Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Teflon" Thread Sealing Tape ?

I've found Permatex #2 non-hardening works nicely in cases like
this. Dab a little onto the end of the pipe, and thread it back
in.

Careful not to get the black goop on hands or clothes, it doesn't
want to come out. Alcohol dry gas helps get it off skin.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Robert11" wrote in message
: Hello,
:
: Working on my snowblower, early for a change, for next season.
:
: Regarding the thread-sealing tape one uses to seal plumbing, or
other,
: threads from leaking:
: (tempted to call it Teflon tape, but doubt that it really is)
:
: Have an oil drain tube on my snowblower. It's steel, while the
engine block
: is AL.
:
: The tube, being screwed into the engine block, gets really,
really, hot
: during engine usage.
:
: I had the tube out, and when I put it back I wrapped the
threads with this
: tape.
: (No thread on originally when new)
:
: It "seems" to be leaking very, very, slightly now.
:
: Question: Not sure what temp the tube really gets up to during
use, but it
: is definitely too hot to touch by hand. Is this type of tape
good for the
: likely temp's that it is probably seeing ?
:
: Is this kind of tape generally used for an application like
this, or is the
: steel tube just screwed right into the AL block ? If so,
wouldn't it leak
: even more ?
:
: Other approaches ?