Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to buy HVAC units for DIY

What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

The short answer is, nowhere. Your local suppliers aren't even going
to talk to you. You can buy equipment off Ebay but everything I've
seen comes precharged with R22 so you'll need an EPA 608 II license
just to buy it (which CAN be done, if you're determined enough).

On Jul 10, 8:28 pm, "tburk" wrote:
What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

tburk writes:

What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use?

These guys in SE Florida cater to DIY: http://www.atlanticacsupply.com/

And http://www.grainger.com if you're hip.

Get your EPA license here online cheap and easy: http://www.epatest.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...IY-232960-.htm
:

tburk wrote:
I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the
freon or other proper coolant.

It sounds like you'll be opening yourself to a possibility that the HVAC
contractor will blame any possible issues on your install as in "not
sealed properly" and such. If you can find one that will agree to depend
on your work, that is.

\//.
-------------------------------------

News and Discussions Community of the Net

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my pursuit of the 608II EPA certification, can someone tell me if the
608I is a prerequisit?

Thanks,
Tom

ups.com...

On Jul 10, 8:28 pm, "tburk" wrote:
What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just
had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we
want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the
freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:28:04 -0400, "tburk"
wrote:

What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...1-ACF04B54583E

has detailed installation instructions.

Except for the last step, where they say you have to call someone.

I'd assume they sell the stuff too.

It has a phone number

Hmmm, most of the first 50 testimonials are from people who installed
their own humidifiers, but they have 274 more.

One is from a woman who installed her own thermostat. That's
impressive, given she's female and all.

If i looked right, only one of the first 50 is from someone who
installed his own ac, and one is from one who just got the package
that day. me, I wouldn't be sending a testimonial that day.

They give first and last names and cities, and I would find some of
these people and see if they are for real. I guess I would also do a
web and news search on the company too.

Contact Us
Email Us
Phone (800) 865-5931
Fax (425) 928-2455

Write us at:
Alpine Home Air Products
1002 22nd Street
Rockford, IL 61108

It's probably honest. Plus it says they give email and toll free
phone tech support.

It says, Better Business Bureau Approved but I don't see them using
the BBB logo. I would call them. The BBB doesn't have records on
everyone, but surely they'd have complaints on someone who mentions
them. I think you have to call the office in Rockford, or near there.
You can be confident in our service and product quality. Our operating
principles meet the Better Business Bureau's high standards for
excellence.

But the instructions look great. Someone posted them here in hte last
few months, but probbaly not the page I posted. It's about 12 pages
long or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tburk writes:

In my pursuit of the 608II EPA certification, can someone tell me if the
608I is a prerequisit?

Not the best approach.

Get the 609 automotive certification. The test is easier, shorter, and
cheaper but designed to get you access to the nasiest CFC, namely R-12 that
autos (used to) use. Since you are qualified to purchase and handle R-12,
the black-tar heroin of refrigerants, the not-so-nasty R-22 is also
permitted to you. You only need the 608 if you want to be hired as an
employee working on fixed systems. Suppliers can accept either to sell you
refrigerants and systems containing refrigerants.

Or course you must follow all the laws about venting and recovery of
refrigerants, no matter how you legally obtain them with 608 vs 609
certification.

And some states have laws that are more strict.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tburk" wrote in message
What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just

had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

You better locate someone that will finish your DIY project, first.

I will tell you, I don't and won't finish another person's problems!

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

... You better locate someone that will finish your DIY project, first.

And ask if they know the difference between latent and sensible heat :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tburk" wrote in message
What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just

had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

The companies that I know of will not sell to someone who is not in the
trade. Even if they did you would be paying full retail price. Your best
bet is to find someone or a company in the trade that will work with you.
Maybe you could remove the old system and get the site ready for the new
one. Offer to do all clean up and remove trash. You could also install the
electric wiring. You are better off having the installer furnish the
equipment for warranty purposes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

... You better locate someone that will finish your DIY project, first.

And ask if they know the difference between latent and sensible heat :-)

And if they know the difference between superheat and subcooling. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

+ wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

... You better locate someone that will finish your DIY project, first.

And ask if they know the difference between latent and sensible heat :-)

My wife thinks the heat should be at least 74 degrees to be sensible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...1-ACF04B54583E

has detailed installation instructions.

The instructions are great, but kpro is right that you should first
line up an installer who will finish it for you, because you can't do
that yourself without training and expensive tools;

So I looked at the webpage somemore, and I found as it it were hidden
in the Scratch & Dent page stuff about finishing the installation.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...E-304DEB6883D3
The second half of this this seems to appy to everything, not just the
dented stuff.

Part of it was a link that would find you a contractor and this is
what that siad:

" Enter your zip code below to view a listing of heating and air
conditioning contractors in your area.
Zip:

Taken from our listing of over 35,000 contractors nationwide, here's a
list of contractors in your region. We will narrow this list to the 10
contractors nearest you once you’ve completed your purchase with us
and requested our assistance to help you hire a contractor. Once your
order is processed for delivery, we will email you a list of the
contractors in your area that we are contacting for you.?"

So they only promise to contact a list of 10, but they don't say that
anyone among them has agreed to finish jobs like this. Contacting
them means writing them a letter.

For my zip code, the first list they provided included a fuel oil
company (which may repair furnaces and do a good job, but doesn't
install ACs, Im sure. And entries called Automatic Controls, and
Statewide Controls, which probalby make controls, but don't install
AC.

Their list is just something from yp.google.com. It's like when I
looked up kerosene, and only 1 out of 20 hits actually sold kerosene.
The others were only listed because kerosene matched up with keywords
like heating, so all kinds of heating places were listed.

And there is the warranty issue that someone mentioned. Very
important.

And they pretty much only handle Goodman, fwiw.

But their instructions seem great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...0-95A1-ACF04B5

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...-B9FE-304DEB68
[...]

That is exactly what they do... the contractors are not signed up with them
or even know they're on their list!!!!!!

And they say this should only cost $100-300 for completion?????? LMAO

If I would actually do this for someone, it'd sure as hell be more than
that!!!!!