simulet

Default Driveway

Hi
Would anyone know how much it costs to get a driveway for two cars? I
live in the W.Sussex area? If you can recommend a good company, that
would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Simulet
John Rumm

simulet wrote:

Would anyone know how much it costs to get a driveway for two cars? I

I take it you are not including the purchase of land in this question?

live in the W.Sussex area? If you can recommend a good company, that
would be very welcome.

If you are looking to DIY then this would be a good starting place:-

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

--
Cheers,

John.

simulet

Hi again,

I am looking for a driveway in block paving (something durable). We
have two quite wide cars (compared to the former Smart I had!), and I
reckon the size is 5m x 7m.

Cheers,
Simulet
John Rumm

simulet wrote:

I am looking for a driveway in block paving (something durable). We
have two quite wide cars (compared to the former Smart I had!), and I
reckon the size is 5m x 7m.

Personally I would hire a 1.5 tonne mini digger (probably 100 - 200 ish
for the week) and dig out the area to approx 30cm deep (how deep you
would go would depend a bit on the type of soil you have and how much
other "stuff" there is in it (tree roots etc).

Dump the spoil in a couple of large skips (approx 130 each). Backfill
approx 20cm with type 1 MOT road stone (probably under 15/tonne if you
get it delivered in the "empty" skips - again if the ground is unstable
/ soft you may want to dig deeper and have some hard core under the Type
1) then level it off and tamp it down with a plate vibrator.

Next about 5cm of sharp sand - level and vibrate. Lay the blocks, and
vibrate them flat (with a rubber protecting mat on the plate vibrator).
Finally sweep in a dry soft sand and cement mix to grout the blocks.

No idea what it would cost to "have done" - but it is sure to be several K.

--
Cheers,

John.

PJO

Also consider patterned concrete. I have it and it's totally brilliant.

Cost... around £50/sqm up to £90sqm if you get ripped off by a sales
orientated company.

I paid £58sqm as did many of my neighbours and we're all very pleased with
the result and after three years it still looks like new - unlike sets which
always seem to inherit the odd dip no matter how good the sub base.

simulet

What is patterned concrete? I have never heard of it. Do you have a
website where I can see how it looks.

We would rather get the driveway "done", than to diy, since the hubby
is not that great with big projects - that said I have to get some
guys to redo the fencing in the garden - at present it is leaning like
the Pisa tower.

"PJO" wrote in message ...
Also consider patterned concrete. I have it and it's totally brilliant.

Cost... around £50/sqm up to £90sqm if you get ripped off by a sales
orientated company.

I paid £58sqm as did many of my neighbours and we're all very pleased with
the result and after three years it still looks like new - unlike sets which
always seem to inherit the odd dip no matter how good the sub base.

Tony Bryer

In article , Simulet
wrote:
What is patterned concrete? I have never heard of it. Do you
have a website where I can see how it looks.

Check out

http://www.pavingexpert.com/pic01.htm

More than you ever wanted to know about paving of all sorts.

Concrete driveway S P O N I X UK diy 1 December 3rd 03 07:22 PM
Driveway Squid UK diy 0 September 16th 03 03:30 PM
Resealing a pattern imprinted driveway TrueBlue UK diy 0 August 30th 03 12:05 PM
Ideas for fixing up driveway Ian Robinson UK diy 12 August 6th 03 12:36 PM
Weeds on driveway Slugsie UK diy 10 July 13th 03 09:11 PM