Dolchas

Default Any way to fix leaky ABS drain without ripping apart wall? (also, class action suit)

Greetings all!

About 6 years ago, my wife and I bought the shell of a an unusual
house. Construction started around 1979, and then after a few years
of on-again-off-again building, the house was allowed to dilapidate
for about 15 years. After purchasing the house, we completed the
construction job with the help of a resourceful contractor. All the
interior plumbing, drywall, electrics, etc. was done around 1997.

Here is the problem: The pipe from the first floor bathroom sink
basin leaks. We know this because, fortunately, the basement ceiling
is not yet finished, and we can look right up at where the black ABS
pipe comes down from the first floor and we see the water dripping
down the pipe. Behind the bathroom sink, the pipe goes horizontally
into the wall, then must turn down 90 degrees and then presumably does
not turn again until we can see it above us when standing in the
basement. When in the basement, we see the water leaking down the
pipe, but since the pipe disappears into the framing above, we can't
see the source. Therefore, I am guessing the only reasonable source
of the leak is in the wall where the pipe makes its 90 degree turn
downward. Does this sound reasonable so far?

What approach do I take to repair this pipe? Fortunately, there is a
bedroom dresser on the opposite side of where the sink pipe goes into
the wall, so I guess I can cut into the drywall and locate the faulty
join. How do I fix it when I find it? Some kind of miracle epoxy, or
do I have to cut and replace the pipes?

Also, although it is probably too much to hope for, is there any
miracle product I can run through the pipes to seal the leak without
me having to cut into the wall?

Also, one wonders why ABS pipe would leak so soon after installation.
Perhaps faulty workmanship is to blame, but then I found out about
this class action suit pertaining to defective ABS pipes:

http://www.abspipes.com/id.html

I don't know yet if my pipes qualify, but I intend to find out. Does
anyone have any further information or experience with this class
action suit?

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

It is not uncommon for some drain pipes to get fitted together but forgotten
to get glued. That would be my guess. I bad glue joint or a joint just
didn't get glued. Possibly a nail or screw also, going through the drain
line, that finally rotted out.

As there is no pressure in a drain line you could MAYBE just swab glue
around the joint when you locate it. But if it were my house, if you have to
open the wall anyway, it is not that much work to cut out some pipe and put
in a new piece and a couple of fittings.

"Dolchas" wrote in message
om...
[...]

JNJ

Here is the problem: The pipe from the first floor bathroom sink
basin leaks. We know this because, fortunately, the basement ceiling
is not yet finished, and we can look right up at where the black ABS
pipe comes down from the first floor and we see the water dripping
down the pipe. Behind the bathroom sink, the pipe goes horizontally
into the wall, then must turn down 90 degrees and then presumably does
not turn again until we can see it above us when standing in the
basement. When in the basement, we see the water leaking down the
pipe, but since the pipe disappears into the framing above, we can't
see the source. Therefore, I am guessing the only reasonable source
of the leak is in the wall where the pipe makes its 90 degree turn
downward. Does this sound reasonable so far?

Sounds like a leaky joint between pieces of pipe. This could be at any
point above where the water is dripping of course.

The first thing I'd do is check the drain to make sure it's not the origin
point of the leak. Then I'd go ahead open up the wall behind the sink where
the elbow joint is located and give that a look. At that point of course
you can also check the pipe itself for any issues.

If it's the elbow that's bad, it may be as simple as the piece was fitted
but never glued into place. Be that case, just finish the job. If any of
the pipe is bad then you'll just have to cut it out and replace it. The
nice thing about these pipes is how easy it is to do the work -- they just
glue right together, takes but a moment.

Repairing the drywall shouldn't be that difficult afterwards either -- you
may find studs are right handy and you can just cut back to the studs then
replace the piece you took out. For example, when we rebuilt the wall
between the bathroom and bedroom, it just so happened that the last bit of
area to cover was only a couple of feet wide so it got a partial cut that
covered the plumbing to the tub. If I had to get to the plumbing, I'd cut
the tape, cut an area large enough to work in, then afterward just cut a
piece to fit back in and re-finish. If you're not that fortunate, you can
also use some 1 by braces to hold another sheet of drywall in place then
mount and finish.

James