Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class actionsuit on this machine!

On 12/26/18 3:23 PM, wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2007 at 2:19:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I bought a brand new Kenmore front loader washer in
2000. It was the model number that started with 417
xxxx.

I live alone, so only do maybe one load a week, very
light usage for a washer

After 7 years of light use the main bearing of this
machine failed. The seal failed and all the internal
lube as slung out over inside of machine.

To make matters worse, the main bearing is integral to
the tub which means that one must buy a whole new tub
assembly to replace only that main bearing!

Just wondering if anyone lese has been stung with this
washer and what they've done abt it?

`We have the same model bought in 2001 still running with no issues same with the dryer posted 12.26.18

The entire basket is mounted on a single main bearing. There is no other basket support.
There is a huge load on that bearing when the basket is spinning, especially if you select the highest spin speed.

To maximize the life of the bearing, it is much better to do two smaller loads than one huge single load. Also, avoid the use of the highest spin speed.