Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to buy HVAC units for DIY

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:23:00 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:28:04 -0400, "tburk"
wrote:

What are good sources for a new HVAC unit for residential use? We just

had
our condenser die and instead of fixing it, its over 20 years old, we

want
to replace. I am quite the handyman and want to install it, although I
realize that a call to the technician is required for installing the

freon
or other proper coolant.

Thanks for your replies.
Tom

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...0-95A1-ACF04B5

4583E

has detailed installation instructions.

The instructions are great, but kpro is right that you should first
line up an installer who will finish it for you, because you can't do
that yourself without training and expensive tools;

So I looked at the webpage somemore, and I found as it it were hidden
in the Scratch & Dent page stuff about finishing the installation.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...-B9FE-304DEB68
83D3
The second half of this this seems to appy to everything, not just the
dented stuff.

Part of it was a link that would find you a contractor and this is
what that siad:

" Enter your zip code below to view a listing of heating and air
conditioning contractors in your area.
Zip:

Taken from our listing of over 35,000 contractors nationwide, here's a
list of contractors in your region. We will narrow this list to the 10
contractors nearest you once you've completed your purchase with us
and requested our assistance to help you hire a contractor. Once your
order is processed for delivery, we will email you a list of the
contractors in your area that we are contacting for you.?"

So they only promise to contact a list of 10, but they don't say that
anyone among them has agreed to finish jobs like this. Contacting
them means writing them a letter.

That is exactly what they do... the contractors are not signed up with them
or even know they're on their list!!!!!!

And they say this should only cost $100-300 for completion?????? LMAO

If I would actually do this for someone, it'd sure as hell be more than
that!!!!!