Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Rodents (?) in Attic in FL

In article ,
Torpeau wrote:

For several weeks I have heard noises in the ceiling that indicate we
have some uninvited guests in the crawl space. I understand that
wiring and ductwork can be destroyed and fixing those problems could be
very expensive.

I have set traps up there - wire cages with doors that close when
triggered and I bait them with peanut butter, mouse attractant and
bologna. After severl days and no trapped critters, I am getting
concerned that I need to do something else and soon. I have also
bought poison, but dead animals stinking up the house is unappealing.

Any other ideas?

Seriously: Get out your wallet and get a "rat zapper."

I spent six months trying to catch what I thought was a mouse in my
kitchen. He had multiple access points to the lower cupboards along an
outside wall, so was free to come and go.

Finally went to the store and bought a rat zapper for forty dollars.
With tax and batteries, close to fifty. Nabbed a huge momma rat and
seven adolescents in rapid succession.

Follow the directions and be patient. Don't turn the thing on at first,
and don't bait it, just put some dry cat food near the entrance. Once
they eat that, put a little just inside the entrance, etc. Takes a few
days but once they get comfortable with the gadget you can power it up
and toast 'em.