Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT sour grapes on the 4th of July

I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll be glad
when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.

I live in the county not the city, so everything's legal, and with about 5
indian reservations around us that pretty well guarentees that the 1,2,3,
and 4th will sound like an artillery duel. So I'm hold up inside, sicker
than a dog from some fricking head cold, wishing the kids next door would
accidentially put their eye out with those bottle rockets they have in the
hundreds. Meanwhile my cat is hold up between the first and basement floors
in a little hidehole he dug out between the furnace in the basement. And I
can look forward to a big big display right in front of my house tonight as
typically the neighbors will spend about 3 to 400 bucks each on fireworks.
and shoot them off literally in front of my house. Personally I'll probably
go sit on the patio and watch them, but I do have to get up at 4 tommorrow
for work so when I go to bed they'll still be unloading from the cassion
until well after 1. Then of course I have to clean up the mess, as most of
it will land in my yard.

It's not like I'll call the cops or something, that'll be a sure fire way to
get a goat's head on my doorstep. Who'd ever thought I holiday I used to
love would be such a pain in the ass as soon as I became a homeowner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I can't tell you how much I agree with you. Fireworks are outlawed
where I live, but you'd be surprised how many are set off. I almost
think they're worse because of the trying to hide them factor (close
to buildings etc.) Last year, the neighborhood kids set fire to stacks
and stacks of flattened cardboard boxes. All those burning ashes
landing on roofs, and all over the yards. Geez, what a mess. Our town
has a really nice town picnic at a lake, and really nice fireworks in
the evening. I wish they'd all go there. I don't want to ruin fun, but
damnit...I don't want my house burned down either, and my poor dog is
just beside herself. Hope you feel better soon.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll be glad
when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.

I live in the county not the city, so everything's legal, and with about 5
indian reservations around us that pretty well guarentees that the 1,2,3,
and 4th will sound like an artillery duel. ...

We're in a county that has banned them -- not that it makes much
difference since the OK line is only 2 miles away, they just set up shop
over there...

We had only four(!) fires day before yesterday from the
"drive-by-hold-the-Roman-candle-out-the-window" doofus'es.

Just some of the native grass on ours, but cash hay ground of the
neighbors and almost got into his windbreak trees but we were able to
keep it out until county got the trucks out. Fortunately they either
ran out before they got there or at least knew enough to not set the
uncut wheat off.

GOT to do something about the border or if not at least figure out how
to housebreak them if they're going to keep coming...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

[...]

Here's a freak fireworks accident resulting in death...

http://www.willistonobserver.com/articles/article7.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Yeah I can understand why they outlawed them if you have wheat and hay
fields. I used to work the wheat fields in Walla Walla Wa and have had to

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll
be glad when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.

For thousands of years, in almost every society, loud noises were believed
to ward off evil spirits. On special days - such as the Chinese New Year -
drums, fireworks, or just plain yelling, was effacious in guaranteeing a
properous future.

I'm not saying the banning of fireworks is the cause of society's moral
decay, but there is a correlation...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

[...]

If they were leaving their crap for me to clean up,damn sure I would call
the cops on them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote in message ...

For thousands of years, in almost every society, loud noises were

believed
to ward off evil spirits. On special days - such as the Chinese New

Year -
drums, fireworks, or just plain yelling, was effacious in

guaranteeing a
properous future.

I'm not saying the banning of fireworks is the cause of society's

moral
decay, but there is a correlation...

How funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 16:23:02 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:
I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll
be glad when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.

For thousands of years, in almost every society, loud noises were believed
to ward off evil spirits. On special days - such as the Chinese New Year -
drums, fireworks, or just plain yelling, was effacious in guaranteeing a
properous future.

I'm not saying the banning of fireworks is the cause of society's moral
decay, but there is a correlation...

I think it's VCRs and MP3 players. Ever since they've had those
things, morality has gone to pot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

[...]

I'm not willing to go against 5 of my neighbors for a one day affair - even
though I do think it's crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Around here everything is so wet that you couldn't start a fire of any
significance with a flame thrower, much less stray embers from consumer
fireworks. I'll be launching some assorted pyrotechnics this evening.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

We're west of there...at least the earlier wet weather has left things
somewhat green so far, but we're needing it now. Trying today, but
looks like the front is already too far east from where things are
firing up so far this afternoon...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

[...]

Next year buy five thousand of the loudest things you can get, and set
'em to go off under the neighbor's windows when you get up at 4 a.m.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

== Irresponsible Firework "fun" ==

Next year buy five thousand of the loudest things
you can get, and set 'em to go off under the neighbor's
windows when you get up at 4 a.m.

You'd think, logically, this would work -- especially if you lit
'em all off under this kids' windows. Instead, those
Deliverance-rejects would call the sheriffs office and push
charges against him.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 16:39:54 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I'm not willing to go against 5 of my neighbors for a one day affair - even
though I do think it's crap.

I guess it's too late now, but if you were sure they wouldn't burn
your house down while you were gone, you could go to a motel, if you
were sure there wouldn't be fireworks there too.

You could go to Cuba, via Mexico. I don't think they celebrate July
4th there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm not willing to go against 5 of my neighbors for a one day affair -
even though I do think it's crap.

I agree. I'd rather have that one day a year than some of the neighbors
cutting their grass on Sunday at dinner time when we'd like to relax and
have a meal with friends out on the deck. The worst offender is retired and
home all day, seven days a week, but runs the friggin tractor over the same
spot at least three times, always on Sunday evening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm not willing to go against 5 of my neighbors for a one day affair -
even though I do think it's crap.

I agree. I'd rather have that one day a year than some of the neighbors
cutting their grass on Sunday at dinner time when we'd like to relax and
have a meal with friends out on the deck. The worst offender is retired
and home all day, seven days a week, but runs the friggin tractor over the
same spot at least three times, always on Sunday evening.

Yeah I have someone in my neighborhood who likes to do the weedeating at 9pm
on a weekday. I can't imagine what the attraction is, would 7 pm be too
much for him to endure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm not willing to go against 5 of my neighbors for a one day affair -
even though I do think it's crap.

I agree. I'd rather have that one day a year than some of the neighbors
cutting their grass on Sunday at dinner time when we'd like to relax and
have a meal with friends out on the deck. The worst offender is retired and
home all day, seven days a week, but runs the friggin tractor over the same
spot at least three times, always on Sunday evening.

Same here, one day event that is over and gone and will only be one day
next year. The moron who lets their dog bark for 4 hours/day and the
grass cutting at dinner are what drive me nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

[...]

why aren't your neighbors doing this in front of their own homes?

and who's going to know WHO called the cops?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Yanik wrote:

and who's going to know WHO called the cops?

Who was the only Anglo in the area not participating in the action?
IIUC, there are only a half-dozen or so in the neighborhood...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

It's that it got to where there were so many fires and "accidents" that
it was simply impossible for the county to keep up. We have large areas
of grass plus the wheat (normally it would all or nearly all be cut by
the Fourth, but this year the early rains have really strung harvest
time out by nearly a month). So, they just outlawed them county-wide.

Well, we at least got through yesterday and last night w/ no more
incidents around us. Spent the day and fairly late in the night
watching the road traffic and kept the truck parked in the driveway by
the road until went to bed to try to discourage those who might dally on
their way to/from somewhere else...the incidence rate will drop now
gradually until a spike over the coming weekend as they get rid of what
they've got left over until the end of the year two-week stretch...

And, unfortunately, the front left us dry again w/ all the rains east
and south where, for the most part, they're already flooded...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll
be glad when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.

I'm in Texas. All our public service announcements here remind people to
point their firearms groundward instead of up in the air.

For safety's sake. Think of the children!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The vast, vast majority of 'em have never -ever- celebrated Independence
Day. Don't really comprehend the concept.

It has become National Asshole Day. A Grand Competition to see who will
be the first to burn a neighbors house down.

Extra bonus points question:
What does it mean when:
1.) Everyone and they uncle is celebrating like crazy,
everywhere you look.
2.) A Glass Eye, that just *happened* to be mounted
inna Duck's Arse, could Plainly, Plainly See
that there's Absolutely Less Than Nothing to
celebrate (at least on a national level).
???

AQ

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:13:21 -0700, "Eigenvector" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll
be glad when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.

I'm in Texas. All our public service announcements here remind people to
point their firearms groundward instead of up in the air.

For safety's sake. Think of the children!

There was an accident locally that can be added to the freak occurance list.
http://www.komotv.com/news/8331442.html

But your response reminded me, I didn't go to the rifle range this year like
I typically do. And worse, I'm not even in a match this month! This new
ball and chain of a house has seriously cut into my range time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote:
I never would have thought myself saying or thinking this, but I'll be glad
when fireworks are outlawed in my part of the country.

[snip]

On Jul 4, 8:09 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
Next year buy five thousand of the loudest things you can get, and set
'em to go off under the neighbor's windows when you get up at 4 a.m.

Nice idea, appeals to my need for revenge, but not a solution.

What I'd recommend is sending a letter to your neighbors this week
explaining your concerns and inviting people to come speak with you as
to what you all, together, can do next year to make it a fun 4th for
neighborhood while respecting your needs and property as well.

And if you get no response and no solutions, then obviously your
neighbors are all selfish idjits who don't care about you nor like you
and they're just gonna put a goat's head on your porch at some point
no matter what, so might as well get it over with. Next year you call
the cops when the noise goes past 10 or 10:30 and the debris starts
falling in your yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 12:01 pm, Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama
wrote:
The vast, vast majority of 'em have never -ever- celebrated Independence
Day. Don't really comprehend the concept.

Who's this "them" of which you speak? Native Americans? Kids?
Americans in general?

Extra bonus points question:
What does it mean when:
2.) A Glass Eye, that just *happened* to be mounted
inna Duck's Arse, could Plainly, Plainly See
that there's Absolutely Less Than Nothing to
celebrate (at least on a national level).

Depends on your definition of celebrate. If you mean make a hoopty
noise about how great we are as a country, yeah, you're right. But if
you mean mark with humility our beginnings and the selfless principles
upon which this nation was founded, then there's even more reason to
mark Independence Day in times like these than there is when things
are good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The vast, vast majority of 'em have never -ever- celebrated Independence
Day. Don't really comprehend the concept.

Who's this "them" of which you speak?

Assholes. Not at all difficult to identify.

Native Americans? Kids?
Americans in general?

Dunno why you'd have to ask ...

Extra bonus points question:
What does it mean when:
2.) A Glass Eye, that just *happened* to be mounted
inna Duck's Arse, could Plainly, Plainly See
that there's Absolutely Less Than Nothing to
celebrate (at least on a national level).

Depends on your definition of celebrate. If you mean make a hoopty
noise about how great we are as a country, yeah, you're right. But if
you mean mark with humility our beginnings and the selfless principles
upon which this nation was founded,

You mean the values that are regularly getting trashed on a daily basis?

then there's even more reason to
mark Independence Day in times like these than there is when things
are good.

Celebrate the values that no longer exist? Not for me.

AQ