Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default sealing driveway? If it's been done before do I need to reseal?

The former owner of my house sealed the driveway two years ago. I got
a letter in the mail from the contractor who did the sealing telling
me it's time to reseal. I did notices some small cracks developing in
the asphalt. My question - if an asphalt driveway has been sealed once
does it need to be sealed every two years for the rest of its life
now? I've read online that sealing a driveway actually can weaken the
integrity of the asphalt and is usually only done for cosmetic
reasons. Is there something else I can seal this small cracks with?
The problem with using some tar like product is that my driveway is
somewhat sunbleached now and anything I use to seal the cracks is
going to show - is there some clear product that will seal the cracks
without making them more noticeable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
The former owner of my house sealed the driveway two years ago. I got
a letter in the mail from the contractor who did the sealing telling
me it's time to reseal. I did notices some small cracks developing in
the asphalt. My question - if an asphalt driveway has been sealed once
does it need to be sealed every two years for the rest of its life
now? I've read online that sealing a driveway actually can weaken the
integrity of the asphalt and is usually only done for cosmetic
reasons. Is there something else I can seal this small cracks with?
The problem with using some tar like product is that my driveway is
somewhat sunbleached now and anything I use to seal the cracks is
going to show - is there some clear product that will seal the cracks
without making them more noticeable?

Why are you so eager to seal the cracks? If its a matter of weed control,
seems like an awfully expensive way to go about it. The cracks are forming
because the ground is shifting under the driveway, anything you do to seal
it will just have to be done again and again and again. I realize I'm not
helping you in the way you would like, but honestly there are some things I
care about and others I just throw up my hands and say "when it gets so bad
that it becomes an eyesore - I'll tear it up and put in a new one."

That's just my opinion, take it for what its' worth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
The former owner of my house sealed the driveway two years ago. I got
a letter in the mail from the contractor who did the sealing telling
me it's time to reseal. I did notices some small cracks developing in
the asphalt. My question - if an asphalt driveway has been sealed once
does it need to be sealed every two years for the rest of its life
now? I've read online that sealing a driveway actually can weaken the
integrity of the asphalt and is usually only done for cosmetic
reasons. Is there something else I can seal this small cracks with?
The problem with using some tar like product is that my driveway is
somewhat sunbleached now and anything I use to seal the cracks is
going to show - is there some clear product that will seal the cracks
without making them more noticeable?

Sealing asphalt driveways is about two things:

1/ Appearance
2/ Spalding

The first is obvious. Spalding is not. The rain gets into the cracks and
freezes and busts up the surface. Depends on where you live.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Charles wrote:

Sealing asphalt driveways is about two things:

1/ Appearance
2/ Spalding

The first is obvious. Spalding is not. ...

That would be "spalling"...

Spalding is the sports equipment people...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sorry, spalling is the correct term.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Charles wrote:

Sealing asphalt driveways is about two things:

1/ Appearance
2/ Spalding

The first is obvious. Spalding is not. ...

That would be "spalling"...

Spalding is the sports equipment people...

Yup. I posted a correction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sealed driveways last longer well looking good. the home next to where
I grew up has a over 50 year old asphalt driveway, till recently it
looked great. The homeowner must be in his 80s and is having troubles
physically and cant maintain it like he used too.

My asphalt driveway was new in 1985 or 1986 and looks good, it gets
sealed every few years.

the sealer prevents water from entering the small cracks which leads
to failure.

I think its money well spent.

owning a home means theres stuff to be maintained and sealer is fairly
cheap in comparison with a brand new driveway

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If you live where it snows, cracks are not good because of water getting
in
there and freezing and thawing.

Yeah I might be jaded because I live in an area where harsh weather isn't a
big deal - plus my driveway is already shot to hell - so I really don't care
about maintaining it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 14, 10:27 pm, " wrote:
sealed driveways last longer well looking good. the home next to where
I grew up has a over 50 year old asphalt driveway, till recently it
looked great. The homeowner must be in his 80s and is having troubles
physically and cant maintain it like he used too.

My asphalt driveway was new in 1985 or 1986 and looks good, it gets
sealed every few years.

the sealer prevents water from entering the small cracks which leads
to failure.

I think its money well spent.

owning a home means theres stuff to be maintained and sealer is fairly
cheap in comparison with a brand new driveway

Is it easy to do yourself or should I pay they contractor $150 to do
it for me? My driveway is only about 100 feet would it be that
difficult to get some sealer and a broom and brush it on myself or do
I run the risk of disaster if I don't pick the correct sealer (I've
read about horror stories of people tracking black footprints into the
house).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
Is it easy to do yourself or should I pay they contractor $150 to do
it for me? My driveway is only about 100 feet would it be that
difficult to get some sealer and a broom and brush it on myself or do
I run the risk of disaster if I don't pick the correct sealer (I've
read about horror stories of people tracking black footprints into the
house).

Comes down to doing manual labor. There is a special brush to do the job.
The sealer is heavy, needs to be stirred, takes some time to do. Not
impossible, just a bit labor intensive. Depends on how important the money
versus labor thing is to you. It 40, go ahead, at 65, think about paying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

Comes down to doing manual labor. There is a special brush to do the job.
The sealer is heavy, needs to be stirred, takes some time to do. Not
impossible, just a bit labor intensive. Depends on how important the
money versus labor thing is to you. It 40, go ahead, at 65, think about
paying.

My former driveway in Southwest PA was 300 feet long and I sealed it myself
using the best latex Sears sealer (bought it when it was on sale). The
first time, it took less than a full day and the fourth and last time, it
took me almost two full days and I had numerous aches and blisters.

Edwin is exactly right ... think about paying if you are older.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:54:14 -0000, Joe wrote:

Is it easy to do yourself or should I pay they contractor $150 to do
it for me?

I've sealed one driveway in Central PA. IIRC, I poured the sealant
onto the drive in puddles and spread with a paint roller and extension
pole. The drive was only sealed once in the five or so years I lived
there (mile from the Susquehanna River).

The drive was slopped and it had two cracks that ran across the drive.
I kept them sealed to prevent water/freeze damage.

--
Oren

"I don't mind coming to work, but that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

family in arizonia report sealer helps extend the life of asphalt in
very hot sunny areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:54:35 -0000, "
wrote:

family in arizonia report sealer helps extend the life of asphalt in
very hot sunny areas.

Between Las Vegas and state line to CA, highway asphalt has been
pulled up by semi tires (limited areas), It gets hot , added by an
accident/construction delay and all the heat. Semi drivers were
scraping tires

You can see ruts in the pavement; in some places, even in Las Vegas.

--
Oren

"I don't mind coming to work, but that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch!"

Sealing concrete driveway Doug Home Repair 9 March 3rd 06 12:43 PM
Sealing cracks in concrete driveway Need Help Home Repair 2 April 21st 05 01:46 PM
Driveway simulet UK diy 7 January 30th 04 05:30 PM
Oil on Driveway timegoesby UK diy 4 January 8th 04 10:52 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM