Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving studs

I'm gonna move a stud over to help accomodate a light fixture that I worked
on this weekend.

The way I see it, if I move the stud over 4", then put another stud 4" to
the other side of the where the first stud was originally I should have my
bases covered. Should I use a stringer between the studs if I do this?

I know, moving a stud to work on a light seems like overkill but if I move
the light I'd have to rerun the wiring, repair the siding where the fixture
hole is, when I could just remove some vaneer paneling in a closet and move
a stud 4" then put the paneling back up.

Am I just being crazy here? Seems like moving a stud would be simple to
do - simpler than repairing cedar siding planks and tearing out a wall to
reroute a wiring run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

I'm gonna move a stud over to help accomodate a light fixture that I
worked on this weekend.

The way I see it, if I move the stud over 4", then put another stud 4"
to the other side of the where the first stud was originally I should
have my bases covered. Should I use a stringer between the studs if I
do this?

I know, moving a stud to work on a light seems like overkill but if I
move the light I'd have to rerun the wiring, repair the siding where the
fixture hole is, when I could just remove some vaneer paneling in a
closet and move a stud 4" then put the paneling back up.

Am I just being crazy here? Seems like moving a stud would be simple to
do - simpler than repairing cedar siding planks and tearing out a wall
to reroute a wiring run.

Ha! I like your solution. Leave the cedar siding alone.

But is the sheathing (ply?) nailed into that stud?
Worse if 2 sheets of sheathing meet there.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 7, 7:03 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I'm gonna move a stud over to help accomodate a light fixture that I worked
on this weekend.

The way I see it, if I move the stud over 4", then put another stud 4" to
the other side of the where the first stud was originally I should have my
bases covered. Should I use a stringer between the studs if I do this?

I know, moving a stud to work on a light seems like overkill but if I move
the light I'd have to rerun the wiring, repair the siding where the fixture
hole is, when I could just remove some vaneer paneling in a closet and move
a stud 4" then put the paneling back up.

Am I just being crazy here? Seems like moving a stud would be simple to
do - simpler than repairing cedar siding planks and tearing out a wall to
reroute a wiring run.

Why actually move the whole thing? If I understand you, this is just
an exterior wall interior (as in between corners) stud whose only real
structural purpose is to serve as a nailing surface for the siding.
Why not just cut out what you need to get access and run a stringer
across the top and bottom and be done?

Again, can't really envision what the end objective is, but seems to
me moving the whole existing stud would be more effort than necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 8:03 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I'm gonna move a stud over to help accomodate a light fixture that I worked
on this weekend.

The way I see it, if I move the stud over 4", then put another stud 4" to
the other side of the where the first stud was originally I should have my
bases covered. Should I use a stringer between the studs if I do this?

I know, moving a stud to work on a light seems like overkill but if I move
the light I'd have to rerun the wiring, repair the siding where the fixture
hole is, when I could just remove some vaneer paneling in a closet and move
a stud 4" then put the paneling back up.

Am I just being crazy here? Seems like moving a stud would be simple to
do - simpler than repairing cedar siding planks and tearing out a wall to
reroute a wiring run.

I'm with Speedy and you.
If you can work from the inside you disturb less.

Was the fixture fastened through the siding and to the stud?
You don't have to move the entire stud, which should be nailed to the
sheathing.
You might saw out the piece you need for access to the wiring, then
sister a new stud to the original.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All excellent comments from all of you - thanks guys.

Originally I had considered using the jigsaw to cut the stud out while I was
installing the light - or rather the replacement light (see my previous post
on "help with porchlight"). I wasn't sure if the exterior studs were
structural or not so I opted to not cut it and decided that moving it would
be better.

I actually totally forgot that the sheathing would be attached to the stud,
one more headache I missed. Cutting the stud then putting stringers up
would work totally. Like I said I just wasn't sure if cutting it would
weaken the framing and do more damage in the long run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 6:38 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

weaken the framing and do more damage in the long run.- Hide quoted text -

Just commenting on the structual aspect:
I was taught that all exterior walls are to be considered load
bearing. Now I don't agree with that in the case of a simple gable
end wall but...

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
s.com...
On May 7, 6:38 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Well I can still install another stud if it looks iffy. Wouldn't be that
hard at all

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

> [...]
it
| would
| be better.
|
| I actually totally forgot that the sheathing would be attached to
the
| stud,
| one more headache I missed. Cutting the stud then putting
stringers up
| would work totally. Like I said I just wasn't sure if cutting it
would
| weaken the framing and do more damage in the long run.- Hide quoted
| text -

| Just commenting on the structual aspect:
| I was taught that all exterior walls are to be considered load
| bearing. Now I don't agree with that in the case of a simple gable
| end wall but...
|
| Harry K
|

| Well I can still install another stud if it looks iffy. Wouldn't be

why move the stud?
why not just install an electrical "pan" box on the stud?

the stud you are moving or cutting could be holding up the ridge or
window/door header.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 May 2007 17:29:14 -0700, dpb wrote:

On May 7, 7:03 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I'm gonna move a stud over to help accomodate a light fixture that I worked
on this weekend.

The way I see it, if I move the stud over 4", then put another stud 4" to
the other side of the where the first stud was originally I should have my
bases covered. Should I use a stringer between the studs if I do this?

I know, moving a stud to work on a light seems like overkill but if I move
the light I'd have to rerun the wiring, repair the siding where the fixture
hole is, when I could just remove some vaneer paneling in a closet and move
a stud 4" then put the paneling back up.

Am I just being crazy here? Seems like moving a stud would be simple to
do - simpler than repairing cedar siding planks and tearing out a wall to
reroute a wiring run.

Since there's apparently wire, a hole, and a fixture already in place,
why do you have to move anything? You aren't making any sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"3G" wrote in message ...

> [...]
| one more headache I missed. Cutting the stud then putting
stringers up
| would work totally. Like I said I just wasn't sure if cutting it
would
| weaken the framing and do more damage in the long run.- Hide quoted
| text -

| Just commenting on the structual aspect:
| I was taught that all exterior walls are to be considered load
| bearing. Now I don't agree with that in the case of a simple gable
| end wall but...
|
| Harry K
|

| Well I can still install another stud if it looks iffy. Wouldn't be
that
| hard at all

why move the stud?
why not just install an electrical "pan" box on the stud?

the stud you are moving or cutting could be holding up the ridge or

I thought of that initially. I actually have the pan box attached to the
sheathing, if I could attach it to the stud I'd have to move the light and
that would entail repairing my siding and possibly pulling the wire.
Besides, I can't stand those pan boxes - my pudgy fingers just aren't nimble
enough.

Studs behind drywall SAl Home Repair 5 October 28th 06 03:17 AM
Iron Studs Rick UK diy 9 November 24th 05 10:09 AM
Using studs of different material [email protected] Woodworking 16 July 25th 05 09:45 PM
Moving magnet / Moving coil cartridges N Cook Electronics Repair 1 April 12th 05 06:28 PM
Moving Companies save when moving [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 12:15 AM