Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default sealing driveway? If it's been done before do I need to reseal?

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
The former owner of my house sealed the driveway two years ago. I got
a letter in the mail from the contractor who did the sealing telling
me it's time to reseal. I did notices some small cracks developing in
the asphalt. My question - if an asphalt driveway has been sealed once
does it need to be sealed every two years for the rest of its life
now? I've read online that sealing a driveway actually can weaken the
integrity of the asphalt and is usually only done for cosmetic
reasons. Is there something else I can seal this small cracks with?
The problem with using some tar like product is that my driveway is
somewhat sunbleached now and anything I use to seal the cracks is
going to show - is there some clear product that will seal the cracks
without making them more noticeable?

Why are you so eager to seal the cracks? If its a matter of weed control,
seems like an awfully expensive way to go about it. The cracks are forming
because the ground is shifting under the driveway, anything you do to seal
it will just have to be done again and again and again. I realize I'm not
helping you in the way you would like, but honestly there are some things I
care about and others I just throw up my hands and say "when it gets so bad
that it becomes an eyesore - I'll tear it up and put in a new one."

That's just my opinion, take it for what its' worth.