Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Teflon" Thread Sealing Tape ?

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Working on my snowblower, early for a change, for next season.

Regarding the thread-sealing tape one uses to seal plumbing, or other,
threads from leaking:
(tempted to call it Teflon tape, but doubt that it really is)

Have an oil drain tube on my snowblower. It's steel, while the engine
block is AL.

The tube, being screwed into the engine block, gets really, really, hot
during engine usage.

I had the tube out, and when I put it back I wrapped the threads with this
tape.
(No thread on originally when new)

It "seems" to be leaking very, very, slightly now.

Question: Not sure what temp the tube really gets up to during use, but
it is definitely too hot to touch by hand. Is this type of tape good for
the likely temp's that it is probably seeing ?

Is this kind of tape generally used for an application like this, or is
the steel tube just screwed right into the AL block ? If so, wouldn't it
leak even more ?

Other approaches ?

Thanks,
Bob

Good question. If you don't get a clear answer here quickly enough to
continue with your work, call an auto parts store. I've never checked the
packaging to see if teflon plumbing tape has a recommended temp range. But,
water pipes certainly don't get as hot as the metal you're dealing with.
There has to be something better for this purpose.