Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Carpet - tuck or no tuck?

"Actor123" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all:

[snip]

This is a high-end home and I want it to look as such. I've heard
different opinions from the two carpet installers. One says that an
untucked carpet will be noticeable and will not look "high-end", and
thus I should re-do the baseboard. The other says that I will not be
able to notice an untucked carpet at all looks-wise, and the only
possible difference would be in 5 or so years its possible that the
carpet may need to be retacked if it starts to pull up.

Can anyone chime in with their opinion as to which is best. I'd
rather not spend the money to re-do the baseboard if I'm not going to
be able to see a difference.

Many thanks

Maybe others won't notice it (or maybe they will), but you always will. One
of the things that identifies a high-end home is that things are supposed to
be done right, which means removing the baseboards, installing the carpet,
then reinstalling the baseboards.

From another point of view, if you don't remove the baseboards they are
going to get marked up during the carpet-laying, and you're going to have to
repaint or touch up. Now you've got a can of paint and a paintbrush sitting
on your new carpet, trying to paint the baseboards in situ, without spilling
paint on the carpet or leaving marks on the wall. Better to do it right the
first time -- remove the baseboards, lay the carpet, repaint the baseboards
and reinstall them.