Posted to alt.home.repair
SAl SAl is offline

Default Studs behind drywall

new to the group and i've been checking through the forum trying to
find an answer to this problem i have. I recently repainted my
daughter's room and i am in the process of putting up shelves.

I've put up shelves before and i have a handy little zircon stud finder
that has worked in the past.

Well, this time, i located a stud, marked off where the shelves are
going, an 8" shelf and approximately 12" above that a 10" shelf.

Now, my conundrum.

Where I drilled into the wall, for the 8" shelf, i found the stud no
problem. But when i went to drill 12"s higher for the 10" shelf, no
STUD!! I ran the stud finder around where it should be, and nothing.
I then tried screwing in a 2" screw wherei drilled and it doesn't
appear to be there.

Anyone have any ideas? This is an older house, i think it was remodeled
last in the 50's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sal

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Where I drilled into the wall, for the 8" shelf, i found the stud no
problem. But when i went to drill 12"s higher for the 10" shelf, no
STUD!! I ran the stud finder around where it should be, and nothing.
I then tried screwing in a 2" screw wherei drilled and it doesn't
appear to be there.

Anyone have any ideas? ...

Sounds strange, but who knows what may have been done during the
framing (or some remodel)? I'd say it's time for the wall anchor or
moly bolt(s), depending on load. How much weight you expect this shelf
to hold?

It's unlikely to be worth tearing the wall open to put something solid
in there unless you really _must_ have a lot of weight on a wall-hung
shelf. (That is, if it's for a library shelf w/ lots of heavy books or
some such and can't switch to using a bookcase or supported shelving.)

One alternative would be to go to the very top of the wall just below
the ceiling and find the top plate and fasten into it and hang
something from there to use as the mounting. (One would assume there
_is_ a top plate. )

Oh, a couple more last thoughts---have you explored a couple inches
either side of the last position to see if by chance when the wall was
framed one end of the stud was laid on one side of a mark and the other
end the other? That's a 3" offset from one side of one to the other
side at the other end, possibly. Stranger things been known to happen,
for sure. Also, what happens if you do the "hunt and peck" operation
in steps directly above the last known place? Might then be able to
follow it's path or discover it actually does simply end.

Oh, the ugly thought...any chance there's been some damp or other
problem and you've just uncovered termite or other damage? This
room doesn't back on a "wet wall" by any chance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SAl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Perhaps the area was once a window, now covered over? The only other thing I
can think of is an attack by avian termites (the work from the top down).

Posted to alt.home.repair

A way to do this would be to mount a piece of wood to the wall, then
mount the shelves to the piece of wood instead of the wall. You would
want to use a nice piece of wood and pstain and varnish it, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Happens all the tme, sometimes the framers spike two short pieces
together and use the waste for a stud giving you an offset between top
and bottom.
Sometimes an old wall opening gets sealed off.

SAl wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SAl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Explore the cavity by drilling a small hole and feeling around with a long
curved wire. If your hole is anywhere near a stud you can find it that way.

Don Young