Old June 27th 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class action suit on this machine!

wrote:

had the same problem with my washer (same model). I wound up fixing
it myself for a couple of hundred dollars, and it's as good as new. I
was able to get a new complete drum assembly for that price, and
simply swap it. Other people have reported being able to simply
replace the bearings for about $50 or so, plus 2-3 hours of work.

More information he
http://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html

But how hard was it to replace that drum assembly by
yourself? Looks like a mess of bolts and nuts and
screws in there!

If you really want to get a new washer, the people on that forum speak
highly of the Staber washer. It's a horizontal-axis washer (like the
front loaders), but it's top-loading. It also has 2 bearings (one in
the front, and one in the back), so there would be less load on each
one.

have looked into Stabler.... might consider it

Old June 27th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

My Whirlpool was here when I moved in, 1994. It's gotten light
use since then. I had to oil the motor in 1994, and then again a
few years later. And the timer got sluggish, I had to take that
apart, and reoil it.

Only seven years? Bah!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
:
: Unless you have an expensive machine (e.g.: a front loader),
you just don't
: pay anything to repair 7 year old washing machines. You just
get a new
: one.
:
: You were a little unlucky but 7 years is OK for a washing
machine.
:
:

Old June 27th 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 9:44 am, wrote:
wrote:
had the same problem with my washer (same model). I wound up fixing
it myself for a couple of hundred dollars, and it's as good as new. I
was able to get a new complete drum assembly for that price, and
simply swap it. Other people have reported being able to simply
replace the bearings for about $50 or so, plus 2-3 hours of work.

More information hehttp://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html

But how hard was it to replace that drum assembly by
yourself? Looks like a mess of bolts and nuts and
screws in there!

I replaced the entire drum unit (inner drum, both outer shells). I
was able to get the part from Sears (Canada) for 152.99 at the time.
Apparently, the part costs $300-400 in the US right now.

It was actually pretty straightforward to do the swap. It would have
taken longer if I wanted to replace the bearings only (I would have
had to take apart the shell, and it would probably add a couple of
hours to the job).

Here is the guide I followed to remove and replace the drum set:
http://www.zenzoidman.com/documents/RearBearingV6.pdf

Old June 27th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Because they are normally closed when not in use. Also the mildew is just
more obvious at the front seal. Top loaders have mildew between tubs but
you can't see it.

wrote in message
AE Todd wrote:

All front loaders
have a propensity toward mildew and mold, some more than others.

why is this...?

Old June 28th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Mildew and odor form on front loaders for a couple for reasons. Water
pools at the bottom, but on the other surface area of the outer tub,
water just sprays onto the surface. If you add soap scum in the area
of the outer tub that gets very little washing action of water, this
makes a potent breeding ground for mildew and odor, As far as the
rubber boot goes, this forms mildew due the properties of the rubber
itself, as well as the presence of water and humidity.

Why replace the outer tub in order to replace the bearings? The
bearings on a front loader carry a lot of weight. The bearing has to
be set into the tub strongly. This doesn't leave much room for ease
of removal.

Let me add one additional thought about...Consumer Reports. I have
read their reviews on laundry machines, and it is as if they don't
really know what they are talking about. For example, they rated the
Calypso washer, one of the worst designs of all time, very highly
until the bitter end. Instead of rating model numbers, which change
at the designer's whim, they really should rate platforms, the
building foundation of all machines. Here are the only platforms that
exist on domestic machines, both in traditional and non-standard
agitator (NSA) designs:

Whirlpool top loader and Cabrio NSA
Whirlpool Duet full size front loader and the smaller Sport (which is
slightly different from Duet)
GE top loader, and GE NSA (I forget the name of this).
Frigidaire top loader and front loader

This pretty much covers the entire field of washers. All other brands
are just brand-engineered on these platforms. For example, the GE
front loader sold at Home Depot is made by Frigidaire. All Kenmore
machines are covered in the list above. All Maytag machines are
rebadged Whirlpool machines, Amana and other Maytag brands too.

Odds and ends...There is a larger GE front loader rebadged from Asia,
Korea I think. Don't know if this is currently on the market. There
was an interim Maytag front load washer from Korea as well, marketed
after the Maytag Neptune, until Whirlpool bought Maytag, then it was
deleted.

Old June 28th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

AE Todd wrote:

Here are the only platforms that
exist on domestic machines, both in traditional and non-standard
agitator (NSA) designs:

Whirlpool top loader and Cabrio NSA
Whirlpool Duet full size front loader and the smaller Sport (which is
slightly different from Duet)
GE top loader, and GE NSA (I forget the name of this).
Frigidaire top loader and front loader

Have any thoughts on the LG or Samsung washers?

And...what's your opinion on the design of the Fisher
Paykel top loader? Good Bad?
Old June 28th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

the plain old style top load water wasters tend to be highly reliable
and low cost.

so a front load saves 20 bucks a year in water, in 10 years thats 200
bucks.

but rather than pay 400 bucks for a top load you spent 900 bucks on a
front load.

you will never see a savings from a front load they are a marketing
gimmick

Old June 29th 07, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

the plain old style top load water wasters tend to be highly reliable
and low cost.

more reliable than front loaders over all, right?
Old June 30th 07, 04:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ours paid for itself in the first year. In water savings alone. Wish we'd
had it 20 yrs ago when the kids were here. And we have cheap water rates.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...

Old June 30th 07, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 11:05?pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Ours paid for itself in the first year. In water savings alone. Wish we'd
had it 20 yrs ago when the kids were here. And we have cheap water rates.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message

oups.com...

the plain old style top load water wasters tend to be highly reliable
and low cost.

so a front load saves 20 bucks a year in water, in 10 years thats 200
bucks.

but rather than pay 400 bucks for a top load you spent 900 bucks on a
front load.

you will never see a savings from a front load they are a marketing
gimmick- Hide quoted text -

please provide some numbers to back up the savings. lets assume you
paid a grand for the front load and could of bought a top load water
waster for 500 bucks.

so how did you save 500 bucks in water and sewer in one year?