Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washer - no high pressure

Hi all,

I gave my smaller pressure washer to my neighbor (retired now, really
cool guy btw), and I brought it over to him and tried to show him how
it works. But I could get no high pressure. The model is a DeVilbiss
WGV2021-1 2000psi, 2gpm with a B&S 6HP engine.

Water flows through the wand at low pressure. When the engine is on,
there is no different in pressure, its just tap pressure. The pump did
not freeze over winter as I had it indoors. Last fall it was working
fine.

Changed the pump oil. No change. Oil was not low.

Changed the wand from high to low and back several times, no change.

Anything else I can try? Are the pumps simple to disassamble and put
back together again? I can get a new pump for $110, but I couldn't
charge him for it.

Any tips welcomed. This is the model:

http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany...21/wgv2021.pdf

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 10:15 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 13 May 2007 18:07:12 -0700, dean wrote:
Hi all,

I gave my smaller pressure washer to my neighbor (retired now, really
cool guy btw), and I brought it over to him and tried to show him how
it works. But I could get no high pressure. The model is a DeVilbiss
WGV2021-1 2000psi, 2gpm with a B&S 6HP engine.

Water flows through the wand at low pressure. When the engine is on,
there is no different in pressure, its just tap pressure. The pump did
not freeze over winter as I had it indoors. Last fall it was working
fine.

Changed the pump oil. No change. Oil was not low.

Changed the wand from high to low and back several times, no change.

Anything else I can try? Are the pumps simple to disassamble and put
back together again? I can get a new pump for $110, but I couldn't
charge him for it.

Any tips welcomed. This is the model:

http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany...product_files/...

Dean

Mine pulled that crap on me and I pressed the trigger on and off a bunch
of times and it finally started pumping. You might give that a try before
you have someone tear it apart and clean it.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794- Hide quoted text -

How does the trigger feed back to the machine? I mean, I know it does,
but I just don't see how. Does the pump need back pressure to go high?

Posted to alt.home.repair

How does the trigger feed back to the machine? I mean, I know it does,
but I just don't see how. Does the pump need back pressure to go high?

There should be a relief valve. It may be stuck.

http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany...62/pk16862.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 4:38 am, wrote:
How does the trigger feed back to the machine? I mean, I know it does,
but I just don't see how. Does the pump need back pressure to go high?

There should be a relief valve. It may be stuck.

http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany...product_files/...

Thanks for the parts link!

Is the relief valve in the trigger mechanism?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dean wrote:
[...]

Does the low pressure stream look right? Seem right? Operate as you
remember it?

It's possible the wand nozzle isn't working. On low, there is lots of room
for t he ater to come out, results in low pressure. On high, all the water
comes out the tiny opening in the end at the pencil spray setting. That
will be high pressure.

If you're not getting the rated input flow needed, you'll never get the
output pressure at full high. The most water moves in low. Less water
moves in high. And it'll burn out the pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 11:29 am, "Pop`" wrote:
dean wrote:
[...]

moves in high. And it'll burn out the pump.- Hide quoted text -

Pressing the trigger makes the jet come out of the thin nozzle, just
like it should do at high pressure, except it is not at high pressure.
The jet is maybe 2-3mm thick. On low-pressure mode, the jet is more of
a thicker, hose-pipe stream. From this point, it looks like the
trigger is working ok.

With the engine running or off, there's no difference in the flow
rate. Seems like the pump just ain't running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 2:53 pm, dean wrote:
On May 14, 11:29 am, "Pop`" wrote:

dean wrote:
[...]

rate. Seems like the pump just ain't running.- Hide quoted text -

sounds like an inadequate water supply. Make sure no hose T's are in
use, they are too restrictive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 May 2007 18:07:12 -0700, dean wrote:

Water flows through the wand at low pressure. When the engine is on,
there is no different in pressure, its just tap pressure. The pump did
not freeze over winter as I had it indoors. Last fall it was working

I experienced this with my PW, I changed out the tip of the wand and
it worked fine.

We have really hard water, so my guess was calcium deposits in the
tip.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 May 2007 07:57:23 -0700, dean wrote:

On May 14, 4:38 am, wrote:
How does the trigger feed back to the machine? I mean, I know it does,
but I just don't see how. Does the pump need back pressure to go high?

There should be a relief valve. It may be stuck.

http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany...product_files/...

Thanks for the parts link!

Is the relief valve in the trigger mechanism?

No. It should be on the pump close to the outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 3:17 pm, Oren wrote:
On 13 May 2007 18:07:12 -0700, dean wrote:

Water flows through the wand at low pressure. When the engine is on,
there is no different in pressure, its just tap pressure. The pump did
not freeze over winter as I had it indoors. Last fall it was working

I experienced this with my PW, I changed out the tip of the wand and
it worked fine.

We have really hard water, so my guess was calcium deposits in the
tip.

--
Oren

I took off the outlet hose, and turned on the machine. The water does
not spurt out of the pipe any faster than when the engine is off. Can
this still be a wand problem then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 May 2007 05:32:32 -0700, dean wrote:

On May 14, 3:17 pm, Oren wrote:
On 13 May 2007 18:07:12 -0700, dean wrote:

Water flows through the wand at low pressure. When the engine is on,
there is no different in pressure, its just tap pressure. The pump did
not freeze over winter as I had it indoors. Last fall it was working

I experienced this with my PW, I changed out the tip of the wand and
it worked fine.

We have really hard water, so my guess was calcium deposits in the
tip.

I took off the outlet hose, and turned on the machine. The water does
not spurt out of the pipe any faster than when the engine is off. Can
this still be a wand problem then?

Tips from the web:

Low nozzle pressure is a common complaint generally caused by one of
the following:

1. Plugged nozzle tip.
2. Inlet screen plugged.
3. Insufficient flow in gallons per minute (not pressure) to the pump.
4. Unloader valve stuck open due to debris lodged under the check
valve ball.
5. Customer use of shutoff-type quick connectors.
6. Plugged hose.

http://pressurewashers.lifetips.com/...her/index.html

--
Oren

#4 is my guess. It is very common if your water isn't "rain water"
clean. Mineral buildup plugs these up pretty fast.

I never worked on one, myself. My only problem once was a clogged tip.

I did read that #4 can still stick, even without freezing. Just by
sitting for long periods of time.

BTW, what type of fluid is used in these pumps?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

mgee1960 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...re-217682-.htm
:
I have a gas powered PW that will sometimes not spray at all or sometimes
stop spraying as I am using it. Is the unloader valve the deal with the
spring & double nut on it?
Thanks for any insight or direction where to find detailed information on
this topic.
Mgee1960

-------------------------------------
wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2007 13:14:51 -0700, Oren wrote:

I never worked on one, myself. My only problem once was a clogged
tip.

I did read that #4 can still stick, even without freezing. Just by
sitting for long periods of time.

BTW, what type of fluid is used in these pumps?

Yes they do. I have got to the point that I shoot a little oil in the
pump when I am shutting it down, just so it won't lock up. My water
sucks here (SW Fla)

There is motor oil in the pump but not on the "water" side

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

mgee1960 wrote:

mgee1960 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...re-217682-.htm
:
I have a gas powered PW that will sometimes not spray at all or sometimes
stop spraying as I am using it. Is the unloader valve the deal with the
spring & double nut on it?
Thanks for any insight or direction where to find detailed information on
this topic.

There can be many causes for your symptoms, but one common issue I've
found is that some people do not understand that many adjustable spray
nozzles have two functions - rotate the nozzle to go between a spot and
a fan pattern, and also push / pull the nozzle front to back to switch
between high pressure spray and low pressure modes. Folks manage to
change between the high and low pressure modes when twisting the nozzle
and then think it's broken.