Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Front Loader washer bad strut? Recall?

I've *never* been very happy with my Kenmore front
loader washer I bought abt 5 years ago.

It shakes very badly.....and always has. And sounds
like bearing is going out

Does anyone know where I can find out if there has a
been a recall and repair on this model?

Or have any info if this is a factory defect?
Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
I've *never* been very happy with my Kenmore front
loader washer I bought abt 5 years ago.

It shakes very badly.....and always has. And sounds
like bearing is going out

Does anyone know where I can find out if there has a
been a recall and repair on this model?

Or have any info if this is a factory defect?

I wonder if the Sears web site has info on recalls. And,
www.consumerreports.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Technically, a recall is a sort of government thing, pointing to
serious and dangerous product deficiencies. Recalls are common
knowledge, and can usually be researched on the internet, including on
government websites. When there is a recall, the manufacturer will ask
for all items to be returned (for smaller items, like contact lens
solution) or repaired (for things like appliances and cars).

On the other hand, there are other sorts of actions in the appliance
industry that are not recalls, but cover updates to parts and repair
procedures. In your case, there is an updated shock absorber that may
help your vibration problem. However, if you have a bearing problem,
usually a loud metalic growling sound especially in spin, then you
need to consider an overhaul or replacement before worrying about the
shocks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Is it the big one made by whirlpool or the smaller one by Frigidaire. Our
big one had to be replaced when new because cabinet wasn't welded correctly.
Also had bad pump that made a racket from day one.

wrote in message
I've *never* been very happy with my Kenmore front
loader washer I bought abt 5 years ago.

It shakes very badly.....and always has. And sounds
like bearing is going out

Does anyone know where I can find out if there has a
been a recall and repair on this model?

Or have any info if this is a factory defect?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote:

Is it the big one made by whirlpool or the smaller one by Frigidaire. Our
big one had to be replaced when new because cabinet wasn't welded correctly.
Also had bad pump that made a racket from day one.

Not sure

I will take a look in a bit and get back with you

But its had vibration problem from day one.

And I've just lived with it for 5 years
Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
"Art" wrote:

Is it the big one made by whirlpool or the smaller one by Frigidaire. Our
big one had to be replaced when new because cabinet wasn't welded
correctly.
Also had bad pump that made a racket from day one.

Not sure

I will take a look in a bit and get back with you

But its had vibration problem from day one.

And I've just lived with it for 5 years

You may be able to duplicate the following experience where you live:
There's a small independent dealer here (Rochester NY) which also does
service, and has a parts counter. The parts guy is a living encyclopedia of
appliance knowledge. So, when my Kenmore dishwasher stopped draining, I
called him. He knew who made the machine for Sears, based on the mile-long
part number. He told me the 3 most likely places to look for the problem.
His first guess was right - a little plastic fitting. He had the part for me
in 2 days.

If you can find a place like this, they would be very likely to know about a
recall, and be able to assist you in fixing the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Documents that speak about updates to parts and service procedures tend
to be internal documents. I don't think you will be able to research
this yourself. Besides, I don't think it will be helpful for you for
the purpose that you want it, which I am guessing is to make someone
pay for your repair instead of yourself. The mere presence of an
updated part doesn't mean the bad one was defective, nor does it
obligate a company to replace it.

Here is a sample of a service bulletin: "An updated widget kit is now
available. Use it on the following models..."

It doesn't say "An updated widget kit is now available, because we
designed the first one poorly, and there is a possibility of fire if
you don't install it." I am talking about normal service and parts
documents, not recalls here.

I would have to agree with the last writer, that going to a smaller
sales/service outlet, and speaking to the parts counter person, will
afford you the personal and knowledgable attention that you are
seeking. While that person won't have documents relating to Sears, he
will know things about your appliance because all Sears appliances are
made by other manufacturers.

In your case, if you have a front load washer made by Frigidaire, then
there is an updated shock kit that is available. If you are handy with
tools, you should be able to install this yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I always find it interesting when someone complains about something
thats been bad for 5 years. I fix machines for a living, if somethings
not right complain right away.

I DONT buy stuff from sears!

Did you know that if you call them to fix a washer and dryer or 2
washers at the same time you will be charged travel twice? actually 1.5
times.

sears gouges on travel

Posted to alt.home.repair

I find the concept of a travel charge to be rather silly. Each
appliance has to be diagnosed, so if you think of the minimum charge as
a diagnosis charge, then charging this for two appliances makes sense.
In other words, diagosis charge plus labor to fix it, equals the final
labor charge.

The best way to manage expenses of appliances as a customer is to buy
units with generally recognized low maintenance requirements, and
install them well. Appliance servicers know which ones those are, and
this often differs from what a salesman will say, and what Consumer
Reports might say as well. In fact, I often wonder if there are really
an people who know appliances at Consumer Reports.

Another thing to note is that some manufacturers have horrendous
pricing for parts. GE is one example. And this goes for rebranded
products as well. GE parts prices will be much more expensive than
Frigidaire parts prices on a Frigidaire front load washer, rebranded as
a GE washer. Same part, but perhaps a different GE part number or
package, and a much higher price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please look at your receipt and tell me the itemized trip charge on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I will tell you a Maytag service agreement experience. Maytag Neptune door
lock motor failed on a front loader. It was near end of service agreement.
I tol Maytag symptoms over the phone. Guy came and replaced lock motor and
main control board even though latter was fine. I thought that was decent
policy.

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Please look at your receipt and tell me the itemized trip charge on it.

Sears charged at the time 75 bucks for the first item the gas forced
air furnace and 75 bucks for the AC on the same furnace, then discounts
the second 75 bucks by 1/2

the tech merely swapped tool kits, time less than 2 minutes...

this was a couple years ago when I was preping my moms home for sale.

to me the furnace with AC is a single appliance....

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a relationship between the door lock and the main control, and
it is a known problem to Maytag. Changing both is the only way make
sure you have all the bases covered. He wasn't doing you a favor; he
was just doing the job right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I believe there was a flaw in the early Maytag control boards for the
Neptune that if the lock motor failed the control board would burn out.
This unit already had an upgraded control board and in fact the machine
could be operated even with bad lock motor if you tricked it into thinking
door was closed.

oups.com...