Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet - tuck or no tuck?

Hi all:

I am installing carpeting in two rooms where the current baseboard is
too low for the carpet to be tucked. I am debating between removing
the baseboard and re-installing at the proper height for tucking (not
sure if baseboard will survive being removed so this may involve
installing all new baseboard) or simply running the carpet right up to
the baseboard and not tucking. Its pretty tall baseboard so losing
the bottom 1/2" of it or so isn't a factor at all. We're looking at
installing a medium pile carpet (saxony)

This is a high-end home and I want it to look as such. I've heard
different opinions from the two carpet installers. One says that an
untucked carpet will be noticeable and will not look "high-end", and
thus I should re-do the baseboard. The other says that I will not be
able to notice an untucked carpet at all looks-wise, and the only
possible difference would be in 5 or so years its possible that the
carpet may need to be retacked if it starts to pull up.

Can anyone chime in with their opinion as to which is best. I'd
rather not spend the money to re-do the baseboard if I'm not going to
be able to see a difference.

Many thanks

Carpet Shampooing is the worst thing you can do to your carpet. dbl400 Home Repair 7 March 21st 07 10:38 AM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM
tuck point sealant cj Home Repair 2 December 10th 05 12:48 PM
Thin Mortar for Tuck Pointing [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 11:56 PM
Tuck-Pointing a Fireplace Pulling from House [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 1st 05 08:37 PM