Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet - tuck or no tuck?

Hi all:

I am installing carpeting in two rooms where the current baseboard is
too low for the carpet to be tucked. I am debating between removing
the baseboard and re-installing at the proper height for tucking (not
sure if baseboard will survive being removed so this may involve
installing all new baseboard) or simply running the carpet right up to
the baseboard and not tucking. Its pretty tall baseboard so losing
the bottom 1/2" of it or so isn't a factor at all. We're looking at
installing a medium pile carpet (saxony)

This is a high-end home and I want it to look as such. I've heard
different opinions from the two carpet installers. One says that an
untucked carpet will be noticeable and will not look "high-end", and
thus I should re-do the baseboard. The other says that I will not be
able to notice an untucked carpet at all looks-wise, and the only
possible difference would be in 5 or so years its possible that the
carpet may need to be retacked if it starts to pull up.

Can anyone chime in with their opinion as to which is best. I'd
rather not spend the money to re-do the baseboard if I'm not going to
be able to see a difference.

Many thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:05:46 -0700, Actor123 wrote:

[...]

How it will look will depend entirely on what kind of carpet it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other says that I will not be
able to notice an untucked carpet at all looks-wise, and the only
possible difference would be in 5 or so years its possible that the
carpet may need to be retacked if it starts to pull up.

Can anyone chime in with their opinion as to which is best. I'd
rather not spend the money to re-do the baseboard if I'm not going to
be able to see a difference.

I'd not remove the baseboard. Most that I've ever seen have not been.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Actor123" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all:

[snip]

This is a high-end home and I want it to look as such. I've heard
different opinions from the two carpet installers. One says that an
untucked carpet will be noticeable and will not look "high-end", and
thus I should re-do the baseboard. The other says that I will not be
able to notice an untucked carpet at all looks-wise, and the only
possible difference would be in 5 or so years its possible that the
carpet may need to be retacked if it starts to pull up.

Can anyone chime in with their opinion as to which is best. I'd
rather not spend the money to re-do the baseboard if I'm not going to
be able to see a difference.

Many thanks

Maybe others won't notice it (or maybe they will), but you always will. One
of the things that identifies a high-end home is that things are supposed to
be done right, which means removing the baseboards, installing the carpet,
then reinstalling the baseboards.

From another point of view, if you don't remove the baseboards they are
going to get marked up during the carpet-laying, and you're going to have to
repaint or touch up. Now you've got a can of paint and a paintbrush sitting
on your new carpet, trying to paint the baseboards in situ, without spilling
paint on the carpet or leaving marks on the wall. Better to do it right the
first time -- remove the baseboards, lay the carpet, repaint the baseboards
and reinstall them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Actor123" wrote in message
ups.com...
Its pretty tall baseboard so losing the bottom 1/2" of it or so isn't a
factor at all.

I don't know what your trim looks like, so this may be the worse idea in the
world, but you may consider taking an undercut saw and removing the bottom
1/2" of your baseboard without removing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 6:19 pm, "Kitep" wrote:
"Actor123" wrote in message

ups.com...

Its pretty tall baseboard so losing the bottom 1/2" of it or so isn't a
factor at all.

I don't know what your trim looks like, so this may be the worse idea in the
world, but you may consider taking an undercut saw and removing the bottom
1/2" of your baseboard without removing it.

Anyone every try this? I've seen an undercut saw used for casings, of
course, but never seen it used for an entire length of baseboard. I
mean, some places in the house have a 24+ foot run of straight
baseboard. Can an undercut saw cut evenly enough over that length a
run? My fear is that I'd be trading one potential eyesore (untucked
carpet) for another (uneven baseboard).

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Find a new installer, you're dealing with a couple of bozos.

I know a guy which is a master installer, meaning he does inlays and all
that fancy stuff you ever seen, along actual wool carpet that sells for
over $300 a yard.

He installed my average carpet, and I questioned him about this. After he
got up off the ground from laughing so hard, he told me not to worry.

He set the tack strips about a half inch from the baseboard, said carpet
"must" be stretched 2" each way, then proceeded to stretch it with a power
stretcher. My carpet has a pattern with lines, so if it wasn't stretched
right, the lines would be wavy. After it was stretched, he cut it, then
tucked between the carpet over the tack strips & baseboard. He then ran a
hammer handle down over the tack strips to so no nails stuck through. The
first room was done about 8 years ago, and still looks as good as when he
did it. The following rooms were done as money would allow.

I consider myself lucky to know such a professional.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actor123 wrote:

[...]

FWIW, baseboards can be undercut to fit tile under it..we had our
baseboards undercut when tile was installed so that it would look
original, rather than have grout slathered around the bottom of the trim
and baseboards. I have never seen carpet under a baseboard, though.
Our tile contractor had an employee or sub- who does only the
undercutting. It was freshly painted when it was done, and not a
scratch or ding. Only thing that tile guys did that bothered me was
leave a couple of dirty handprints on the wall, but they came off )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kitep wrote:

"Actor123" wrote in message
ups.com...

Its pretty tall baseboard so losing the bottom 1/2" of it or so isn't a
factor at all.

I don't know what your trim looks like, so this may be the worse idea in the
world, but you may consider taking an undercut saw and removing the bottom
1/2" of your baseboard without removing it.

I think that is a horrible idea....never seen it, but if the flooring is
tile, you fill any gaps with grout. Can't do that with carpet. If
anything, add a quarter round after the carpet is down, but then you
would have to match it to the baseboard.........
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:44:13 -0400, "PT Karfal" wrote:

After it was stretched, he cut it, then
tucked between the carpet over the tack strips & baseboard. He then ran a
hammer handle down over the tack strips to so no nails stuck through.

I need to understand this. On my stairs I have tackstrips that prick
my toes when I walk up the steps barefoot. So I took a hammer and
didn't just run it over the tack strips, I pounded everywhere I could
feel a tack. But I think most of the problem remains.

My carpet is probably not expensive, but it still looks good on the
stairs, except in the center of the stairs. It looks good where the
tackstrips are.

How do I get to stop hurting me when I'm barefoot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:44:13 -0400, "PT Karfal" wrote:

After it was stretched, he cut it, then
tucked between the carpet over the tack strips & baseboard. He then ran a
hammer handle down over the tack strips to so no nails stuck through.

I need to understand this. On my stairs I have tackstrips that prick
my toes when I walk up the steps barefoot. So I took a hammer and
didn't just run it over the tack strips, I pounded everywhere I could
feel a tack. But I think most of the problem remains.

My carpet is probably not expensive, but it still looks good on the
stairs, except in the center of the stairs. It looks good where the
tackstrips are.

How do I get to stop hurting me when I'm barefoot?

You need to take some kung fu lessons. Once you can kick a brick in
half, walk over hot coals, and stop an arrow with your bare feet, the
tacks will feel like a pleasant massage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting...
when we put our travertine down, we pulled the baseboards and replaced them.

Unfortunately we did not know about the power trimmer for the door frame
moldings until we were 90% done and we used a manual one... what a mess.
Sometime next year we will likely replace some of the door trim too because
AS CAREFUL AS WE WERE...... they just did not come out even.

The Trave looks great though!

Kate

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...
Actor123 wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

I need to understand this. On my stairs I have tackstrips that prick
my toes when I walk up the steps barefoot. So I took a hammer and
didn't just run it over the tack strips, I pounded everywhere I could
feel a tack. But I think most of the problem remains.

My carpet is probably not expensive, but it still looks good on the
stairs, except in the center of the stairs. It looks good where the
tackstrips are.

How do I get to stop hurting me when I'm barefoot?

Not being an expert, I imagine it's possible they have the tack strips
facing the wrong way on your stairs?

I watched the installer just run the handle along the strips. There way a
"pop" or crunching noise as they laid down. He told me to try it, and I
didn't get the sound. He said I was going too slow. At first I thought the
nails were busting loose, but then felt foolish after I realized I was
questioning his ability.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:51:41 -0400, "PT Karfal" wrote:

"mm" wrote

I need to understand this. On my stairs I have tackstrips that prick
my toes when I walk up the steps barefoot. So I took a hammer and
didn't just run it over the tack strips, I pounded everywhere I could
feel a tack. But I think most of the problem remains.

My carpet is probably not expensive, but it still looks good on the
stairs, except in the center of the stairs. It looks good where the
tackstrips are.

How do I get to stop hurting me when I'm barefoot?

Smitty, I'm enrolling in Kung Fu on Monday. I'm going to teach those
tacks a thing or two. I may buy a set of brass toes, also.

Not being an expert, I imagine it's possible they have the tack strips
facing the wrong way on your stairs?

I watched the installer just run the handle along the strips. There way a
"pop" or crunching noise as they laid down. He told me to try it, and I

Hmm! .... That must be the sound of the tacks piercing the backing
of the carpet. I can't think of anything else.

Mine are definitely through the backing and into my toes.

This doesn't happen often. I've learned -- learing is automatic -- not
to put my feet so close to the riser when I'm barefoot.

Either there is more than one length of tacks, and he used one meant
for thicker carpets, or my carpet is reallllly thin (and cheap).

I'm very curious, but I'm not going to replace the tack strips even if
that would fix it. I'll never get it back together right.

It's not as bad as it was, I think, before I hit them with the hammer
the first time. I think I'll go over them with a hammer again, and
maybe swing harder. I was afraid if I broke the tacks the carpet
would come up.

didn't get the sound. He said I was going too slow. At first I thought the
nails were busting loose, but then felt foolish after I realized I was
questioning his ability.

Carpet Shampooing is the worst thing you can do to your carpet. dbl400 Home Repair 7 March 21st 07 10:38 AM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM
tuck point sealant cj Home Repair 2 December 10th 05 12:48 PM
Thin Mortar for Tuck Pointing [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 11:56 PM
Tuck-Pointing a Fireplace Pulling from House [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 1st 05 08:37 PM