Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Fan, Whole House Fan, Pressurizing Attic?

So I'm looking to create a kind of distributed Whole House Fan. There are a
few Rooms in the house that I want to Vent, so instead of venting the entire
house into the Attic, I was going to just do the 3 rooms I wanted to vent
and have the ability to vent them one at a time.

So I've been looking for a Small Gable Fan that I can hook up to a 15" Duct
and a 15" Square to Round Can in the Ceiling. Then vent the Room Directly
into the Attic. Thus causing the hot attic Air to be pushed out the Existing
attic vents (eyebrows, soffet vets, etc)

The NuTone N-GF900N was the unit I was looking at as it is a 900CFM unit.
Though that seems to be discontinued and the only one I can find now is a
1140CFM unit, which is for 1630 sq. ft.

I want to stay away from the larger units as I don't want to Pressurize the
Attic. The vents int he Attic are only rated for so much flow and If I have
too much flow in the attic out the vents It will start to come in the Light
Fixtures, etc back into the house.

So Is there another Fan besides the NuTone N-GF900N that is 900CFM or
smaller? I cant seem to find one. Is there another fan out there that I
could use that is around $60-$80?

Thanks!

Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:
[...]

I don't see the point to doing it this way vs the traditonal way with
one whole house fan and increasing the attic ventilation as needed.
Seems like less work. If your idea is to just use one fan at a time to
avoid increasing the attic ventilation, that doesn't sound very
practical. Instead of being able to effectively cool the whole house
at once, you're going to be limited to trying to do it serially and I
don;t think it will be nearly as effective.

And f you live anywhere where the winters are anything but mild, then
heat loss through 3 fans becomes an issue. It can be hard enough to
seal off one whole house fan so that you don't lose heat in the winter.
With several such arrangements, the problem just gets worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are several whole house fans out there that are 24"x24" and there are
a few that are the Dual Fans that fit in a typical Attic Stud bay.

I'm trying to do something like this:
http://www.quietcoolfan.com/

It wont be attached to the Ceiling, so you wont get the noise and Vibration.

90% of the time I just want to cool the Bedroom at night. So that's where I
wanted to start.

Thanks

wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

andy23 wrote:
andy23 had written this

Wow - an answer to a 3 year old thread. How useful can you get.

This may be the stupidest post from the succo parasite.