John Rumm

Default Driveway

simulet wrote:

I am looking for a driveway in block paving (something durable). We
have two quite wide cars (compared to the former Smart I had!), and I
reckon the size is 5m x 7m.

Personally I would hire a 1.5 tonne mini digger (probably 100 - 200 ish
for the week) and dig out the area to approx 30cm deep (how deep you
would go would depend a bit on the type of soil you have and how much
other "stuff" there is in it (tree roots etc).

Dump the spoil in a couple of large skips (approx 130 each). Backfill
approx 20cm with type 1 MOT road stone (probably under 15/tonne if you
get it delivered in the "empty" skips - again if the ground is unstable
/ soft you may want to dig deeper and have some hard core under the Type
1) then level it off and tamp it down with a plate vibrator.

Next about 5cm of sharp sand - level and vibrate. Lay the blocks, and
vibrate them flat (with a rubber protecting mat on the plate vibrator).
Finally sweep in a dry soft sand and cement mix to grout the blocks.

No idea what it would cost to "have done" - but it is sure to be several K.

--
Cheers,

John.