Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default "Teflon" Thread Sealing Tape ?

On Jul 19, 7:56 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Working on my snowblower, early for a change, for next season.

Regarding the thread-sealing tape one uses to seal plumbing, or other,
threads from leaking:
(tempted to call it Teflon tape, but doubt that it really is)

Have an oil drain tube on my snowblower. It's steel, while the engine block
is AL.

The tube, being screwed into the engine block, gets really, really, hot
during engine usage.

I had the tube out, and when I put it back I wrapped the threads with this
tape.
(No thread on originally when new)

It "seems" to be leaking very, very, slightly now.

Question: Not sure what temp the tube really gets up to during use, but it
is definitely too hot to touch by hand. Is this type of tape good for the
likely temp's that it is probably seeing ?

Is this kind of tape generally used for an application like this, or is the
steel tube just screwed right into the AL block ? If so, wouldn't it leak
even more ?

Other approaches ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hot to the touch, but not that hot, really. Teflon tape will handle
it.

Be fussy to not have little shards of tape getting loose inside.

M'self, I'd probably put a suitable pipe nipple into the block, with
hardening dope, and use tape a/r at a cap. All this to make it as
easy as possible to capture the drained oil. Two wrenches a/r.

HTH,