Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Speaking of Speed Ranges in Drill Presses...

Awl--

For the past cupla months, I been in my Dumpster Diving mode, w/ a cupla
cohorts. It's sort of a hoot.

Whilst making my way thru our latest abandoned building, I came across a
very badly rusted floor drill press, something even the most determined
DD'er would walk away from.
But I noticed some peculiar pulleys up top (two pulleys), and a conspicuous
DoAll-style stamped speed chart.
Get ready for this:
This speed range, of about 8-10 speeds, went from 380 to.... are you
ready??
* 8,500 * rpm !!!!
Yeah, eight thousand five hunnerd! Goodgawd....

What was peculiar about the pulleys was the belt--still on them. It was
like a long-assed O-ring, no thicker than one wire of 16 ga zip cord.

Could not discern a name on this press. Thought Walker-Turner (Turner
Walker??), but the ones I've seen have the name cast on the head, can't miss
it.
F'sure 'Merkin-made, tho. No doubt w/ some hellified bearings.
Mebbe a bathtub full of Kroil might help this thing....

Now, here's the punch line--
Even with this fairly panoramic speed range, the mid-range jump was "only"
from about 800 to 1300--no worse a gap than our 16 speed chinese prizes from
the previous thread.
Go figger.
--
Mr. P.V.'d