Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Carpet - tuck or no tuck?

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:51:41 -0400, "PT Karfal" wrote:

"mm" wrote

I need to understand this. On my stairs I have tackstrips that prick
my toes when I walk up the steps barefoot. So I took a hammer and
didn't just run it over the tack strips, I pounded everywhere I could
feel a tack. But I think most of the problem remains.

My carpet is probably not expensive, but it still looks good on the
stairs, except in the center of the stairs. It looks good where the
tackstrips are.

How do I get to stop hurting me when I'm barefoot?

Smitty, I'm enrolling in Kung Fu on Monday. I'm going to teach those
tacks a thing or two. I may buy a set of brass toes, also.

Not being an expert, I imagine it's possible they have the tack strips
facing the wrong way on your stairs?

I watched the installer just run the handle along the strips. There way a
"pop" or crunching noise as they laid down. He told me to try it, and I

Hmm! .... That must be the sound of the tacks piercing the backing
of the carpet. I can't think of anything else.

Mine are definitely through the backing and into my toes.

This doesn't happen often. I've learned -- learing is automatic -- not
to put my feet so close to the riser when I'm barefoot.

Either there is more than one length of tacks, and he used one meant
for thicker carpets, or my carpet is reallllly thin (and cheap).

I'm very curious, but I'm not going to replace the tack strips even if
that would fix it. I'll never get it back together right.

It's not as bad as it was, I think, before I hit them with the hammer
the first time. I think I'll go over them with a hammer again, and
maybe swing harder. I was afraid if I broke the tacks the carpet
would come up.

didn't get the sound. He said I was going too slow. At first I thought the
nails were busting loose, but then felt foolish after I realized I was
questioning his ability.