Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default sealing driveway? If it's been done before do I need to reseal?

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
The former owner of my house sealed the driveway two years ago. I got
a letter in the mail from the contractor who did the sealing telling
me it's time to reseal. I did notices some small cracks developing in
the asphalt. My question - if an asphalt driveway has been sealed once
does it need to be sealed every two years for the rest of its life
now? I've read online that sealing a driveway actually can weaken the
integrity of the asphalt and is usually only done for cosmetic
reasons. Is there something else I can seal this small cracks with?
The problem with using some tar like product is that my driveway is
somewhat sunbleached now and anything I use to seal the cracks is
going to show - is there some clear product that will seal the cracks
without making them more noticeable?

Sealing asphalt driveways is about two things:

1/ Appearance
2/ Spalding

The first is obvious. Spalding is not. The rain gets into the cracks and
freezes and busts up the surface. Depends on where you live.