably seeing ?

Is this kind of tape generally used for an application like this, or is the
steel tube just screwed right into the AL block ? If so, wouldn't it leak
even more ?

Other approaches ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Good question. If you don't get a clear answer here quickly enough to
continue with your work, call an auto parts store. I've never checked the
packaging to see if teflon plumbing tape has a recommended temp range. But,
water pipes certainly don't get as hot as the metal you're dealing with.
There has to be something better for this purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert,

The tape should not be necessary to get a drip free seal. The threads are
tapered to prevent dripping. Try assembling, without the tape, when the
engine and plug are at room temp. Check your manual for torque suggestions.
Teflon tape should be very heat resistant. Some thread tape is not
teflon. Look for PTFE.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Martel wrote:

Robert,

The tape should not be necessary to get a drip free seal. The threads are
tapered to prevent dripping. Try assembling, without the tape, when the
engine and plug are at room temp. Check your manual for torque suggestions.
Teflon tape should be very heat resistant. Some thread tape is not
teflon. Look for PTFE.

Dave M.

Teflon (tm) a DuPont brand name for their PTFE. Teflon / PTFE has a
working temp well above the couple hundred degrees that a small gas
engine should be getting to. Pipe threads are tapered for sealing so
just tighten the pipe a bit more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just sweated off a 3/4" copper pipe with a threaded end, I had used
teflon tape on threads, after I got solder apart I cooled it down and went
to clean up threaded end and found teflon still perfect, I can garrenty that
copper was hotter then your engine is.

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found Permatex #2 non-hardening works nicely in cases like
this. Dab a little onto the end of the pipe, and thread it back
in.

Careful not to get the black goop on hands or clothes, it doesn't
want to come out. Alcohol dry gas helps get it off skin.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Robert11" wrote in message
: Hello,
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:56:13 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

[...]

You can add more tape or tighten it or both.

On faucets, you use more tape so you can position the faucet with
handle up. Nothing wrong with using 3 layers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Teflon tape is the correct term if it uses PTFE

Tapered pipe threads should always use some sort of sealant.

Teflon tape is great for high heat applications like the one you
describe. Just wire brush to remove particles.

Wrap the tape appropriately so that it won't unwind when screwing the
pipe in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On faucets, you use more tape so you can position the faucet with
handle up. Nothing wrong with using 3 layers.

Speaking of faucets............It is a good idea to take all threaded
parts apart on new plumbing fixtures and reassemble with Teflon tape.
This makes all future repairs a breeze.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree that BOTH pipe dope and tape would seem to be overkill, but in
stubborn cases, it works just fine. Check your auto parts store for
"Permatx" pipe/thread dope. Two versions -- permanent and non-so-
permanent. I keep the 2nd around for such cases. The other stuff sets
up pretty hard, and is very difficult to get apart again. The
Permatex products seem to work much better than the usual gray pipe
dope. Get a bigger hammer....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 7:56 am, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

Hot to the touch, but not that hot, really. Teflon tape will handle
it.

Be fussy to not have little shards of tape getting loose inside.

M'self, I'd probably put a suitable pipe nipple into the block, with
hardening dope, and use tape a/r at a cap. All this to make it as
easy as possible to capture the drained oil. Two wrenches a/r.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:56:13 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Other approaches ?

Thanks,
Bob

The Permatex product mentioned is a perfect solution - imo.
(Oil - heat - two materials and vibration) This will solve the leak.

The non-hardening type will allow the metal pipe to be removed if
needed. It will take the heat, reduce vibration of the pipe. likely
the cause of the leak)

Check an auto parts store.

--
Oren