Posted to alt.home.repair
PT Karfal PT Karfal is offline

Default Carpet - tuck or no tuck?

"mm" wrote

I need to understand this. On my stairs I have tackstrips that prick
my toes when I walk up the steps barefoot. So I took a hammer and
didn't just run it over the tack strips, I pounded everywhere I could
feel a tack. But I think most of the problem remains.

My carpet is probably not expensive, but it still looks good on the
stairs, except in the center of the stairs. It looks good where the
tackstrips are.

How do I get to stop hurting me when I'm barefoot?

Not being an expert, I imagine it's possible they have the tack strips
facing the wrong way on your stairs?

I watched the installer just run the handle along the strips. There way a
"pop" or crunching noise as they laid down. He told me to try it, and I
didn't get the sound. He said I was going too slow. At first I thought the
nails were busting loose, but then felt foolish after I realized I was
questioning his ability.