Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas ranges - DCS vs Viking vs Wolf?

I'm remodeling my kitchen and have decided to splurge on a pro-style (zero
clearance) 30" range. The main contenders seem to be DCS, Viking and Wolf.
I'm leaning toward the DCS, but would welcome any feedback from folks with
first-hand experience with any of the above. Thanks.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rootworker wrote:
I'm remodeling my kitchen and have decided to splurge on a pro-style
(zero clearance) 30" range. The main contenders seem to be DCS,
Viking and Wolf. I'm leaning toward the DCS, but would welcome any
feedback from folks with first-hand experience with any of the above.
Thanks.

Why not ask on rec.food equipment? Pro-style is not the same as pro, but it
costs a whole lot more. I use a DCS pro range, and you won't match it's
performance with the DCS residential line.

Does anyone know which pro-style paint or wallboard works best? :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Rootworker wrote:

I'm remodeling my kitchen and have decided to splurge on a pro-style (zero
clearance) 30" range. The main contenders seem to be DCS, Viking and Wolf.
I'm leaning toward the DCS, but would welcome any feedback from folks with
first-hand experience with any of the above. Thanks.

Joe

I bought a 48" DCS dual fuel, and I regret it.
It seems to be quite overpriced for what it is.
It does not have many features that you would expect
in standard, non-pro-style ranges.
The cooktop burners are very poor at adjusting heat level:
most of the angular range of the knob puts out high heat.
At the low end, there is about 10 degrees where the heat goes
down to medium. There is a simmer setting that is too
low to simmer anything. If you try to set it between
simmer and low, it soots up.

I think that the most recent consumer reports has an article about
pro-style ranges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 1:09 pm, "Rootworker" wrote:
I'm remodeling my kitchen and have decided to splurge on a pro-style (zero
clearance) 30" range. The main contenders seem to be DCS, Viking and Wolf.
I'm leaning toward the DCS, but would welcome any feedback from folks with
first-hand experience with any of the above. Thanks.

Joe

I have a Wolf. Pluses a
Looks great
Burner control is great
Heavy Duty Construction

Minuses a
Major pain to keep the cooktop clean with all its nooks and cranny's.
VERY sharp edges on the bottom and the back of the unit. I sliced my
finger pretty good when I was putting it in place. Wear gloves when
you install it if you decide to go that route.
If you install the stainless steel backsplash/shelf unit be very
watchful of putting pots and pans to far back on the rear burners. I
have nice burn marks on my backsplash to demonstrate why.
I initially had a lot of soot buildup in the oven that required
frequent cleaning. Turned out the installed orifice was the wrong
size and the gas was not burning properly. Once I replaced the
orifice the soot buildup went away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for that pointer - I'll check that newsgroup.

I know that pro and pro-style are not the same -- However, my kitchen is
small, and I don't have the room to allow additional clearance, nor to
accomodate anything larger than 30".

Thanks again,

Joe

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Rootworker wrote:
I'm remodeling my kitchen and have decided to splurge on a pro-style
(zero clearance) 30" range. The main contenders seem to be DCS,
Viking and Wolf. I'm leaning toward the DCS, but would welcome any
feedback from folks with first-hand experience with any of the above.
Thanks.

Why not ask on rec.food equipment? Pro-style is not the same as pro, but
it costs a whole lot more. I use a DCS pro range, and you won't match it's
performance with the DCS residential line.

Does anyone know which pro-style paint or wallboard works best? :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd LOVE to be able to go for a real commercial appliance, but I don't think
I have the clearances to make it happen.

Joe

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Rootworker wrote:
I'm remodeling my kitchen and have decided to splurge on a pro-style
(zero clearance) 30" range. The main contenders seem to be DCS,
Viking and Wolf. I'm leaning toward the DCS, but would welcome any
feedback from folks with first-hand experience with any of the above.
Thanks.

Why not ask on rec.food equipment? Pro-style is not the same as pro, but
it costs a whole lot more. I use a DCS pro range, and you won't match it's
performance with the DCS residential line.

Does anyone know which pro-style paint or wallboard works best? :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Speaking of Speed Ranges in Drill Presses... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 0 March 18th 06 11:37 PM
Fluke 8600A will not show zero on low VDC ranges Anders Johansson Electronics Repair 1 August 3rd 05 02:53 PM
Smoke (and other) Alarms - best suppliers of compatible ranges? [email protected] UK diy 33 December 6th 04 09:48 AM
Wolf tools Simon Avery UK diy 1 August 7th 03 12:43 PM
Pilot vs. Pilotless Gas Ranges Tom G Home Repair 8 July 19th 03 05:39 AM