Old June 25th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class action suit on this machine!

I bought a brand new Kenmore front loader washer in
2000. It was the model number that started with 417
xxxx.

Old June 25th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

After 7 years of light use the main bearing of this
machine failed. The seal failed and all the internal
lube as slung out over inside of machine.

Unless you have an expensive machine (e.g.: a front loader), you just don't
pay anything to repair 7 year old washing machines. You just get a new
one.

You were a little unlucky but 7 years is OK for a washing machine.

Old June 26th 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote:

After 7 years of light use the main bearing of this
machine failed. The seal failed and all the internal
lube as slung out over inside of machine.

Unless you have an expensive machine (e.g.: a front loader), you just don't
pay anything to repair 7 year old washing machines. You just get a new
one.

You were a little unlucky but 7 years is OK for a washing machine.

Yes my machine IS a front loader

I'm not sure I agree that 7 years use out of an $800
front loader was such great longevity
Old June 26th 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote:

Unless you have an expensive machine (e.g.: a front loader), you just don't
pay anything to repair 7 year old washing machines. You just get a new
one.

Ok but what would you advise replacing it with?
Old June 27th 07, 02:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

7 years for a single person to use a washer and have it break is way too
short. Was it the small Kenmore front loader? If so it was made by
Frigidaire and is not reliable. Consumer Reports publishes frequency of
repair records. You can check it out at the local library. They just rated
washers again very recently.

Another unreliable frontloader is the original Maytag neptune. We have one
and it broke once in 10 years and we considered ours reliable because we did
about 6 loads per week including heavy comforters. The reason it got a
lousy reliability rating is that early models had 3 problems.... mildew
build up inside, a bad door lock motor, and that would burn out the circuit
board. But if you called up Maytag and complained about mildew during the
first few years of ownership, they upgraded it for free and corrected all
the problems. Unfortunately, someone started a class action suit so Maytag
dug its heels in and stopped the free upgrade. We got the free upgrade and
it is a terrific machine. You can buy the current version at Lowes for
about $550. Even though Consumer Reports says it isn't reliable for the
reasons I listed, I think you will find it reliable now that they got all
the bugs out and it is certainly the cheapest large front loader that
conserves water on the market. And Lowes sells 4 year service agreements
relatively cheap if you want to be conservative. Last time I looked you
could get 4 extra years of warranty for $89.

Consumer Reports favorite machine is the large Kenmore front loader made by
whirlpool. It is called the H3 or H4 or something like that. They run
around $900.

Old June 27th 07, 02:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 2:19 pm, wrote:
I bought a brand new Kenmore front loader washer in
2000. It was the model number that started with417
xxxx.

I live alone, so only do maybe one load a week, very
light usage for a washer

After 7 years of light use the main bearing of this
machine failed. The seal failed and all the internal
lube as slung out over inside of machine.

To make matters worse, the main bearing is integral to
the tub which means that one must buy a whole new tub
assembly to replace only that main bearing!

Just wondering if anyone lese has been stung with this
washer and what they've done abt it?

I had the same problem with my washer (same model). I wound up fixing
it myself for a couple of hundred dollars, and it's as good as new. I
was able to get a new complete drum assembly for that price, and
simply swap it. Other people have reported being able to simply
replace the bearings for about $50 or so, plus 2-3 hours of work.

More information he http://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html

If you really want to get a new washer, the people on that forum speak
highly of the Staber washer. It's a horizontal-axis washer (like the
front loaders), but it's top-loading. It also has 2 bearings (one in
the front, and one in the back), so there would be less load on each
one.

Good luck!

Rob

Old June 27th 07, 02:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Just a few comments about this thread...

1. The latest Maytag front loader is a rebadged Whirlpool Duet/Kenmore
HE machine. There is virtually no difference between these machines,
and you should get the cheapest one. All Maytag brands are now owned
by Whirlpool, which has shut down many of their former assembly lines
and put the Maytag name on their own products.

2. While electronic problems were fixed over the years by Maytag on
their Neptune, the mildew issue never really was permanently fixed,
despite all the mechnanical improvements they made over the years,
which included the components in the upgrade kit. All front loaders
have a propensity toward mildew and mold, some more than others.
Neptune, being the oldest and most popular design after the resurgence
in front loader popularity in the 90s, seems to have had the biggest
problem.with mold/mildew.

3. The old Maytag Neptune front load washer lives on, reskinned in
another cabinet, under the the Amana brand. It is now the Amana
Enlighten front load washer, with a model number similar to
NAH6800AWW.

4. All front load washers can have bearing problems, some more than
others, and you always have to replace part of the outer tub to
replace the bearings; the bearings are not a replacable part alone.
The old Neptune machines almost never had bearing problems. Front
loaders made by Frigidaire (and their rebadged counterparts) seem to
have the most.

5. Main seal leaks seem to be most popular with Frigidaire front
loaders (and their rebadged counterparts), probably because the o-ring
that keeps water in is so tiny, and the system that connects the front
and rear half of the outer tub utilizes a series of screws, instead of
the clamps that Whirlpool uses, and Maytag used in the past.

6. Because of main seal leaks, and bearing problems, Frigidaire
machines should be be viewed as 5-year units, unless you choose to
purchase some sort of maintenance agreement to deal with these
problems later on.

Old June 27th 07, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote:

7 years for a single person to use a washer and have it break is way too
short.

Agree

Was it the small Kenmore front loader? If so it was made by
Frigidaire and is not reliable.

Yes.... I think it is this model in fact
Old June 27th 07, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

AE Todd wrote:

All front loaders
have a propensity toward mildew and mold, some more than others.

why is this...?
Old June 27th 07, 02:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

AE Todd wrote:

4. All front load washers can have bearing problems, some more than
others, and you always have to replace part of the outer tub to
replace the bearings; the bearings are not a replacable part alone.

OK... but why such a design? Why couldn't they make
it so that the bearing only could be replaced?

5. Main seal leaks seem to be most popular with Frigidaire front
loaders (and their rebadged counterparts), probably because the o-ring
that keeps water in is so tiny, and the system that connects the front
and rear half of the outer tub utilizes a series of screws, instead of
the clamps that Whirlpool uses, and Maytag used in the past.

Yep!! That's what is wrong with mine.... the seal
failed and slung grease and oil everywhere.... then the
bearing failed

6. Because of main seal leaks, and bearing problems, Frigidaire
machines should be be viewed as 5-year units,

Agree on that. Wish Id never bought this unit