Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rodents (?) in Attic in FL

For several weeks I have heard noises in the ceiling that indicate we
have some uninvited guests in the crawl space. I understand that
wiring and ductwork can be destroyed and fixing those problems could be
very expensive.

I have set traps up there - wire cages with doors that close when
triggered and I bait them with peanut butter, mouse attractant and
bologna. After severl days and no trapped critters, I am getting
concerned that I need to do something else and soon. I have also
bought poison, but dead animals stinking up the house is unappealing.

Any other ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Torpeau wrote:
For several weeks I have heard noises in the ceiling that indicate we
have some uninvited guests in the crawl space. I understand that
wiring and ductwork can be destroyed and fixing those problems could
be very expensive.

I have set traps up there - wire cages with doors that close when
triggered and I bait them with peanut butter, mouse attractant and
bologna. After severl days and no trapped critters, I am getting
concerned that I need to do something else and soon. I have also
bought poison, but dead animals stinking up the house is unappealing.

Any other ideas?

One option is to call the local professional. They will know what is
likely in the area and what the most effect approach will be.

It is amazing how much noise even a chameleon or a small bird can make.
It would be a good idea to find out exactly what is up there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Torpeau wrote:
[...]

I bet it's a gator. to determine it's size just count 1 thousand one... 1
thousand 2... up to 5. every 5 seconds between sounds equals one foot. hth
Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 7:19 am, Torpeau wrote:
For several weeks I have heard noises in the ceiling that indicate we
have some uninvited guests in the crawl space. I understand that
wiring and ductwork can be destroyed and fixing those problems could be
very expensive.

I have set traps up there - wire cages with doors that close when
triggered and I bait them with peanut butter, mouse attractant and
bologna. After severl days and no trapped critters, I am getting
concerned that I need to do something else and soon. I have also
bought poison, but dead animals stinking up the house is unappealing.

Any other ideas?

I have mice and use traps and poison. The old fashioned mouse trap
works best for me. Little animals don't smell much when they die. It's
tough to seal all openings but you should do that. Saw an
exterminator on TV who set traps along runways where rats may go as
apparently these rodents are near blind and follow wall edges etc. He
did not even have to bait these traps ans the rats would just run into
them.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-07-11 07:57:57 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
said:

Torpeau wrote:
For several weeks I have heard noises in the ceiling that indicate we
have some uninvited guests in the crawl space. I understand that
wiring and ductwork can be destroyed and fixing those problems could
be very expensive.

I have set traps up there - wire cages with doors that close when
triggered and I bait them with peanut butter, mouse attractant and
bologna. After severl days and no trapped critters, I am getting
concerned that I need to do something else and soon. I have also
bought poison, but dead animals stinking up the house is unappealing.

Any other ideas?

One option is to call the local professional. They will know what is
likely in the area and what the most effect approach will be.

It is amazing how much noise even a chameleon or a small bird can make.
It would be a good idea to find out exactly what is up there.

Someone suggested a place where he/they are getting in and I will try
to seal that off -- hope he is outside when I do this so he isn't
trapped up there. The attic gets so hot right now that I wonder if
they don't go to a cooler place during the day. Also, they have to
leave some time for water -- when I wonder.

I am checking with the county extension service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Torpeau wrote:
[...]

Could be palmetto bugs too (roaches). Determine size in same manner
as above

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-07-11 08:51:23 -0400, Frank said:

I have mice and use traps and poison. The old fashioned mouse trap
works best for me. Little animals don't smell much when they die. It's
tough to seal all openings but you should do that. Saw an
exterminator on TV who set traps along runways where rats may go as
apparently these rodents are near blind and follow wall edges etc. He
did not even have to bait these traps ans the rats would just run into
them.

Thanks, everyone.

Another idea came to me. The attic gets really, really hot this time of
year. Locally, 93° officially, but I'll bet the attic hits 120 or
130. I guess they spend their days outside. Any critters have to
leave for water and putting a bowl with some some salty water in the
attic would make them even thirstier. Probably best to seal their
presumed entrance during the hottest part of the day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-07-11 08:51:23 -0400, Frank said:

I have mice and use traps and poison. The old fashioned mouse trap
works best for me. Little animals don't smell much when they die. It's
tough to seal all openings but you should do that. Saw an
exterminator on TV who set traps along runways where rats may go as
apparently these rodents are near blind and follow wall edges etc. He
did not even have to bait these traps ans the rats would just run into
them.

Thanks, everyone.

Another idea came to me. The attic gets really, really hot this time of
year. Locally, 93° officially, but I'll bet the attic hits 120 or 130.
I guess they spend their days outside. Any critters have to leave for
water and putting a bowl with some some salty water in the attic would
make them even thirstier. Probably best to seal their presumed entrance
during the hottest part of the day.

I had a raccoon in overhang for a couple weeks i couldn't get rid of a few
summers ago... i am in Indiana , It's typically around 90 during the summer
days. he would sleep all day & only roam at night when it was cooler... not
sure if your idea is the right one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Torpeau wrote:

For several weeks I have heard noises in the ceiling that indicate we
have some uninvited guests in the crawl space. I understand that
wiring and ductwork can be destroyed and fixing those problems could be
very expensive.

I have set traps up there - wire cages with doors that close when
triggered and I bait them with peanut butter, mouse attractant and
bologna. After severl days and no trapped critters, I am getting
concerned that I need to do something else and soon. I have also
bought poison, but dead animals stinking up the house is unappealing.

Any other ideas?

Seriously: Get out your wallet and get a "rat zapper."

I spent six months trying to catch what I thought was a mouse in my
kitchen. He had multiple access points to the lower cupboards along an
outside wall, so was free to come and go.

Finally went to the store and bought a rat zapper for forty dollars.
With tax and batteries, close to fifty. Nabbed a huge momma rat and
seven adolescents in rapid succession.

Follow the directions and be patient. Don't turn the thing on at first,
and don't bait it, just put some dry cat food near the entrance. Once
they eat that, put a little just inside the entrance, etc. Takes a few
days but once they get comfortable with the gadget you can power it up
and toast 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Torpeau wrote:
For several weeks I have heard noises in the ceiling that indicate we
have some uninvited guests in the crawl space. I understand that wiring
and ductwork can be destroyed and fixing those problems could be very
expensive.

I have set traps up there - wire cages with doors that close when
triggered and I bait them with peanut butter, mouse attractant and
bologna. After severl days and no trapped critters, I am getting
concerned that I need to do something else and soon. I have also bought
poison, but dead animals stinking up the house is unappealing.

Any other ideas?

Roof rats. Fruit rats. I heard funny noised in our downspout
(two-story) a few times, and couldn't imagine what it was. Hubby, as
usual, thought I was hearing things. Then, one day, sitting on the
patio, I saw a rat scurry across the lawn and jump into the bottom of
the downspout and heard him go up the downspout! You don't see many
homes around our neighborhood with trees overhanging roofs because that
is their favorite highway. Here is a good link to U of FL site; it is
searchable and has loads of info:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG218

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-07-11 08:51:23 -0400, Frank said:

I have mice and use traps and poison. The old fashioned mouse trap
works best for me. Little animals don't smell much when they die. It's
tough to seal all openings but you should do that. Saw an
exterminator on TV who set traps along runways where rats may go as
apparently these rodents are near blind and follow wall edges etc. He
did not even have to bait these traps ans the rats would just run into
them.

Thanks, everyone.

Another idea came to me. The attic gets really, really hot this time of
year. Locally, 93° officially, but I'll bet the attic hits 120 or
130. I guess they spend their days outside. Any critters have to leave
for water and putting a bowl with some some salty water in the attic
would make them even thirstier. Probably best to seal their presumed
entrance during the hottest part of the day.

Our attic is about the same, and before I moved here they had had pretty
serious infestations in attics. Our condo, at that time, had open trash
containers, bad roof, etc. Allegedly they go out at night to forage and
don't like to travel on the ground ... tree branch to fence to tree to
your house ) We have trash pick-up 2x week, probably mainly to keep
rats down. They also are attracted to dropped fruit, so if one has
fruit trees it is usually picked up right away.